PDA

View Full Version : Emissions exam with a performance tune?

BigGuyBigCar
03-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Question to all, but perhaps especially to MA residents. As you may have read, I just bought an '04 with a Reinhart tune and 180 thermostat. Any thoughts on my expecting to pass or fall the emissions part of the state examination?

Thanks -

David

P.S. My chosen handle is because I'm 6'4". Everyone else in the family is over 6'. I am SO happy that my son (6'2") or daughter (6'1") can be in the back seat behind me and I'm not sitting forward with my knees splayed on either side of the steering wheel.

bagpiper
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I have the Reinhart tune and 180 therm,never had problem.

fastblackmerc
03-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Here in NC they just hook their computer to the car and if there are any codes you fail. If you erase any codes you have to have at least 100 miles logged before you can get it tested / retested.

BigGuyBigCar
03-10-2006, 01:23 PM
End of suspense: car passed.

What was funny was that before the guy started the test, he left the room for a few minutes. Shortly after he got back the shop's mechanics drifted over to the outside door to take a look. A few of them had seen a black before, but not a red. And not up close. We talked a bit and I left.

rayjay
03-10-2006, 01:52 PM
A few of them had seen a black before, but not a red. And not up close. We talked a bit and I left.

Not red, DTR :D

G-Man
03-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Question to all, but perhaps especially to MA residents. As you may have read, I just bought an '04 with a Reinhart tune and 180 thermostat. Any thoughts on my expecting to pass or fall the emissions part of the state examination?

Thanks -

David

As long as you didn't change the cams and all of the emission tests are still turned on in the program, it will pass. You may get a computer error the first time that you go if you have not cycled the car enough to have all of the test run. However, they will let you come back and the computer has logic in it to not allow it to error again.

RF Overlord
03-10-2006, 06:47 PM
BigGuy, I know you already passed, but for future peace of mind, all the emissions inspector does here in MA is plug the Commonwealth's Big-Brother computer into the OBD-II port under the dash. If the OBD-II programme reports that it's "ready", then you pass. It doesn't actually report any emissions readings, so, basically, as long as your CEL isn't lit, you will pass.

BigGuyBigCar
03-10-2006, 08:01 PM
RF - Yeah, I was suprised that the guy didn't stick a wand up the exhaust the way I remember in IL. I've lived in MA a few years now, but usually I sit in the waiting room reading PEOPLE until I'm told I passed or failed. This was first time I watched.

metroplex
03-11-2006, 08:30 AM
In Michigan, I send them some money and they mail back a new registration card and plate sticker. Emissions inspection? What's that?

However in NJ they do the entire thing and even check your brakes to see if its pulling.

jgc61sr2002
03-11-2006, 07:36 PM
BigGuy, I know you already passed, but for future peace of mind, all the emissions inspector does here in MA is plug the Commonwealth's Big-Brother computer into the OBD-II port under the dash. If the OBD-II programme reports that it's "ready", then you pass. It doesn't actually report any emissions readings, so, basically, as long as your CEL isn't lit, you will pass.

Same in NY for 1996 and up vehicles.
A check engine light on = Failure.