PDA

View Full Version : Classic movies with classic Marauders

merc406
03-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Just watched "Fireball 500" after 37 years, not a bad movie and had some nice Daytona clips from 1966 with 64 Marauders racing and spinnin, was nice too see the cars from the 50's and 60's, cars that actually look different from make to make, year to year.

MarauderMark
03-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Just watched "Fireball 500" after 37 years, not a bad movie and had some nice Daytona clips from 1966 with 64 Marauders racing and spinnin, was nice too see the cars from the 50's and 60's, cars that actually look different from make to make, year to year.
I've never seen or heard of this movie but will try to see it.:D

Bluerauder
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
... was nice too see the cars from the 50's and 60's, cars that actually look different from make to make, year to year.
I remember "Fireball 500" and a time in September each year when the new model cars were "unveiled" to the public on prime time TV shows. It was an event to be there to see the new Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Plymouth, etc. in a time when there were major body style changes every 2 years. :up: Even in the off years, there were enough tweaks in styling to keep everybody interested.

Now everything seems to be the same .... same --- same. I can't tell a Honda from a Hyundai from a Nissan from a ..... you get the idea. :rolleyes:

jerrym3
03-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Maybe they all look alike because there's more computer design than human design.

September/October was a great time for car nuts and little kids. Some dealers would put new cars in the showroom and soap up the showroom windows (with a small peep hole) so that you had to go inside for a real look.

Others would have a large cover over the car.

Even though the car designers would jump all over new styling ideas at just about the same time (wrap around windshields, tail fins, quad headlights, two and three tone paint, etc), you could still tell a Ford from a Merc and a Chev from a Buick.

1949 and 1955 seemed to be stand out years for styling changes.

hitchhiker
03-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Maybe they all look alike because there's more computer design than human design.

September/October was a great time for car nuts and little kids. Some dealers would put new cars in the showroom and soap up the showroom windows (with a small peep hole) so that you had to go inside for a real look.

Others would have a large cover over the car.

Even though the car designers would jump all over new styling ideas at just about the same time (wrap around windshields, tail fins, quad headlights, two and three tone paint, etc), you could still tell a Ford from a Merc and a Chev from a Buick.

1949 and 1955 seemed to be stand out years for styling changes.

I remember being excited about seeing the new car models which were covered until that special day in September.

:D

fastblackmerc
03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
When I worked for a L&M dealership back in the mid - late '70's we would stop work when the new cars came in off the trailers. Was a big thing back then, newspaper & TV coverage, unveiling parties at the dealerships...

jerrym3
03-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Watching Walk the Line last night, there's a scene where Cash and Carter are walking into a church.

In the parking lot is what looks to be a real rare Merc; a 1957 2 dr hardtop (no center post) station wagon. That year (and maybe 1958/59?) Mercs offered 2 and 4 dr hardtop wagons.

Cobra25
03-06-2006, 07:22 AM
I've never seen or heard of that Movie either, but it sounds like something I'd like to see.

Bluerauder
03-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I've never seen or heard of that Movie either, but it sounds like something I'd like to see.
The movie dates back to 1966 .... been on DVD for about a year. :D More info here >>>>>>>> http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/fireball500.html

Canadasvt
03-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Watching Walk the Line last night, there's a scene where Cash and Carter are walking into a church.

In the parking lot is what looks to be a real rare Merc; a 1957 2 dr hardtop (no center post) station wagon. That year (and maybe 1958/59?) Mercs offered 2 and 4 dr hardtop wagons.

Dennis drove a '57 Mercury 2dr hardtop station wagon on My Classic Car this morning.:beer:

http://www.hemmings.com/images/dealers/kkvintag/hires/57Voyager08.JPG