PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Cut-Outs

1 Bad Merc
03-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I just finished reading this months HOT ROD Mag and noticed that in the new products section there was listed some electric controlled exhaust cut-outs. I am looking at going with DR's Cobra exhaust kit as I am trying to keep the MM stock looking. I use the car for business stuff plus the wife drives her sometimes and I really cant have the car real loud. I was thinking about incorporating these cut-outs on the exhaust to get the loud sound I want when I am out goofing around. Has anyone used cut-outs on their exhaust system? Where did you put them on the exhaust system?

I know when I had my 88' Mustang I cut the mufflers off and welded in straight tail pipes and was only running thru the cats. This worked great until I sucked the cats right out and my motor started to run real bad. The mechanic told me that I needed some kind of back pressure for the motor to run right. So I am thinking the cut-outs would have to be after the cats on the MM?

Any help would be appreciated.

SergntMac
03-17-2006, 04:48 PM
TooManyFords.

John?

DEFYANT
03-17-2006, 06:09 PM
I just finished reading this months HOT ROD Mag and noticed that in the new products section there was listed some electric controlled exhaust cut-outs. I am looking at going with DR's Cobra exhaust kit as I am trying to keep the MM stock looking. I use the car for business stuff plus the wife drives her sometimes and I really cant have the car real loud. I was thinking about incorporating these cut-outs on the exhaust to get the loud sound I want when I am out goofing around. Has anyone used cut-outs on their exhaust system? Where did you put them on the exhaust system?

I know when I had my 88' Mustang I cut the mufflers off and welded in straight tail pipes and was only running thru the cats. This worked great until I sucked the cats right out and my motor started to run real bad. The mechanic told me that I needed some kind of back pressure for the motor to run right. So I am thinking the cut-outs would have to be after the cats on the MM?

Any help would be appreciated.

I believe the MM will also not run right with the cut outs. But wait for someone who has used them, its been done before...

ckadiddle
03-17-2006, 09:48 PM
The cutouts should be fine if they are after the cats. I ran with pipe welded in where the OEM mufflers were for a while. Sounded awesome (but loud if you used anything but very light throttle), car ran fine. Lost a little zip at low RPMs maybe - seems a bit peppier now that Magnaflows have been added back to the exhaust system. Somewhere around here I posted videos of the post-mufflerectomy sound.

TooManyFords
03-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Here ya go!

LINKY HERE (http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder)

http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/Marauder/Cutouts/img/cutouts001.jpg

Cheers!

John

[ps: i never get tired of looking at this picture!]

Rider90
03-17-2006, 10:01 PM
John, what's holding the left side of the car up? :eek:

1 Bad Merc
03-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the replies.

John, you did not have any problems with so little back pressure? I was told that you needed some back pressure or the car wont scavenge the exhaust right and it will miss/lay down under load. I had shorty headers on my 5.0 and as soon as I blew the cats out the car laid down under load. Maybe because the 5.0 was a push rod engine the lack of back pressure effected it more?

Also, how hard was it to weld those cut-offs on? I heard trying to weld our stainless exhaust system is pretty tough. Can you have the cut-outs coated? I know when I welded my mustang exhaust that within two years I had leaks right were the welds were. They seemed to rust out like crazy and I had to replace the pipes I had on and had to cut back the original pipes again. Do you possibly have any pictures showing how you wired those up and where you added the switch? I assume it can be anywhere but I am curious how you did it. Sorry for asking so many questions but I am really looking at doing this.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Here come the Mods!!!!:banana: