PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid change- Power Steering fluid spec

juno
03-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Going thru my brakes today in preperation for Sebring :) :beer: The rotors and pads are fine but I am flushing my brake fluid . Boy is it nasty! I even stuck my hand vacuum, with an attachment, in the brake reservoir to suck out all the crappy fluid in the bottom. Can't get it all. It's fine, but those last few green Mils are bugging me. Has anyone here replaced the brake reservoir?

I noticed my power steering fluid could use a dollop or two, maybe a flush. I looked up the spec and it called for Mercon ATF. No number. Can I use the Mercon V ATF? What is the collective using?

TIA!!!

RF Overlord
03-05-2006, 09:25 AM
juno, do NOT use Mercon V in your P/S...

Regular Mercon has no "number" per se, but it's just about always combined with Dexron III on the container label, as in "DexronIII/Mercon" ... Dexron is the GM spec and Mercon is the Ford spec for the same fluid.

juno
03-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the quick response!

So you are saying to use a Dextron III/Mercon ATF in the PS system?

BTW, I am taking a sunscreen application break.

Just thought I'd throw that in there for you cold folk. :)

Blackened300a
03-05-2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks Pal. It will only be another 2 months before Ill be doing the same

jdando
03-05-2006, 02:02 PM

:mad: Not nice to tease those of us up in the frozen tundra:mad:

What brake pads are you running at Sebring? I went through a set of "road" pads in a weekend event last year. Keep an eye on them! This year I am stepping up to some track pads. Hopefully I will have a more consistent braking experience.

jeremy

Marauderjack
03-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey RF...

What's the problem using Mercon V in the PS unit??:confused:

Just curious since you adamant about it??:eek:

Marauderjack:D

RF Overlord
03-05-2006, 05:13 PM
So you are saying to use a Dextron III/Mercon ATF in the PS system? It's Dexron (not Dextron), but yes...that's correct.
What's the problem using Mercon V in the PS unit??Mercon V is a more highly friction modified version of Mercon and may not be compatible with other components in the steering system. It may also change the steering effort. I'm sure using a few ounces for top-up won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't do a complete flush with it. If you want to change to a "better" P/S fluid, use Mobil 1 synthetic Mercon.