PDA

View Full Version : o/d and mufflers

not5-0
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
2 Questions- #1 I am considering replacing stock mufflers with either Flowmaster Super 40 or Magnaflows. My 03 MM is a daily driver so I am looking to get a better sound outside with the least amount of interior noise/drone, I plan on leaving tips stock. Has anyone heard both types ? what would you recommend? #2 I haven't owned an automatic in 20 years and am confused as to when to leave O/d off. Is there a general rule without getting too technical. Thanks

magindat
03-16-2006, 01:34 PM
OD off in town. On only on the highway after 70-80. Simple enough?
Oh yeah, if you go to pass while in OD, take out of OD, let it down shift, then punch it. A punch at 80 throws you into 2nd. the 4th(OD) to 2nd shift is murder on our trannys. So go 4(OD) to 3(OD off) then punch 3-2.

I love my magnaflows. Opinions on the site will abound. I think I get what you want. The formula would be your choice of magna or super40's and res-delete tips extended 1" further past the bumper. You'll get the sound you want outside and not much noise inside.

Good luck.
Rich

MarauderMark
03-16-2006, 01:37 PM
2 Questions- #1 I am considering replacing stock mufflers with either Flowmaster Super 40 or Magnaflows. My 03 MM is a daily driver so I am looking to get a better sound outside with the least amount of interior noise/drone, I plan on leaving tips stock. Has anyone heard both types ? what would you recommend?
I have 18" magnaflows and from my experience they sounds absolutely awesome for the frist month or so but after that they have alot of cabin drone.I was thinking about the ford duel mode mufflers but still not sure yet..

#2 I haven't owned an automatic in 20 years and am confused as to when to leave O/d off. Is there a general rule without getting too technical. Thanks
I run with my o/d on until someone wants some then its time to click the button.:burn:

Hope this helps.:D

RF Overlord
03-16-2006, 01:42 PM
5-0:

I have the Flowmaster 40s with stock tips and I don't like them. They're too loud and "high-pitched"...I've heard (and like) the Magnaflows on Dennis Reinhart's Mk. VIII and they sound deeper. Unfortunately, the Bunny Lady likes the way the Blackbird sounds, so I'm out-voted.

As to your O/D question, there's no harm leaving it on during normal everyday driving, but it's recommended highly that you turn it off before going WOT.

Marauder386
03-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Ford Racing Performance dual-modes on my toys...low rumble in normal use...Nice roar at wide open throttle...

:coolman:

SouLRioT
03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Are you coming Friday? I've got Super 40s with everything else stock, except the pipes are move out just a little. I'll let you take it for a spin.

Rider90
03-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I have Spintech's. Search "Spintech" and you'll find my thread, complete with videos. Good luck!

magindat
03-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Are you coming Friday? I've got Super 40s with everything else stock, except the pipes are move out just a little. I'll let you take it for a spin.

I'll be there Friday, too. Listen as much as you can, then decide.

magindat
03-17-2006, 06:23 AM
I have Spintech's. Search "Spintech" and you'll find my thread, complete with videos. Good luck!

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/ (http://www.spintechmufflers.com/)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20598 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20598)

SID210SA
03-17-2006, 06:31 AM
I thought you were supposed to hit the O/D button when in persuit:D

Marauder386
03-17-2006, 07:28 AM
"REMAIN IN OVERDRIVE WHEN IN PURSUIT" ... or so says the black and yellow dash sticker ....

:coolman:

not5-0
03-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I can't make it tonite but maybe I can check it out at the Special Olympics event in Coral Springs.. I plan on being there.. Thanks for all the help.

rumble
03-19-2006, 09:31 AM
2 Questions- #1 I am considering replacing stock mufflers with either Flowmaster Super 40 or Magnaflows. My 03 MM is a daily driver so I am looking to get a better sound outside with the least amount of interior noise/drone, I plan on leaving tips stock. Has anyone heard both types ? what would you recommend?

What is one mans medicine is the next mans poison. I have the Flowmaster
40's with stock tips and love them. The only way you can make an intelligent
decision on which to buy is to find cars that have both and drive them. You can save money and possible disappointment if you "experience" before you buy.

Good luck!