PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflows Too Loud ???

Smokie
03-19-2006, 06:25 AM
I noticed in the regrets thread that there are folks that are unhappy with the Magnaflows and since I am happy with mine and they border on too quiet with zero drone. There must be a reason for the wide range of opinion. I realize that personal preference plays a role here, but I also suspect the a specific set-up with a certain type of headers is involved in the "too loud, with drone" complaint.

So I would like to ask those happy or unhappy with your Magnaflows to describe your exhaust system from the engine to the tips.

I will get the ball rolling:

Ford SVO Shorty Headers, 2 1/2" X-pipe with hi-flow cats, 18" Stainless Steel Magnaflows, OEM pipe and Tips after mufflers.

Results: At idle and light throttle a slightly deeper tone than OEM, not really louder. At half throttle or more louder, deeper note than OEM. No drone at all at crusing speeds regardless of rpm's or speed.

O's Fan Rich
03-19-2006, 06:28 AM
I noticed in the regrets thread that there are folks that are unhappy with the Magnaflows and since I am happy with mine and they border on too quiet with zero drone. There must be a reason for the wide range of opinion. I realize that personal preference plays a role here, but I also suspect the a specific set-up with a certain type of headers is involved in the "too loud, with drone" complaint.

So I would like to ask those happy or unhappy with your Magnaflows to describe your exhaust system from the engine to the tips.

Ford SVO Shorty Headers, 2 1/2" X-pipe with hi-flow cats, 18" Stainless Steel Magnaflows, OEM pipe and Tips after mufflers.

Results: At idle and light throttle a slightly deeper tone than OEM, not really louder. At half throttle or more louder, deeper note than OEM. No drone at all at crusing speeds regardless of rpm's or speed.

I'll let you know on Wed.

Paul T. Casey
03-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Extremely happy with the sound. Complete Kook's system. Love to drive under bridges and rap it. Highway cruising, I don't notice any drone. If I did, I got a radio/CD/Tape player with a volume control. Riding around town, well it just sounds frightening when leaving a traffic light. Had a Firebird guy down here in Huntsville tell me "it sounds too good to be a furd." Definately the most fun mod I've done.

Joe Walsh
03-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Kooks, 2-1/2" high flow Cats (total of 2 Cats), 2-1/2" X-pipe, 18" Magnaflows, OEM tail pipe and Megs.
Almost stock idle sound, quiet at VERY light throttle, LOUD after that.
Slight drone at a very narrow rpm band, but not bad at all.
Howls like a V-12 Ferrari at WOT!

Marauder.45
03-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Kooks Headers, x-pipe, 2 1/2 pipes, stock tips. K&N CAI, 4.10s.

The 4.10s bring the RPMs up a little higher than stock, so it can affect the tone. Headers also affect the tone.

At idle, and low RPM moving, like parking lots etc, the tone is not ridiculous. Not that much different. Anything higher, and you know it's a worked exhaust. At 80+ on the highway, over 2500 rpms, it's not a drone, it's a roar. Course that's what I want.

The main difference I noticed is that the Magnaflow makes the sound more RASPY. It's not as refined a sound as the stock set-up. It's a harsher sound, so if you don't like RASPY, try a different muffler.

ckadiddle
03-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Stock exhaust everything and stock tips (with resonator) with Magnaflows. Only slightly louder than stock at idle or low to medium throttle. Have to go two thirds or full throttle to get them to scream. Little to no highway drone.

Marauderman
03-19-2006, 01:18 PM

Mine has the Shorty Headers, 2 1/2 " X-pipe, cats, 18" Magnaflows, then
2 1/2 " pipe to the tips--deleted... causes deeper rumble through out and provides for a continious rumble ,,give more pedal, get louder rumble---has a drone inside cabin --which I prefer to hear and louder outside , but others say they hear me before they see me-----I love it--and thats what counts--

BK_GrandMarquis
03-19-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a exhaust manifold back custom 2 1/4 exhaust with X pipe.

I replaced the 4 cats for 2 Magnaflow high flow cats. Then I have resonators between the cats and the same Magnaflow 18" mufflers that Kook's uses.

I'm happy with the result. :up: The cheap Vortex mufflers I had before were a bit louder but had an annoying drone. The Magnaflows are just a bit quieter and no drone. I also feel a slight performance boost with a much smoother acceleration now. I guess it's because the Magnaflows let the engine breath easier.:2thumbs:

metroplex
03-19-2006, 03:16 PM
It's not a Marauder but:
00 HPP Vic, with Competition Camshafts
Stock logs
Magnaflow high flow cats
Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers (same design as Magnaflows)
resonator delete

At idle, its very quiet. At normal cruising, it is quiet. At WOT it is also quiet.
I know if I got rid of the cats, the exhaust will get very loud.

SergntMac
03-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Reinhart system, in this order

Cobra manifolds, ceramic coated. 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, high flow cats (1 per side) and X pipe, more 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, Magnaflow 18s, into stock tail pipe, into resonator delete tips moved 2" outboard of the rear cover (actually only an extra inch shows).

I put this system together once back in 2003 and haven't changed it. It has slowly evolved in volume and tone, and I like it all very much. It has a reasonable volume at idle, enough to turn some heads at close range, and off idle acceleration will have those eyes following me down the street.

Under hard acceleration or WOT, it's a symphony of high performance noise. The engine has a roar all it's own. The supercharger is crying like a bag of angry cats. Pirelli tires squealing their own song. And, the exhaust system suddenly sounds like open pipe. BTW, many of y'all will get a taste of this symphony next weekend in Looseville, feel free to come back here and add your opinions.

I get to make a side by side comparasion of my exhaust system every day, 'cause my daily driver is a bone stock 300B. Jeese, I got to watch the tach, or I wonder if it's even running!

Y'all call it a "drone", I call it a "hum", and when I'm on the road cruising, I've got my hum going on. It's not loud or overbearing, doesn't need more radio to cover it. Just a very comfortable and reassuring hum...Other notice it too, those eyes follow me at 75 MPH too.

Can you tell I like my Magnaflows?

Thanks, TAF.

Smokie
03-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks Mac, I really like your way with words.:) I am hoping that those that DID NOT like the Magnaflows will add their input, Not to dispute or ridicule. I have a theory that a certain combination of components produced the harsh sounds and the drone.

I need the input of the "I hate them Magnaflows" folks to determine if I am correct or if it's really a simple case of "personal preference"

Again there is no better or worse, right or wrong, I'm seeking here just what combination of exhaust components created the unwelcomed sound.:D

usafsniper
03-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I've got Flowmasters, and have a "drone" at the typical RPM, but nothing unexpected. It's noticable between 50-55 when the car's in overdrive, but not annoying. I just don't drive in that range. Not to knock your post at all...it's a good question...IMO, if you put loud mufflers on, expect some noise. If you don't want added noise, don't put on loud mufflers. Pretty simple. Part of the enjoyment of louder mufflers is hearing them roar...it's a by-product of increasing flow...and you should expect it if you switch out from the stock system. If you want a quiet ride...stay stock. Otherwise, let the Steve McQueen in you come out and throw on the headers, X-pipe, and high flow cats (summer install for me) and let her roar!

http://www.norcalmovies.com/Bullitt/x-bullitt27.jpghttp://www.norcalmovies.com/Bullitt/x-bullitt31.jpg

RR|Suki
03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm so so on the magnaflows, They are nice and raspy, but a little buzzy (echoy) I dunno how to explain. However I do have stock tips (which I wanna change before I claim it's the magnaflows. I have high flow cats and 2.5" custom pipe all the way back, also 5.1L makes for a very different sound aswell

click to hear:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/misc.php?do=downloadfile&i=1341

DEFYANT
03-19-2006, 08:32 PM
I went with the Kooks long tube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, Magnaflows and resonator delete tips.

And this set up sounded awsome. For about 3 weeks. Once the Magnaflows broke in, they were loud. They sounded great, but too loud insode the car considering I travel for hours at a time with my wife and kids. Plus, sometimes I want to sit back and cruise with a good CD on.

So I went with Ford Duel Mode Mufflers: Link (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField= 6631)

They are quiet when I want them to be quiet and loud anytime.

There is a little drone most likely caused by the resonator delete tips around 2300 rpm.

Here is a video (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/10EE538C-B1CD-4A2D-808B-DCBD528F0A64.htm)inside my car at cruising speed in the 2300 rpm zone. Frankly, I do not think this accuatly reflects the sounds my car makes, but since I made the video and posted it and it fits this topic, check it out for yourselves.

Marauderjack
03-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Dual Modes....$375 EACH???:argue:

How much "Butchering" has to be done to the system and did you re-use the weights??:confused:

Marauderjack:(

usafsniper
03-20-2006, 05:19 AM
I'm so so on the magnaflows, They are nice and raspy, but a little buzzy (echoy) I dunno how to explain. However I do have stock tips (which I wanna change before I claim it's the magnaflows. I have high flow cats and 2.5" custom pipe all the way back, also 5.1L makes for a very different sound aswell

click to hear:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/misc.php?do=downloadfile&i=1341

Not sure if it's the flowmasters I have with nothing else or what, but my car has a definitely deeper exhaust note. Is that how all the magnaflows sound?

snowbird
03-20-2006, 05:39 AM
In my case, it is the stock Kooks set-up up front with Xpipe and stock tail pipes in the rears. IMO, but i haven't had the time to dig it, part of the "problem" is not much sound deadening from factory, muffler location just under the seats and maybe the tail pipe tips missing one or 2 or 3 inch to clear resonance that come back from the trunk area.

I believe i'm the kind who likes it more quiet than the average but my main usage is a daily.

SergntMac
03-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Oh...I forgot the gurgle when I lift off the throttle. Classic blap, blap...

Haggis
03-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Reinhart system, in this order

Cobra manifolds, ceramic coated. 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, high flow cats (1 per side) and X pipe, more 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, Magnaflow 18s, into stock tail pipe, into resonator delete tips.
That's the set up I have and I love it. I can also switch back to the OEM tips anytime I like, I had flanges intstalled to the tailpipes and both set of tips for easy removal.

stevengerard
03-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I'd say a lot goes into the sound as each little thing will make a little difference

in my case I have the magnaflow's, Kook's 2.5" with stock tail pipes and stock tips. But I also have 4.10's and a 3500 RPM stall so the car cruises at a higher rpm as well. Sometimes I think the car is too loud. Every neighbor says they know when I am coming or going. And when I am on the highway the car is too loud to have a reasonable phone conversation (which is good - I talk less in the car now). When my wife drives the car and I watch her leave I am amazed how loud the car is - but I love it. Lidio warned me they would be loud and he was right - but personal preference - I'm most likely staying with them. There is deffinately a loud hum - after 1 hour on the road my ear can get that little buzz going.

DEFYANT
03-20-2006, 08:09 AM

How much "Butchering" has to be done to the system and did you re-use the weights??:confused:

They were cheaper when I got them. It did not take much to get them in. The off sets are different, so the tail pipes are not exactly straight. Though you wouldnt notice unless I told you. I plan to have the pipes aft the mufflers reworked to make the system the same size and straighten out the tail pipes. I like the idea Haggis went with.

No weights were re-used.

I'll figure out whats next when were in the new house and the finances are straight.

merc6
03-20-2006, 09:30 AM
stock exhaust with just magnaflows are of a nice stock mustang GT loudness. The tips were moved ever so slightly past the bumper on instal if that helped. They are loud enough to feel invincible on short or long drives but unless I dip into 2k rpm range they don't really make much noise. Compared to the stock mufflers, the magnaflows give it a true muscle car sound. stockers give off a somewhat decent but higher pitch note. I can still listen to my music with the mufflers and intake on if that was someones reasoning on not getting just mufflers. Seeing that most my life doesn't revolve around the 1/4, I'm willing to sacrifice a few ponies for a aftermarket H pipe to keep that low growl. The X pipe note on the marauder just isn't my cup-o-tea.

cyclone03
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
I was going to hold back on this thread to see where it was going to end up,but I'll chime in now too.

I've got the Kooks set up,2 1/2",stock tail pipes and tips.
I also have a PI 3000 converter.
Mine is also loud when the wife drives off but sounds good to me inside except....
When I have the family in the car the converter causes the unlocked RPM to be higher,as much as 500-1000rpm depending on how hard I'm driving this makes the sound inside the car loud.
When I'm alone or just 1 person with me it's not bad.

I also notice this at highway speeds,60-80mph under load,up hill,passing,etc...even with the converter locked.

It's hard for me to say I don't like it,because most of the time I do.Sometimes I just want to be quite.

Marauderjack
03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
The few "X-Pipe" cars I have heard have a "Zippy" sound to them but I don't know what mufflers they had??:confused:

I like the H-Pipe "Burble" and will eventually get different mufflers IF I can figure out how to keep the drone away!!:shake:

Right now the #1 Priority is widened wheels and tires!!:bows:

Marauderjack:burnout:

merc6
03-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Don't remember what merc has but when riding behind him I could hear his drone over my engine at 2500 rpms. Windows up and cruise control on it still ever so clightly cut thru the sound deadening of my car(like ford has top of the line sound deadening). I need to actualy ride in one of the cars with more than just mufflers to see what it's like. My intake/exhaust combo is somewhat loud but I can still hear rear end gearing noises in 1st and 2nd.

magindat
03-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Methinks it's the X-pipe.

I have:
Cut off the 2nd cats right after 2nd 02.
2.5" pipe to mufflers
2" H pipe, not X
14" Magnaflows
Stock tails
Meg's deletes

When I start it up, everyone looks. When I rap it in traffic, everyone looks. It sounds like a stock cobra that's pissed of (louder and deeper). It drones at 80, but nothing the stereo won't overcome. I absolutley love it.

I think it did not get the 'raspy' sound folks complain about cuz of the H pipe. I heard several systems in person and read lots here before I went for it. I insisted on H rather than X. Muffler guy said I'd give up a marginal amount of flow but get a deeper sound. He was right, although my NA left black patches on his concrete lot after he was done!

So my question is what did I lose by H over X? Nuttin, honey! But man it sounds so bad a$$, it even makes my wife giggle!

Smokie, could this be part of your answer?

DEFYANT
03-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Hmmm, a custom H-pipe sounds interesting. Has this been done with the Kooks?

One thing to consider is the design and engineering that went into the Kooks set up. I was told buy them this set up on this car (w/ magnaflows) showed the most HP / TQ gains. According to them, I may have hurt performance with my muffler choice.

I am not complaining :D

magindat
03-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Hmmm, a custom H-pipe sounds interesting. Has this been done with the Kooks?

Typically, performance sacrifices something. It could sacrifice ride, fuel economy, looks, reliability, longevity or sound but there's almost always a sacrifice.

I believe the Kooks setup and/or X pipe does make more power, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice the sound.

Just :twocents: for what it's worth.

Breadfan
03-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Kooks, 2-1/2" high flow Cats (total of 2 Cats), 2-1/2" X-pipe, 18" Magnaflows, OEM tail pipe and Megs.
Almost stock idle sound, quiet at VERY light throttle, LOUD after that.
Slight drone at a very narrow rpm band, but not bad at all.
Howls like a V-12 Ferrari at WOT!

I can vouch that thing sounds awesome after I was behind you yesterday.

I was thinking I'd keep my exhaust as-is but that's making me change my mind. :)

By OEM megs you mean res-tips or are they res-deletes?

I'd imagine for those upset with drone, go back to your res tips and extend them out a tad this will help.

BTW, all the complaints I've seen recently about drone with aftermarket mufflers is EXACTLY why Ford put the resonator tips on. Some complained it was a "wuss" move by them but based on the drone complaints here I can only imagine the complaints the FLM dealers would've heard...

I'm not saying we shouldn't be upset by drone, some don't mind it, some hate it, so this will go good in providing info for people to get the system THEY want and that's what matters.

:beer:

Macon Marauder
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
/hijack
Completely stock here. Sometimes I think I'll upgrade the exhaust as it's pretty quiet inside. Then, when Mrs. Macon Marauder drives it I'll stand in the driveway and listen. As she and the MM pull hard up the hill on the main road outside of our neighborhood: I say to myself, "Man! That thing sounds good!"
/hijack end

merc
03-20-2006, 01:49 PM

I have the exact setup and have no issues with done, but a little loud while playing CD's.

Joe Walsh
03-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I can vouch that thing sounds awesome after I was behind you yesterday.

I was thinking I'd keep my exhaust as-is but that's making me change my mind. :)

By OEM megs you mean res-tips or are they res-deletes?

I'd imagine for those upset with drone, go back to your res tips and extend them out a tad this will help.

BTW, all the complaints I've seen recently about drone with aftermarket mufflers is EXACTLY why Ford put the resonator tips on. Some complained it was a "wuss" move by them but based on the drone complaints here I can only imagine the complaints the FLM dealers would've heard...

I'm not saying we shouldn't be upset by drone, some don't mind it, some hate it, so this will go good in providing info for people to get the system THEY want and that's what matters.

:beer:

My exhaust tips are OEM, so I'm assuming they have resonators.

HwyCruiser
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
I am one of the Magaflow regretted in the other post:

Magnaflows. I hate them with a passion 95% of the time. I spent $200 bucks and added nearly 100 lbs to my car with all the dynomat in the back and they still grind on my nerves.

I want dual-modes so bad. One of these days.

To explain a little further, the 5% of the time that I don't hate them is when I'm not in the car. I think they sound pretty good from the exterior in open spaces, but from the driver's seat they are way too obnoxious and demeans the car's luxury feel. This is 100% a preference thing.

Maybe it's because my hearing is more sensitive to this frequency, but I was much more happy with sound with the DR Cobra exhaust with the OEM mufflers. It's not like I'm trying to go stealth because you can hear my blower from across the street - I'm just hoping dual modes will make the exhaust quieter while cruising and open up for full performance at the track.

rayjay
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
/hijack
Completely stock here. Sometimes I think I'll upgrade the exhaust as it's pretty quiet inside. Then, when Mrs. Macon Marauder drives it I'll stand in the driveway and listen. As she and the MM pull hard up the hill on the main road outside of our neighborhood: I say to myself, "Man! That thing sounds good!"
/hijack end

I have the DR Cobra setup plumbed into the stock system. I agree with Macon, sounds just right to me stock. Love the growl.

Paul T. Casey
03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Oh...I forgot the gurgle when I lift off the throttle. Classic blap, blap...
Yeah, that's the second coolest thing about mine.

Paul T. Casey
03-20-2006, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=magindat

But man it sounds so bad a$$, it even makes my wife giggle!

[/QUOTE]

This is the COOLEST ;)

merc6
03-21-2006, 01:47 PM
ctrlravens sound the best when crusing behind or as he passes you, but he kinda has no mufflers so drone is an issue. The stock mufflers is too hi pitch for me cause once I swapped I was dissapointed after hearing what the stockers sound like on other cars.

03SILVERSTREAK
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Reinhart system-
Cobra manifolds, ceramic coated. 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, high flow cats (1 per side) and X pipe, 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, Magnaflow 18s, into stock tail pipe, into resonator tips outboard of the rear cover.

For some reason due to time and use, the exhaust seems to have gotten louder and the drone is quite clear at around 2500 rpm,s.

This tends to be annoying and it attracts attention to the highway patrol. so I am considering going back to the stock mufflers.

Marauder.45
03-23-2006, 06:51 PM
It ain't the drone dude,

It's jealousy that brings that cruel attention:banana2: :banana2:

1stMerc
03-23-2006, 10:09 PM
In my case i was running stock H pipe with stock resonator tips extended 1" and MagnaFlow 18 inchers. Sounded good starting up and idling, and when i got in it. Problem was just normal city driving in the 20 -35 mph speed zones, the drone was too deep and more of a nuisance for daily driver. The Flowmaster Delta 40's currently running give a more pleasant tone for cruzin and sound just right when i get on it. Now have modified tips.

Slightly off thread, any of you welders out there ever take off one of the ends and remove some of the packing inside of the Magna's? Thinking about doing it too aleviate some of the bass tone it produces.

O's Fan Rich
03-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Cobra Manifolds
X-pipe
Magnaflows
Stock tips
2 1/2 front to back
2 days
No complaints.

03SILVERSTREAK
02-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Reinhart system-
Cobra manifolds, ceramic coated. 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, high flow cats (1 per side) and X pipe, 2.5" OD exhaust pipe, Magnaflow 18s, into stock tail pipe, into resonator tips outboard of the rear cover.

For some reason due to time and use, the exhaust seems to have gotten louder and the drone is quite clear at around 2500 rpm,s.

This tends to be annoying and it attracts attention to the highway patrol. so I am considering going back to the stock mufflers.

I know this is kinda late but I switched to magnaflow XL 3 Turbo Mufflers and to my disapointment they sound louder . I must admit that going back to the oem mufflers are looking better. does anyone have a
better solution ?

fastblackmerc
02-28-2007, 07:47 AM
I'll post my observtions after 3/19 when I get my system installed at the "Best Exhaust Shop East of the Mississippi". It is going to be Mustang shorty headers (Jet-Hot coated), 2 hi-flow cats, custom 2.5" x-pipe, 18" polished Magnaflows and OEM tips all connected with 2.5" stainless steel mandrel bent pipe.

OneBADLsE
02-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I have Magnaflows on my LSE. The only time i notice a VERY harsh drone is when im extremely hard on the car and the exhausts get hot. I dont know why getting hot has that effect on the exhaust note, but it does. Also, stock h-pipe design 2 1/2 all the way back

merc
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Reinhart system-

Exhaust done can be emitted by vibration. I had this problem until I had the exhaust professionally installed by a shop in G.A.

merc
02-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Reinhart system-

Exhaust drone can be emitted by vibration. I had this problem until I had the exhaust professionally installed by a shop in G.A.

Read the post below.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18632&highlight=grand+muffler

Breadfan
02-28-2007, 02:01 PM
All the more reason for me to take that much needed vacation, I just hope I can budget it. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Marauderjack
02-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Folks,

I have a "Custom" system built around the Magnaflow 18's and it is absolutely PERFECT....for me!!:bows: It was assembled in stages and has NO DRONE....most of the sound is behind the car and the "Old School" burble is OUTSTANDING!!!:beer:

I have tried an "X-Pipe" in the system but it was too "ZIPPY" sounding ( high pitched) and had "DRONE"....with very little burble!!!:argue: :mad2:

My custom "H-Pipe" made all the difference in the world (deep sound)......HIGHLY RECOMMENDED over the "X" arrangement!!:rolleyes:

I have sound clips if someone would like to post them.......not exactly how it sounds in person but it will give you some idea!!??:cool4:

jim geary
02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a complete Kooks system with the 18" Magnaflows and the 4" tips.
Has a bit of cabin drone but I think that's cause I didn't have the tips extended out past the bumper. Unless I get on it it seems fairly quiet.If I jump on it than heads turn.

Sharky
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Folks,

I have a "Custom" system built around the Magnaflow 18's and it is absolutely PERFECT....for me!!:bows: It was assembled in stages and has NO DRONE....most of the sound is behind the car and the "Old School" burble is OUTSTANDING!!!:beer:

I have tried an "X-Pipe" in the system but it was too "ZIPPY" sounding ( high pitched) and had "DRONE"....with very little burble!!!:argue: :mad2:

My custom "H-Pipe" made all the difference in the world (deep sound)......HIGHLY RECOMMENDED over the "X" arrangement!!:rolleyes:

I have sound clips if someone would like to post them.......not exactly how it sounds in person but it will give you some idea!!??:cool4:

+1 :beer:

The Magnaflows transformed my MGM from a mild-mannered granny car to a granny car with attitude. The pipes, the Monroe SensaTrac shocks, and the Bridgestone tires were worth every penny and really spiced the car up.

As I said in this post (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=472595&postcount=32) there is a drone right at 40 mph when the trans drops into OD, but it goes away at 43 mph, or if I toe the throttle enough to unlock the t/c. I'm gonna try the H-pipe and extend the tips - thanks, KillJoy and Marauderjack for the advice. :cool:

MENINBLK
03-01-2007, 10:50 AM

DID anyone noticed this question ???
It is a very IMPORTANT question.

The resonance weights that are on the stock exhaust should be reused
on a replacement exhaust to counteract any drone.
These weights work just like the J-Tube on the intake.
They reduce the harmonics caused by the drone,
reducing the amplification of the drone.

Another important fact is looking up the construction of your mufflers.
Most mufflers are dual walled. This is done to reduce droning.
If the mufflers you are using aren't dual walled, you are gonna get drone.

Marauderjack
03-02-2007, 05:06 AM
+1 :beer:

I'm gonna try the H-pipe and extend the tips - thanks, KillJoy and Marauderjack for the advice. :cool:

Get an "H" Pipe......You WILL NOT be disappointed!!!:shake: :bows: :bows:

04MRADR
08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Just put Magna Flows Model # 14255 on my Marauder and really like em. My mechanic said fairly easy to install. I like the fact that when you hit it hard to pull out of a toll booth like I did a few weeks ago on the Atlantic City Expressway at the Egg Harbor toll I left about 10 others in my wake. The MAGs sounded so cool I can't describe it. Also when I fire the Black Monster up there's a loud thrush that sounds great. MagnaFlow is telling it true when they say your power increases. Can definitely feel a difference. They say gas mileage improves but I'm only on my second tank with the new Flows and can't really say. I like the fact that these polished steel mufflers are not overbearing while crusing. Translation: I can actually hear my radio and not the roar of overly loud mufflers. Want to thank everyone who gave me their opinions about which muffler to use. The darn washing machine like noise however between 60 and 70 mph has not disappeared. When my mechanic road tested with me he would drop out of overdrive and the noise would disappear. I see some items by members suggesting they have a similar noise since they had the car. Some think it could be a bad cat or a cat letting go. Just so it anin't the tranny going. I can live with that. If anyone else has had a similar situation between 60 and 70 mph I'd been interested if you found out what it was or is it something that never went away but didn't cause problems?