PDA

View Full Version : Warped Rotors

Black 04
03-21-2006, 06:22 AM
My MM was in storage for the winter, took it out last week cleaned her up and noticed I had a bad vibration in the steering wheel when I hit the brakes. A couple of people have told me that I have warped rotors. The MM has 4,600 miles on her and the rotors are warped?:bigcry: . I spoke with my dealership and they told me that the rotors were not covered after 18 months. I called Ford customer service and gave them my vin # and they refered to me as a Grand Marquis:bigcry: I told them it was a MARAUDER!! and they gave me the same reply NOT COVERED.
Do you guys think I should purchase OEM rotors and install them myself or buy slotted aftermarkets and try the bling look. I don't have alot of money to spend, I'm on a tight budget.

AzMarauder
03-21-2006, 06:31 AM
My MM was in storage for the winter, took it out last week cleaned her up and noticed I had a bad vibration in the steering wheel when I hit the brakes. A couple of people have told me that I have warped rotors. The MM has 4,600 miles on her and the rotors are warped?:bigcry: . I spoke with my dealership and they told me that the rotors were not covered after 18 months. I called Ford customer service and gave them my vin # and they refered to me as a Grand Marquis:bigcry: I told them it was a MARAUDER!! and they gave me the same reply NOT COVERED.
Do you guys think I should purchase OEM rotors and install them myself or buy slotted aftermarkets and try the bling look. I don't have alot of money to spend, I'm on a tight budget.

Ray,

First thing... see if the rotors can be turned. Doesn't take much for them to be out enough for a vibration but you might get by with having them turned. If they've not been done before and the warpage isn't too bad you should be ok.

All rotors are subject to warping. So changing to aftermarket isn't a 100% guarantee it won't happen again.

Smokie
03-21-2006, 06:52 AM
Look for hot spots, they look like a random discoloration around circumference, the bad thing about warping rotors is that it can happen in very innocent ways....such as prolonged stop and go traffic followed by running over a puddle of water....also slamming on the brakes without engaging ABS and holding them down to a complete stop from high speed.

In your shoes I be pissed also, check to make sure your ABS DOES WORK, if not that can damage rotors....on their nickel...good luck.:)

SergntMac
03-21-2006, 07:06 AM
I think you should drive your MM for a few days, and drive it with spirit. Tires may have developed temporary flat spots, brake rotors may have high spots from seasonal corrosion. Run it up to speed and a try a few smooth but hard stops. Get he pads and rotors warm, exercise the brakes.

If they are shot, you have nothing to loose. Turning them would be cheaper than replacing them.

Rider90
03-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Get used to the rotors warping. You should see my steering wheel when I apply the brakes at 80 MPH. Turning the rotors is cheap, but just makes them that much easier to warp next time.

rayjay
03-21-2006, 07:46 AM
What ^^^^^^ MAC said if the car sat on the tires. You may have to rebalance them. Also, if it is the rotors, they can be trued up on the car.

DEFYANT
03-21-2006, 07:47 AM
I think you should drive your MM for a few days, and drive it with spirit. Tires may have developed temporary flat spots, brake rotors may have high spots from seasonal corrosion. Run it up to speed and a try a few smooth but hard stops. Get he pads and rotors warm, exercise the brakes.

If they are shot, you have nothing to loose. Turning them would be cheaper than replacing them.

This is your answer.

I had the same problem with my wifes mini van. She only uses it for very short trips and doesnt get the system up to operating temps very often. I suspect that since your car sat for awhile, either what Mac says happen or you got some pad material on the rotor.

Either way the fix is the same. Take it out on an open road and bring the system up to operating temps with some normal use. After temps are up, do a series of hard stops from 65-70 mph to 20 mph, drive the car a couple of minutes to cool down.

I did this on the mini van. The thing was bucking and kicking like it needed new rotors / drums. When I was done with the ^^ above, it was fine. Stops good as new.

:) Let us know how you do.

RF Overlord
03-21-2006, 08:00 AM
^^^what Mac and DEFYANT said^^^

If none of the above works, then contact Wes for some PowerSlot rotors...relatively inexpensive, but very good...I have them on the back to complement the Wilwood Big Brake kit on the front.

Black 04
03-21-2006, 11:53 AM
This is your answer.

I had the same problem with my wifes mini van. She only uses it for very short trips and doesnt get the system up to operating temps very often. I suspect that since your car sat for awhile, either what Mac says happen or you got some pad material on the rotor.

Either way the fix is the same. Take it out on an open road and bring the system up to operating temps with some normal use. After temps are up, do a series of hard stops from 65-70 mph to 20 mph, drive the car a couple of minutes to cool down.

I did this on the mini van. The thing was bucking and kicking like it needed new rotors / drums. When I was done with the ^^ above, it was fine. Stops good as new.

Thanks Guys. I will use the MM this week and let you know how I make out.

Black 04
03-30-2006, 06:48 PM
This is your answer.

That was it Guys!! I used the MM for the past 3 days and now when I hit the brakes nice and smooth.
You guys are the best :beer:

stevengerard
03-30-2006, 09:59 PM
glad I could help, oh i didn't. Oh well, glad it worked anyway.

MarauderMark
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Yep...:up: