PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Manifold EGR Tube Adapter

O's Fan Rich
03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
What a PITA!
Ok, the cobra exhaust manifolds require some adapting of the egr tube.
I don't know if anyone who did it themselves were able to bend the tube to fit the new position of the fitting, but I was not gonna even try!
So, I scoured the 'net, local hydraulic suppliers, fitting places, and even talked to a couple of guys who would make me an adapter... for around 90 bucks!
I'm way to cheap for that. I could not find a simple M20 x 1.5 male/female adapter about 2 1/2 inches long to raise the fitting up..
That size is the size that screws into the manifold, plus it has an angled cone on it similer to a spark plug to seal it up.
The tube end is M22 x 1.5 and danged if it can't be found either. What's a cheap s.o.b to do?
Here is what I did, if you care.
I had two of the manifold fittings. so I decided to build my own adapter. I found a 7/8 threaded rod union at Tractor Supply part #3501592- $4.68 I figured out the length I needed ( just over 2 inches ) and cut it to length. Then I cleaned off the zinc coating from both ends.
I took my die grinder and carbide bit and hogged out the threads until the M22 side of one fitting fit inside it. I then MIG welded the fitting on. The M20 side for the other end fit into it just fine, and it too got welded on.
After it cooled off, I painted it black with Eastwood's manifold coating.

After that, and this is the fun part, I installed it on the manifold and proceeded to patiently mark the tube for bending. I made 4 bends in the tube to get it right ( slow... easy... patience... think before you bend Richard...). This is easy when it's on the lift... I'd hate to be sliding in and out from under the car for this. But WALA!!! it worked. here are the pics...
The first one is the misaglignment of the egr tube to the cobra fitting.
The second is the completed adapter.
The third is the installed adapter.

sabtaj1
03-16-2006, 08:46 PM
looks like an excellent job! Ill let you do mine.

fastblackmerc
03-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Do you want to sell me one?