PDA

View Full Version : Calipers??

KSMM03
03-01-2006, 04:29 AM
:help:

Okay, I've ponied up the $$ for Dennis's EBC rotors and pads deal. Have been reading about the different calipers. However, if I read things right (on the EBC site...or maybe it was Summit's) (It's friggin' early :) ), methinks I'd have to use the OEM calipers with the pads, right??

If that's the case, and I'm not too sure I want to do anything to the OEM calipers, unless suggestions suggest it. (yeah, its too early to be writing this).
And, I won't be replacing pads for another 70k miles.

So, any thoughts, suggestions, ideas???

Thanks!!

sweetair
03-01-2006, 02:06 PM
If what I know about this mod is right, you will be using the same calipers. All that is being changed is the rotors and pads. The rotor is still 12". The OEM caliper should work.....Good luck

KSMM03
03-02-2006, 08:47 AM

So, I take it there are no aftermarket calipers that would utilize the "OEM" brakes??

fastblackmerc
03-02-2006, 09:02 AM

So, I take it there are no aftermarket calipers that would utilize the "OEM" brakes??
I don't think so.

SergntMac
03-02-2006, 11:31 AM
No need to replace the OEM calipers, they are prolly the best FLM makes. But, I bought the EBC GB too, and I'm polishing and ceramic coating the calipers for a little curb appeal.

KSMM03
03-02-2006, 11:48 AM
:D

Well, having only one car, and not wanting to be without it for a period of time, I'm thinking of buying a set, and having them powdercoated, then do the calipers, rotors, steel lines, and pads all at once.

Hey, 70K miles, might as well replace them and that way not have to worry about them for another 70k (eeeekkkkk).

Thanks,

Chris

fastblackmerc
03-02-2006, 11:50 AM
:D

Well, having only one car, and not wanting to be without it for a period of time, I'm thinking of buying a set, and having them powdercoated, then do the calipers, rotors, steel lines, and pads all at once.

Hey, 70K miles, might as well replace them and that way not have to worry about them for another 70k (eeeekkkkk).

Thanks,

Chris
I got a set of calipers (frt & rear) and an original MM throttle body off eBay for less than $75.00.

Hotrauder
03-02-2006, 11:57 AM
No need to replace the OEM calipers, they are prolly the best FLM makes. But, I bought the EBC GB too, and I'm polishing and ceramic coating the calipers for a little curb appeal.

Mac, I like this idea. Are you doing your own? If so would you share the process with us newbies? I would like to do my own also, if possible. Dennis:D

SergntMac
03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I use a lot of different materials to polish metal, all 3/8 drill driven. Soft cloth wheels to sanding drums. The ceramic coating is handled buy a local shop. Next best bling to chrome, which is just way too expensive these days.

fastblackmerc
03-02-2006, 01:01 PM
I use a lot of different materials to polish metal, all 3/8 drill driven. Soft cloth wheels to sanding drums. The ceramic coating is handled buy a local shop. Next best bling to chrome, which is just way too expensive these days.
FYI. I got a quote to chrome plate a stock MM upper intake and both valve covers for $500.00. Intake $200.00 and $150.0 per valve cover.

Hotrauder
03-02-2006, 02:21 PM

thanks, Mac. This has to be superior to just paint. And I have the time. Dennis:D