PDA

View Full Version : Ok, now I'm nervious

MAD-3R
04-22-2003, 11:44 AM
During Lunch I decided to run past my dealer to check on the progress of the engine replacement. I get there and find my car with the hood up, the cover plates removed, and plugs pulled. fortunetly it's also in a dark croner and it's hard to see the pullies. I spoke with the mechanic, who seams competant, and he asked why I had switched out to the Denso Plugs. I told him it was for a bit better power, and better gas milage. I also mentioned that the old ones were looking nasty when I switched them out. he still doesn't know what happened, but needs to report everything to Ford. I know this is S.O.P., but it still has me on edge. He did make a mention that he thinks its number 6 that cused the problem, but won't know till he pulls the engine.

:eek: :shake: :eek:

LincMercLover
04-22-2003, 01:04 PM
The fun begins... Ford doesn't like you using any other plugs but theirs (at least that's how mine is). When Dad's truck went in for a new head, I gave them the new spark plugs I had purchased for it (Bosch +2 Platinums). I recieved them in a bag in the back of the truck with no explination as to why they didn't use them...

tomd
04-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
During Lunch I decided to run past my dealer to check on the progress of the engine replacement. I get there and find my car with the hood up, the cover plates removed, and plugs pulled. fortunetly it's also in a dark croner and it's hard to see the pullies. I spoke with the mechanic, who seams competant, and he asked why I had switched out to the Denso Plugs. I told him it was for a bit better power, and better gas milage. I also mentioned that the old ones were looking nasty when I switched them out. he still doesn't know what happened, but needs to report everything to Ford. I know this is S.O.P., but it still has me on edge. He did make a mention that he thinks its number 6 that cused the problem, but won't know till he pulls the engine.

:eek: :shake: :eek:

If I were you I start looking for an attorney who handles case like yours just in case! Also keep tack of EVERYTHING YOU'RE TOLD BY THE DEALERSHIP AND WHO TOLD YOU and also times and dates! Hopefully you’ll never need any of your notes or an attorney but it is better to be safe then sorry.

MAD-3R
04-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Oh, trust me I am.

ChuckB
04-22-2003, 01:53 PM
MAD,

Not sure about Va. but in Ca. you have to go thru arbitration before filing any other action. You might want to check thru the pile of papers you signed when you bought the car. If you must arbitrate there are specific time limits the dealer has to effect repair, replacement, the number of replacement attempts allowed, ect. These must be exhausted BEFORE any other action on your part can be taken.

Arbitration or the threat of isn't necessarily a bad thing for you. The dealer and LMC / Ford know they, in arbitration can also be found to have been neglegent or acting in bad faith promise to repair and be forced to "give" you a new car. Completely depends on the arbitor or board and your case. Most importantly as the days without your car pile up be sure to as Tomd suggests - Objectively record everything no matter how small it may seem to you at the time!

i sympathize for you - i went thru a simular ordeal with my wifes '00 vette. Don't dispare but be prepared - it can take a long time to resolve - but she sure enjoys her new 02 convertable vette - gratis from GM.

MAD-3R
04-22-2003, 01:58 PM
I can wait faster then anyone i know. :) And I do has arbitration to go through. I'm just having a minor anxiaty attack is all.

ChuckB
04-22-2003, 02:37 PM
As General Custer once said "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" or was the my mother - no matter.

But remember you're having this anxiaty attack while making payments for it. By the dealership accepting the car, beginning diagnosis on it they've entered a good faith agreement to fix it in a timely fashion if it is a warrenteable cause. Getting around to pulling the plugs 2 weeks later is not very aggresive.

best of luck - what did they give you to drive in the mean time?

WolfeBros
04-22-2003, 02:46 PM
I for one am surprized that they are fooling around with pulling the plugs. Once they got the authorization to fix it......why not just yank the thing out ? Any of you Ford wrenches have any insight to this one?

jgc61sr2002
04-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by WolfeBros
I for one am surprized that they are fooling around with pulling the plugs. Once they got the authorization to fix it......why not just yank the thing out ? Any of you Ford wrenches have any insight to this one? Wolfe - You can bet the dealer is looking to find something that is negative. Not a good sign. Mad Sure hope everything works out in your favor. John

Blue Marauder
04-22-2003, 04:23 PM
If you spend any time on the Lightning boards, you will know that most of the people there heavily modify their trucks. You will also see that Ford will go to great extremes to find any reason to deny a warranty claim on the Lightning. Now that Ford knows that people are modifying the Marauder, it would be very naive of any one to think that they won't go to the same lengths to deny coverage on a modified Marauder. That is why I will never modify mine other than cosmetically (SS Inserts and KB dead pedal being my only mods).

mtnh
04-22-2003, 06:39 PM
If the chip from "the man" removes the rev limiter, that would be grounds for warranty voiding on the engine. Whether the engine was over-revved or not, the chip's removal of that barrier makes it routinely possible to over-rev the engine. That would be an expensive chip.

Here's hoping that they don't bust your stones over this.

If I had a chip, I'd be leary of claiming that fact for the world to see, in my signature, especially when it comes to having spun bearings on my chipped engine. The Sarge and KB owners may have made it clear that they are fully prepared for denial of warranty claims on the powertrain, but I, for one, would not want to foot the bill for a new engine.

Mike

SaxGuy
04-22-2003, 11:31 PM
I hope everything works out for you. Ford refused warranty work on my friends 98 cobra after he tried to get more power out of it with a chip. A good lawyer can always help you out as well when it comes to this. Good luck, and Im praying for ya!

MAD-3R
04-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Chip, what chip, I don't see no chip. I don't know what your talking about. Arn't those illegal?

jerrym3
04-23-2003, 07:16 AM
I can understand the dealer saying that the chip voids the warranty on the motor as it is "coaxing" the engine to perform differently from that which it was designed for by the factory.

But, I cannot understand a dealer voiding a warranty (except for the rear itself) based on gear changes.

Will they void warranties based on gear changes?

jefferson-mo
04-23-2003, 07:46 AM
It would only void the warranty on the gears themselves, the carrier bearings and pinion bearings and seal.......I spoke with a L/M SM yesterday about the axle bearing problem and he said he knows guys are puttin' gears in but that doesn't affect the axle shafts or axle bearings at all.........

LincMercLover
04-23-2003, 07:46 AM
I like potato chips...

And yup, baisically, you change a part of the car, that part and other pieces that work with it is subject to void of warranty.

mtnh
04-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Oh, sorry Mad, I must have had you confused for someone else. In any case, if you have a chip that removes the rev limiter, it might be wise to add one back into the program, because accidents do happen.

Mike

Wags
04-23-2003, 09:19 AM
I think all one would have to do is to remove the chip before taking the car in for any service. Very quick and easy to do, and no proof that it caused any problems. They can't see what isn't there.

Wags

WolfeBros
04-23-2003, 09:25 AM
Good advice Wags. That is what I plan on doing if necessary to go to the dealer.

RF Overlord
04-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Removing the chip may be good advice in general, but, as usual, there is a caveat: if your motor gets blown up, and they look at the ECM, it will be OBVIOUS that it has been tampered with; the metal window will be busted out, and the conformal coating will be gone from the "factory test connector"...

I'm just sayin'...it'll be hard to 'splain...you can feign ignorance (easier for some of us!), but it WILL cast doubt on what really happened...

My point is, why go through the hassle of removing and re-installing it, and risking damage to the chipand/or the ECM, UNLESS you go in for service that might require them to look at the ECM...no one there will know how the car is SUPPOSED to feel...

MAD-3R
04-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Well, my car had over 120 miles on it before I picked it up, so no telling what some lot monkey did to it before I got it. I mean, he could have had a buddie blow his computer trying to do what ever it is that they do to them, so stole one out of a brand new car.

looking97233
04-23-2003, 10:26 PM
A what? What's that for? Oh. Is it supposed to be there? Me, no I don't know anything about it.

MAD-3R
04-24-2003, 05:47 AM
"Don't play stupid with me!"

"Who's playing?"

SSparky
04-24-2003, 10:19 AM
A little light reading on the topic of after market parts and warranties.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Paul

schuvwj
04-24-2003, 08:35 PM
I talked to the SM at my local Ford/LM dealer. They had a newer cobra mustang on the shop floor with a blown engine. Ford would not fix the motor until they sent a Rep. to inspect the car and blown engine. The Rep. found a chip in the ECM and it cost the owner $10,000 to replace the engine!

SM says since money is tight for Ford right now they are checking all high dollar warranty claims very close to avoid losing additional cash.

They are even checking diesel engines for chips to avoid warranty payments.

I asked him what could cause a the loss of my MM warranty. He replied anything that would improve the car's perfomance over stock.

Be careful guys!

Bigdogjim
04-24-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by SSparky
A little light reading on the topic of after market parts and warranties.

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Paul
Thanks for link. I got into a huge arugment with the selling dealer over the 4.10 gears:argue: It like they build the car just soooo far and dare you NOT to improve on it???:confused: Not for the weak at heart or wallet:mad: :alone: :po:
Hope he come through this OK:)
Big Dog

MAD-3R
04-25-2003, 05:44 AM
I though those kind of chips was illegal to put in. I would never be caught with one of THOSE in my computer.

frdwrnch
04-25-2003, 05:56 AM
One reason for the tech having the plugs out (and for the delay in general) is that Ford requires the Technician to perform a cost cap analysis on each engine to determine if it should be rebuilt or replaced. This requires a determination of Root Cause and total cost of repair. Most of the time the tech is on your side. It's hard to make money on the time consuming overhaul of a four-cammer, and he'd just as soon replace it.
The replacement engine comes w/a lower pulley/ balancer so you probably won't get yours back unless you mention it which you may or may not wish to do.

Sean
04-30-2003, 12:47 PM
last time i checked... i dont think it removed the rev limiter entirely...:P Still at a reasonable limit. That engine could do 7200.

Fourth Horseman
05-01-2003, 11:34 AM
This is all very discouraging. I'm thinking I should wait until I'm out of warranty before doing any real mods. *sigh*

MMM2003
05-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Same here Fourth. Can't take chances. I'll wait until warranty is up to do any mod's.

jgc61sr2002
05-01-2003, 03:52 PM
You can be sure FMC will send an internal memo to all dealers to look for MODS when doing warranty work.(if they haven't done so already) Use caution and I would remove them before going to dealer for service. You don't want to give them anything they can do***ent. IMHO. John

DLoreanMARAUDER
05-01-2003, 04:12 PM
it stinks. Everytime Im just about to make my desision and go for the chip or some other mod, somthing comes up like this (well not exactly like this) and the little voice in my head says to wait. DAMN it, why does ford (or any company) have to be soo stuck up, its like they dont want us to actually enjoy our cars!

MAD-3R, I truley hope everything works out. we're all routing for you!