PDA

View Full Version : Engine stall, buring smell.

Flat Eric
04-19-2003, 05:25 PM
Just sharing my experience...

Tried to start my Marauder, lights come on nothing, no starter or anything.
Tried a 2nd time, still nothing, get out, smell like smoldering plastic
coming from engine.

Had car towed to dealer, who gave me the following service analysis:

CONFIRMED COMPLAINT PERFORMED EEC TEST NO CODES CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE CHECKED PCM CALIBRATION IS ALREADY AT LATEST LEVEL
CALLED HOT LINE I
12650D EEC (QUICK TEST) - DIAGNOSIS - L
10 WP94 0.20
12650D45 PIN POINT TEST - DIAGNOSIS - L
10 WP94 0.30
MT MT 6C315 MORE TIME NEEDED TO CLEAR KAM CHECK
FUEL TABLES AND LEARNED IDLE STRATEGIES, CALLED HOT LINE IS CLOSED
10 WP94 1.00

when i picked it up they told me the chip was wiped and had to be replaced!!! Could that be it, what about the buring smell :-)
Maybe they should have waiting for the HOT LINE to open ;-)

btw. this is the same dealer who at my first service, rotated the front tires with the rear. When i pointed out that they are different sizes they said "did that come from the factory like that?"

Think mine is the only MM they sold, but the services guy sure likes the car ;-)

LincMercLover
04-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Did you happen to check for that wire chaffing?

RF Overlord
04-19-2003, 05:33 PM
Hey, Eric...

Welcome aboard...

So they put in a new PCM?

Flat Eric
04-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi guys (my god 1000+ posts!) :-)

i feel like part of a family here, the posts are informative and the sense of humor is great to see.

Yes, they said they replaced the chip, i checked the wire but didn't see any chaffing there.

My engine build date is 05/13/02 btw.

TAF
04-19-2003, 05:52 PM
O.K. I'm confused..."replaced the chip"?

When I got a good look at the ECM when the RPC was being installed it looked to me more like a circuit board instead of an easily replaceable "chip"...please correct me if I'm wrong. (like you guys wouldn't)

RF Overlord
04-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Burning ICs WILL make an acrid smoke with a very distinctive smell...

They must have replaced the entire PCM as the "chip" we speak of here is not a dealer-supplied item (unless you have a VERY mod-tolerant dealer... :D ) and there are no separately replaceable parts inside the PCM...

Glad it was simple enough...now you most likely have the most recently updated software in your new PCM as well...

Have you done any mods/upgrades to your car, yet?

WolfeBros
04-19-2003, 06:07 PM
They would have replaced the whole unit. I doubt even Ford at the factory would do a chip level repair these days.

Welcome Eric.

TAF
04-19-2003, 06:53 PM
So..what your saying is...the dealership would have a stock PCM/ECM (whatever the acronym) in the parts department, that is replaced and then flashed with the Marauder program?

WolfeBros
04-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Todd I don't know for sure that they flash them at the dealer with the complete program or not. It sounds like they have that capability. Its that or they keep some of each model in stock. It would sure be cheaper if they could stock a similar item and then just program it for the specific application. But they do just plug in a new unit. The old one probably gets tagged and sent to a depot to verify it as a failure.

RF Overlord
04-19-2003, 07:00 PM
deleted until information verified

WolfeBros
04-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
Todd, the ECM would have the programming already in it.

RF,
Could you patch it so it could get The Speed Channel ??

:lol:

TAF
04-19-2003, 07:05 PM
It would have to be a pretty big dealership to have a Marauder ECM in stock...

That was my thought...I'm just wondering exactly what they did for our new friend here. I can't imagine that they would have pre-programmed Marauder ECMs in stock. Hell every Ford L/M dealer I've spoken with has nothing in stock that would be specific for the Marauder. So I was wondering if it's the same unit as for say a CV/GM then they plug up the computer and download.

I'm just concerned that he was told "we replaced your chip"...sounds to me like the "hydolock" we had earlier this week...someone not knowing what to say.

RF Overlord
04-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Todd:

I deleted my post until I can verify that what I said was valid...but you may be right about there being a generic CV/GM ECM that is downloaded with the appropriate software when it's installed...

TAF
04-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Todd:

I deleted my post until I can verify that what I said was valid...but you may be right about there being a generic CV/GM ECM that is downloaded with the appropriate software when it's installed...

Now THAT would be scary...:lol:

Hey...do a remote "Comcast Flash" of Wolfes ECM and get him the Speed Channel, will ya?

And can you download The Playboy Channel for me? I've already got Speed!! :help: :D

Flat Eric
04-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, don't tell me they put a Grand Marquis program in my ECM! :-)

TAF
04-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Flat Eric
Hey guys, don't tell me they put a Grand Marquis program in my ECM! :-)

Eric,

When you drove away...

did you feel a sudden urge to drive around with you left turn signal on...all the time???

did you feel like having dinner at 3:30pm to make the "Special"???

did you have a sudden urge to go sit on a bench at the mall for hours...????

did you by any chance start telling the same story over and over again....????

If not...you MAY still be O.K. :lol:

Flat Eric
04-19-2003, 07:31 PM
yes, and the grandma's in their Grand Marquis were winking at me... (as they overtook me :-o )

2003' MM
Modifications to date!
scotch brite removed....
(does that count as a performance mod, since the car is 1oz lighter now)

WolfeBros
04-19-2003, 08:14 PM
If your real lucky they screwed up and put in a Sable ECM..........
I can hear the ahhhhhh's in the audience.

Don't worry Eric....you are wayyyyy to new to understand this inside joke.:lol:

martyo
04-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by WolfeBros
Don't worry Eric....you are wayyyyy to new to understand this inside joke.:lol:

Eric: If you don't get the reference, run while you still have a chance!!

RF Overlord
04-19-2003, 09:02 PM
I can see the headlines now:

"SABLES DISABLED!"

All across the country, drivers are reporting their cars have been broken into and the Engine Control Modules stolen. By a strange coincidence, all of the affected vehicle are Mercury Sables. Also strange is the fact that many of the complainants have reported seeing large, black, 4-door sedans in the immediate area shortly before the thefts occurred.

"Frankly, we're stumped..." says Sergeant H.A. MacCarthy of the Chicago Police Department's newly-founded Anti-Street Racing Division.

DLoreanMARAUDER
04-19-2003, 09:32 PM
NOW THATS ENTERTAINMET :)

Who needs the speed channel when you got this form LOL

martyo
04-19-2003, 09:38 PM
"Frankly, we're stumped..." says Sergeant H.A. MacCarthy of the Chicago Police Department's newly-founded Anti-Street Racing Division.

Easy does it there RF. Mac in charge of the Anti-Street Racing Division? I really doubt that...... Remember Mac's motto: "I will be the fastest one pulling away from the stop light....."

Bigdogjim
04-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Welcome Eric: If you cut through all the fun stuff I sure someone will point you in the right direction...How long have you had your MM??Let us know the out come..
Sable my a$$ watch out for the Honda's :lol: :lol:
Big Dog

LincMercLover
04-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Damn guys... you're gunna scare the guy!

Eric, someone needs to teach ya about the smilies man! No "noses." ;) Also, a full list of smilies are accessable when you hit "Post Reply." Over time, you'll learn them by heart, as you can see with everyone here's favorite, the "LOL." :lol:

Mike M
04-19-2003, 10:52 PM
They can download the flash program ala cart from ford.

looking97233
04-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Goes like this: Install new PCM, plug in WDS(world diagnostic system), make sure new pcm and everthing else is okay, download program to pcm, check to make sure everything is still okay. Done.

RF Overlord
04-20-2003, 06:23 PM
looking, where exactly do they plug this WDS in...to the OBD-II port or the "other" connector? You know the one; the empty one on the PCM that we have no idea what it's used for? (cough...ahem)