PDA

View Full Version : Car Polishing

Eric91Z
03-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, after reading threads on here and some of the car detailing sites, I have gone ahead and ordered a Porter polisher from the www.Autopia-carcare.com website.

I am a Zaino user, but have some scratches that need to be buffed out on the front bumper and passenger fender due to catching the very edge of the garage door weatherstrip pulling out of the garage. Most should come out, but there are some that will call for a repaint at some time (waiting until I can afford to get a spoiler and have that painted and the S55 taillight/backup light treatment at the same time).

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has any special recommendation on using this polisher. My car is silver and the wife's is black. I will be using some of the Sonus SFX-2 that comes with on both cars and got some Sonus SFX-1 to use on the scratches on my car. Also picked up some bug/tar remover from them to use to try and get bugs off the wife's car.

I will probably start by using the SFX-1 on my car and the bug/tar remover on the front end and mirrors of the wife's car. Then a round of the SFX-2 on both cars. Then follow their instructions on using the Porter to apply some Zaino Z-2 Pro with the ZFX on both cars, maybe with some Z-5 mixed in on the wife's black car.

Any hints or tips on using the polisher? I have never used one before, but really hoping it will help speed up the detailing time at least on the wife's car. I figure I give each car a full weekend to do the work. I think I will try and plan the cleanup on the Marauder around the time the stock wheels/tires go back on and the calipers get painted. Plus, a nice wash with Simple Green or similiar for the wheel wells and got to figure out something for the engine bay. Otherwise I will take it in and get it steam cleaned for $15 for a buddy that does detailing...

blackf0rk
03-15-2006, 01:09 PM
1. If the scratch doesn't come out - don't press harder. Most people know a buffer wont remove any scratch, but many people fool themselves into thinking it.

2. With that being said, go easy. It's like cutting wood - measure twice; cuz once it's cut you can't put the wood back on. Same with your clearcoat.

3. Never buff into an edge. Always buff off the edge. This will prevent burning the finish.

Eric91Z
03-15-2006, 01:44 PM
From what I have been reading it says to let the polisher and the compunds you use do all the work. Not to put much (if any) extra pressure on it. And I understand trying to push harder will start going through clearcoat and paint and I definitely don't want that.

I should rephrase that they are more "scuffs" that I am trying to take off. The ones I am going to try and get rid of will not catch a fingernail when the nail is moved over them. The ones that will catch a nail I have already had the body shop quote me on the repaint along with other work I want done.

I plan on picking up some of that blue painters tape that you use on interior trim when painting to tape of some of the chrome and other trim to help protect them.

Mike Poore
03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
You will be amazed at the results. We're using Meguiars 3 step professional polishes/yellow wax; but any good product is going to give outstanding results. Take notice to the speed control rotating switch on the back of the Porter Cable. I never saw it until we got our second polisher. The most unbelievable part is the swirl marks will be gone from the black car. Seeing Bruits' black beauty at Big Bats more than a year ago, convinced me.

blackf0rk
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Make sure you mask off the plastic on your mirrors. If you get compund on it, you can rub it off, but the white mark(s) will keep coming back.

natedog1284
03-15-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I had a question. I looked on Autopia's site and I was looking at the buffer you bought. Looks like a nice piece of equipment, but I wanted to ask anyone who had already purchaced this if it was a good investment. The idea of making my life easier is always appealing, but I'm so scared of burning my paint/clearcoat, that I'm hesitant to apply any waxes or polishes in any way but by hand, (of course, as you all know, this is no small undertaking). Anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks.

-Nate

Todd
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I had a question. I looked on Autopia's site and I was looking at the buffer you bought. Looks like a nice piece of equipment, but I wanted to ask anyone who had already purchaced this if it was a good investment. The idea of making my life easier is always appealing, but I'm so scared of burning my paint/clearcoat, that I'm hesitant to apply any waxes or polishes in any way but by hand, (of course, as you all know, this is no small undertaking). Anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks.

-Nate

I have the porter cable polisher from www.griotsgarage.com (http://www.griotsgarage.com). I am pretty sure it is the same unit as the one mentioned on the site. But they sell different pads for it and the mounting system is a little different.

It is a great investment. I have had mine for years. Works great. I would stronglyh recommend buying one.e

DEFYANT
03-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I learned along time ago that I do not do well with an automated polisher. I do it by hand or pay a professional.

Eric91Z
03-15-2006, 08:17 PM

-Nate

I went with the Sonus SFX Polisher kit that comes with the different mounting pads and multiple different pads. Everything I have read says to use an orbital polisher (like the Porter) so as not to burn the paint or clearcoat. And definitely don't use too much pressure. And all I have read says that with a little practice you can get good results with this product.

Then again, I have always wanted to open my own detailing company, but there just isn't the need for it in my area. Maybe something I will start doing on the side for extra "Trilogy" cash and to pay off the products I have gotten - after practicing on our cars of course. Plus, I have a buddy with a nice, black 300C that wants someone to detail his car for him. Might start with him as my first customer...

Warpath
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
...3. Never buff into an edge. Always buff off the edge. This will prevent burning the finish.

Can you please explain a little more what the difference is between buffing off vs. into an edge. I thought you were supposed to stay away from edges since the paint is thinner there.

I have so many hairline scratches it looks like my Cobra is growing hair. Wax usually masks them fairly well. But, one of these days I'll spend the time to remove them.

MarauderMark
03-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I learned along time ago that I do not do well with an automated polisher. I do it by hand or pay a professional.
Ya know i bought one. its still in the box unopened and after reading about burning and edging .Charlie i may be with on this as well.:up:not really sure if i want to try this.

Eric91Z
03-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, teh box arrived today. Going to be at least a couple more weeks before it will get used with the weather the way it is. At least we aren't getting the snow they are just north of us...

Mike Poore
03-17-2006, 06:33 AM
Ya know i bought one. its still in the box unopened and after reading about burning and edging .Charlie i may be with on this as well.:up:not really sure if i want to try this.

You &%^$#@# PU$$IES! Get the damned thing out, use it, and stop worrying about all this crap!

It's a fantastic machine it: (1) won't burn your paint, (2) do bad things to your edges, (3) void your warranty, (4) be too difficult for you doofuses to use, (5) it's fast, easy, and gives spectacular results.

There have at least a half dozen threads about this polishing system and everyone has been raving about the results ever since the Meguiar's special in December '04.

JUST F'N DO IT!
Sorry Mark, I didn't mean to call YOU a doofus, Just Charlie. :D

fastblackmerc
03-17-2006, 07:15 AM
I have one of the Porter Cable polishers, haven't used it yet, will practice on the wife's T-Bird that has heavily oxidized finish, as soon as it gets warmer here.....

Mike Poore
03-17-2006, 08:15 AM
I have one of the Porter Cable polishers, haven't used it yet, will practice on the wife's T-Bird that has heavily oxidized finish, as soon as it gets warmer here.....

You too? :eek:
Wait, wait, I'll get Mark and charlie to drive down, so you can practice on their cars.
No use taking a chance on the oxidized T-bird. :rofl:

uwsacf
03-17-2006, 12:14 PM
I polish up the Sport (usually with 3M Swirl remover for black cars) with the black pad from www.topoftheline.com for pads goto http://www.topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

Buy the Porter cable 7336SP at Lowes for 109.00

its the best - simply let it work by itself - setting of 4 - quick and easy..

I do however, tape off the fender edges when doing the hood and the rear fenders doing the trunk - along with any plastic in the way..

the ****netz guys..

I was as leery as you were too.. - trust me - you can't go wrong..

then I zaino...

repeatedly..

woot...

DEFYANT
03-17-2006, 06:45 PM
You &%^$#@# PU$$IES! Get the damned thing out, use it, and stop worrying about all this crap!

It's a fantastic machine it: (1) won't burn your paint, (2) do bad things to your edges, (3) void your warranty, (4) be too difficult for you doofuses to use, (5) it's fast, easy, and gives spectacular results.

There have at least a half dozen threads about this polishing system and everyone has been raving about the results ever since the Meguiar's special in December '04.

JUST F'N DO IT!

Sorry Mike, but we simply do not have the MANY years of experiance that you have. :P

Some guys know they should not attempt to swing an engine, others may feel it is a bad idea to do some wiring. Me? I know to stay away form those wiz-bang polishers.

Besides, I dont want some gizmo gittin 'tween me and the Marauder during our "special time" :cool:

natedog1284
03-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Besides, I dont want some gizmo gittin 'tween me and the Marauder during our "special time" :cool:

Normally I would second that Charlie, but after nearly 4 hours doing the Mequire's Deep Crystal series by hand in the 30 degree weather after work the other day, I can honestly say that I wouldn't mind if that "special time" had been a little bit shorter. Ah well, it's a labor of love....:rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah, I got tired of not having my car shiney, so I went ahead and did it by hand. Even if it was cold, it still looks good. Hopefully when I do it again I'll have a buffer. Might give this Zaino a try too....

-Nate

Mike Poore
03-18-2006, 04:12 AM
Sorry Mike, but we simply do not have the MANY years of experiance that you have. :P

Some guys know they should not attempt to swing an engine, others may feel it is a bad idea to do some wiring. Me? I know to stay away form those wiz-bang polishers.

Tell you what, Charlie, bring yourself & the MM over here some morning, and I'll demonstrate, with the three step Meguiars system. Better, yet, bring Mark and his Black car, and I'll show you guys how to make it look like liquid glass. Any day of the week is fine. BTW, I know what you mean about those wiz-bang polishers, as I have one of those POS things from Sears that's guaranteed to leave swirl marks. Not the Porter Cable, it's professional all the way, and it will do a better job than any hand wax ...I promice.
:beer:

MarauderMark
03-18-2006, 08:46 AM

JUST F'N DO IT!

See Mike Charlie started it he allways starts it.He sucked me into it he said if i didn't agree he was going to take my cookies.it's his fault!! :P
But I doe shore-lee apre-see8 dis alot i doe wanna learnd howda use that fing..:up:
BTW The Meguiar sisters are back?:D

Mike Poore
03-19-2006, 05:19 PM
See Mike Charlie started it he allways starts it.He sucked me into it he said if i didn't agree he was going to take my cookies.it's his fault!! :P
But I doe shore-lee apre-see8 dis alot i doe wanna learnd howda use that fing..:up:
BTW The Meguiar sisters are back?:D

You two are a panic. Barb says never in the back seat together again. :poke:
I'm serious though, if you'd like to visit and get a demonstration, plus a tour of the garage you're more than welcome. Don't worry about the cookies, I have plenty. :D

Eric91Z
03-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I forgot to mention that the Autopia Sonus kit also comes with a How-To DVD to watch. I think between that, the instructions on their site, and other write-ups I have read, that with a little practice I could be good with this...