PDA

View Full Version : Autometers pandemic install report

snowbird
02-24-2006, 06:19 PM
If you think a Marauder should stay stock, please skip to the next tread. Parental guidance is recommended.

In mid December, I went to install a Snow Methanol kit (Colorado) to solve that nasty local problem with 91 octane cheap fuel availability, especially with the winter blend. The kit is triggered by a vacuum (boost) controller and can be fine tuned by two knobs. Initial install proved to be very effective after 2 minutes of adjusting. No more knock. Great.

Since I live in the bushes when it comes to access of a dyno or tuner (1500-2000 miles round trip to the nearest available/knowledgeable one), live in a 130 F degrees yearly spread area and since it’s my first power adder application, I hardly know much so I had to find a way to understand/monitor things like temperature and loads. After a couple of days of running Methanol, questions started to arise in my head on how it worked so I decided to plan the installation of a methanol pressure gauge (in fact a mechanical 200 PSI oil pressure gauge) to monitor what was going on. So far, pretty legitimate but then I went overboard with the “while at it” part. … I mean, really overboard.

To complete the 4376 Boost gauge Ultralite finish already installed, I ordered the 4322 Methanol (oil) pressure gauge, added a green LED for pump action and a red one for warning low methanol reservoir, ditched the dummy oil gauge for a 4353 one, added a single channel IAT4372 plugged between the methanol nozzle and the throttle body (in Fahrenheit since a more appropriate Kelvin scale for Canada would have been more appropriate but not available !), a 4345 EGT plugged in the passenger side collector, a 4363 fuel pressure, a 4357 transmission temp, a 4385 clock as a redundant filler for future need (coming soon to market wideband AFR, or 4349 diff temp or 4380 Bling ricer D-pic) in the center of the lower pod and a matched 4391voltmeter. I ended up with a big 5 gauges pod I had to design and fit and the other stock down one, to cut and paste to three.

When I started opening the boxes, I noticed how Autometer guys were creative: Some gauges had the wirings, some didn’t, some had an aluminium U shaped hook to mount them, some had a plastic donut to do the same function, some didn’t have any, and, some had to be connected with couplers I had to find. Oh well. But they all worked when properly plugged.

I took off the central moulding to figure things out in a work in progress way. In between the mounting legs of the moulding (hence the gap each side of the methanol gauge), I “dremeled” 7 holes for the top 5 full sweep gauges and Leds and used the available space over and around the ventilation control unit to fit in the wires and tubes. The top pod has been made with lime tree and pine wood, body steel to cover the bottom and siding. Empty weight of the top 5 gauges pod is estimated at about 2 pounds and use the stock moulding pins to be fitted in place. For a reversal, I would just have to find another moulding. The lower stock pod had the face taken off and remodelled for 3 gauges (trans, clock and volt) with the same technique used previously.

With all the little difficulties I encountered, I went for a simple shape “form follow function” and managed to insert about a third of all the meters inside the moulding and dash; the forest of wires prevented further blending in. From dead center, the shape doesn’t look too bad and blend OK with the rest of the dash but with an angle and maybe for some, the pod look a bit like Marty Feldman eyes encountering unexpectedly Pamela Anderson in his own bedroom. Anyway, after a few days, I’m used to it as I enjoy the information.

For the finishing touch, I used BBQ spray rust paint for good initial grip, textured decoration spray paint for a rough leather imitation and regular interior plastic spray paint from Ford for a final charcoal black colour (thus making all 3 pods the same color and finish) . So here you have it: 9 gauges in three pods!

Rider90
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Holy Moly.

I have a water/methanol kit lying around from my brother's 7.3L TD, along with a few buckets of straight up methanol. Hmmmmmmm

HwyCruiser
02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Holy Moly.

Yeah, what he said.

Yvon, you're going to need a weapons system operator / co-pilot to keep tabs of all those gauges. Where's the master arm switch???

Mike M
02-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Tell me more about the injection kit. I am also stuck with 91 octane, how do you like it?

ckadiddle
02-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Nice work!! Tastefully done.

JMan
02-25-2006, 04:57 AM
That's an awesome array of gauges. I agree, you'll need an electronic warfare operations co-pilot to go anywhere! Does that temperature control say -14*C? "Holy cold air induction, Batman!" Mine read +42*f one time. I thought that was CAI. Also, one last blurb - the tach looks like idle, the shifter is in L1 and there's nobody in the car? Can't see the parking brake pedal . . . I'm just a nervous guy I guess!

J

jimlam56
02-25-2006, 05:07 AM
Wow, nice job.
Looks great!

TripleTransAm
02-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Also, one last blurb - the tach looks like idle, the shifter is in L1 and there's nobody in the car? Can't see the parking brake pedal . . . I'm just a nervous guy I guess!

BRAKE light is visible in the dash.

-18C at this moment where I live... must have been much colder overnight because all my windows are fogged up to silly levels this morning.

Yvon, there are dynos to be found in Montreal. The one that comes to mind is Zeke's in Lasalle. Don't expect any Ford tuning knowledge, though. They are the guys who were subcontracted by SLP to perform modifications for the Firehawk, Camaro SS, and the initial 2 years of WS6 Ram Air for General Motors. Otherwise, I hear there are some decent Mustang houses west of me in the Toronto region. So, maybe 200 km to Montreal and another 500 km further to get to TO. I can try to get more detailed info: one of the guys on my local F-body site is an ex-Mustang guy.

Nice job, by the way.

snowbird
02-25-2006, 06:27 AM
JD,
You're quite right ! It,s quite tempting to keep your eyes off the road for too long. Discipline.

Mike,
Methanol injection is the answer for 91 octane and is as effective as a blower for HP. The Snow kit pump the methanol at about 150 PSI. With the vacuum controller (best for centrifugal) you just adjust it to your application. In my case: onset at about 2 pounds and full at about 5 pounds. In the install test while plugging it, we shooted it in the air and it's like a very fine fog. In the intake stream, i guess its really blending with the rest of the air. On the first winter of ownership, i was NA and had that knock problem, this year, same story but a lot more dangerous with boost.

Now the problem is solved and it also give you a lot confidence when you push the go pedal. Also, with my pressure gauge and leds, i can see it working: the green led start to flicker on onset, then on full, the led glow full and the gauge needle just race to 150 PSI in a fraction of a second. At that moment, it's time to look out front ! In the winter you're always sideways and trees have a way to cross your path without looking !!

Skadiddle, Jimland56, Thanks. It was quite a project to make.

Jman, You've got good eyes ! I did put the parking brake and went on the back seat to take picture! Minus 14 C ? Yes. Welcome to Canada !! We call that a heat wave since it's not minus 25 or 30 !

TripleTransam, Thanks for the offer. When i'll go to a tuner/dyno session, i will want somebody that have first hand experience on Marauders. I'll stay in touch.

sfsv
02-25-2006, 06:48 AM
:help: It is amazing what you can do when you are snowed in up north and have some time on your hands.

MarauderTJA
02-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Love it, nice job. I though about your idea some time ago with a tranny temp, oil temp gauge etc. I have been looking for a wrecked Marauder where I could take the factory aluminum dash panel, drill holes and install some the gauges to keep a more factory look. Your system is the cats meow.:D

O's Fan Rich
02-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Could I ask what pod # you have on the steering column?

maraudernkc
02-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Yvon, holy cow Batman! You have out done yourself. Very nice! Do you have a red wine injection system inside the car? If not, that's my ideal.

Don't forget to change your fuel filter. Your fuel filter is the worst we have seen on a Marauder. What are they doing or not doing to you gas up there?

Yvon, it was a pleasure meeting you when you were down here and you know where to go to get the biggiest burrito. LOL!

Zack
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Dude, I love it! I admire your skills.
Please answer, 'How would you GAUGE the difficulty of all this'? !!!

TripleTransAm
02-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Don't forget to change your fuel filter. Your fuel filter is the worst we have seen on a Marauder. What are they doing or not doing to you gas up there?

Oh boy, now you've got me curious, Yvon... what brand fuel do you use? I usually inspect my fuel filters on all my cars and they're usually pretty clean, but I usually stick to big brand stations (and even then, I firmly believe not all stations are equal - I have my preferred places when it comes to maximizing performance and mileage).

I'd hate to think it was the entire Quebec City market that offered crappy fuel...
(However, I just checked my mileage database for my GTA and indeed the lowest mileage for a 'normal' tank I ever went through was when I stayed in Quebec City for a one week vacation in July 1995 - I went up there to see a Genesis tribute-band called The Musical Box do their first rendition of the Nursery Crime/Foxtrot show at Le Grand Théâtre).

Hotrauder
02-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Snowbird, Great concept and terrific install. Your fabrication is incredible. I know as I have 2 masterpieces by ZACK. Your work is right there. Congrats. Dennis:beer:

snowbird
02-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Sfsv: You just hit the nail about winter !

Maraudertja, Thanks. The bad part about Marauders, there's not much parts in the aftermarket if you compare to Mustangs. The good part is : there's not much parts in the aftermarket if you compare to Mustangs !!, meaning, you have the excuse to build your own and challenge your skills !

Richlong: This is the standard column pod from Autometer for Mustangs. It is not a direct fit. You have to cut holes and fill them because there is a bump on the top that is not same shape as our car. But it is doable with patience.

Greg: Thanks Wine distributor ... Let me see: A Y coupling from the methanol pump, a pillar nozzle pointed at the driver, an oak barrel in the trunk ... (!!) and ... About the fuel filter, i did change it yesterday when we finished the wiring. We also did a Performance automatic deep pan and a trans fluid flush. The old FF was perfect so i changed it for nothing. I don't know about the old factory one that we changed together last summer. Maybe they had droped it in a litter box prior to install !!

Zack: It was quite a bit of a challenge. At one point i wasn't shure it would work. Cutting the four slices of wood with about only a quarter inch of wood left on the top and bottom with a 2 inch drill bit need a smooth hand, dremelled them for fit after each layer had the glue dried etc. I had the damn moulding on my kitchen table for almost a month in my spare time. The wiring (about 50 of them) was also challenging to put inside the dash and then pass true the firewall. Below, some more intermediate pictures with the steel part that had to be "persuaded" to fit over the pod. But i think it was more of a patience thing. Do a little bit each day and stop just before starting to swear.

Steve: I don't think the fuel is that bad grit wise, it is just the damn octane rating that is weak. I did try all brands available with the same result. I even emailed the fuel company to rant but they don't care.

Hotrauder: Thanks but i think Zack is the master without doubts. In fact, it is a bit of is fault (that i did that) because he is the one who made me buy that Dremel tool when i asked him last year about those grilles ... Now, i'm dremelling everything !! :D

Tom Doan
02-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Gang, I'll keep telling you while you cry over your blown up motors, this system works great. I don't care what you run or what your tuner says when you punch it with too little gas in the tank and uncover the pick up you WILL run lean and there are people here to prove it, BOOOM!!! This is the cheapest way to make your motor last and I would not drag race with out it.

fastblackmerc
02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Nice Job!!! :banana2:

LVMarauder
02-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Marauder cleared for take off, runway 27 right.