PDA

View Full Version : g-force 255/55 kdw2

ctrlraven
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I was wonder who has them especially with some mileage and how do you like them? Road noise, tread wear, etc etc. I ask because of course all the 245's are out of stock and I will be wanting to replace mine sometime next month and I have a feeling they will be a good choice to go with but never hurts to ask the ppl that have exp with them. :)

greggash
03-27-2006, 03:20 PM
The 255/55 kdws is a great tire

much wider, at least an inch

and the grab is phenominal

I have 12 K and they are about 1/2 done (with a few burnouts too)

Marauder2005
03-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Makes the car look meaner as well. Everyone compliments on them.

As for 'grab', they act like there 1 w/ the road. :D

Smokie
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I hope you find this information useful: CLICK (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25230)...:)

duhtroll
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I have them and they rock. Very sticky even in rain, not loud at all, and the wear is definitely better than OEMs.

Howver, I thought 255 vs. 245 was only 1 cm wider??

-A

Smokie
03-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I have them and they rock. Very sticky even in rain, not loud at all, and the wear is definitely better than OEMs.

Howver, I thought 255 vs. 245 was only 1 cm wider??

-A

Yeap, less than 1/2"

03MERCMARAUDER
03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Will going with the 255 KDW2's throw the speedo off any?? I plan on replacing the stockers witha set later this year. Cant justify bying them now seeing that I just put two new KDW's on less than a month or so ago lol.

Joe

Marauder2005
03-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Will going with the 255 KDW2's throw the speedo off any?? I plan on replacing the stockers witha set later this year. Cant justify bying them now seeing that I just put two new KDW's on less than a month or so ago lol.

Joe

I'm going to go with 'no' and ill tell ya why. I was in a school zone with

an MPH sign that tells you your current mph. It matched my speedo

exact. Could be wrong, but thats my 2c :D

Smokie
03-27-2006, 04:25 PM

Joe

Yeap, tested with GPS 1 mph faster than speedo at 80 mph.... I can live with that.:)

LVMarauder
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I HIGHLY recommend the 255/55 KDW 2's. Serious grip, bad ass tread design and im more than happy with the tread wear im at 8/32's with about 8k miles, then again I stopped doing burnouts as well.

Marauder2005
03-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeap, tested with GPS 1 mph faster than speedo at 80 mph.... I can live with that.:)

Does this mean I will rack up miles quicker :D

mtnh
03-27-2006, 05:19 PM
I was all set to order some "2s" last week, but the reviews on tire rack were pretty damning for noise. I had my local place order up 4 of the fronts, so that i can rotate them, plus I don't have to wait for them. I figure I can get away with the 4 235/50 tires, since I don't have a blower and don't have upgraded rear gears, and I surely don't have traction control. I'll set the tire size up in my xcalibrator and get it pretty close on the speedometer. Plus, it's not my daily driver, I only drive it when it needs alignments... And the wife don't care about how it looks.. she lets kids jump on the trunk lid. :help:

Marauder2005
03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I was all set to order some "2s" last week, but the reviews on tire rack were pretty damning for noise. I had my local place order up 4 of the fronts, so that i can rotate them, plus I don't have to wait for them. I figure I can get away with the 4 235/50 tires, since I don't have a blower and don't have upgraded rear gears, and I surely don't have traction control. I'll set the tire size up in my xcalibrator and get it pretty close on the speedometer. Plus, it's not my daily driver, I only drive it when it needs alignments... And the wife don't care about how it looks.. she lets kids jump on the trunk lid. :help:

Does she travel 128s alot around noon? :)

Smokie
03-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Does this mean I will rack up miles quicker :D

No, the odometer will actually record a little less distance than you actually traveled, which means on a full tank of gas your MPG is slightly better than you think 'cause you traveled a little farther than what the odometer reads.:)

jabird56
03-27-2006, 06:48 PM
With 18K my KDW2s....they still rock, low noise, and they still stick like duct tape.

Smokie
03-27-2006, 06:49 PM
I was all set to order some "2s" last week, but the reviews on tire rack were pretty damning for noise.

I didn't notice any more sound coming from the "2's" than OEM tires, so I asked my brother in law who has ridden at least 5000 miles in the back seat of my car if he thought they were louder (he is a fanatic about noisy tires, always hearing sounds I don't hear) he didn't think they were loud. So that's only 2 opinions... what can I tell ya...:D

duhtroll
03-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Even *IF* they are louder than the OEM KDWS, they won't be for long, as the OEMs will be shot at 10K and then they get hellaloud.

OEM rears suck a$$. These KDW2s are MUCH better for every comparison.

-A

ctrlraven
03-27-2006, 09:33 PM
i guess i cant go worng with 16 ppl telling me to buy them lol. thanks for the input fellas :)

mtnh
03-27-2006, 09:58 PM
2005, no, the car is never on 128s. Unless you mean in NH... then yeah... (It's a state route that runs from dracut, ma, up to londonderry)

On the road noise, if you look on tire rack, the first three reviewers all hated the noise, but none of them were reporting from the cockpit of a body on frame RWD Ford... It was a data point that I put some trust in, since I drove some mean nasty noisy oem tires on my LS, the firestone firehawk lh, I think I went through 3 sets of them, and if someone says tire noise, I listen. I appreciate the help from here, though with real life experience on a MM with those tires. One other thing with the "2s" -- really bad snow traction, as told by both reviewers on tire rack and inside this forum system, I can't really take that risk, since a snow squall could happen around northern new england any time between october and may. Of course, a guy in connecticut would probably be okay with tires like that on his MM... :cool: With my wife and kids in the car, a set of all season tires with okay emergency snow capabilities would be my preference for when the pilot alpins are put away.

Mike

hdwrench
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Even *IF* they are louder than the OEM KDWS, they won't be for long, as the OEMs will be shot at 10K and then they get hellaloud.

OEM rears suck a$$. These KDW2s are MUCH better for every comparison.

-A

I have 21k on my OEM rears. I think i had 3/32" last oil change about 1k ago...

i am in the market for new tires OEM or not...

Rider90
03-27-2006, 10:35 PM

I have 22k on my rear KDW2s, I'll be in the market for new ones soon enough. OEMs lasted me all of 14k and were bald, atleast at 22k I still have tread left on the KDW2s.

hdwrench
03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
I have 22k on my rear KDW2s, I'll be in the market for new ones soon enough. OEMs lasted me all of 14k and were bald, atleast at 22k I still have tread left on the KDW2s.

my oem's still have tread... not bald. anyway if your OEM's lasted 14k and your getting 22k+ on the KDW2's then maybe ill get at least 30k if i switch to those :)

jim geary
03-27-2006, 11:13 PM
I was wonder who has them especially with some mileage and how do you like them? Road noise, tread wear, etc etc. I ask because of course all the 245's are out of stock and I will be wanting to replace mine sometime next month and I have a feeling they will be a good choice to go with but never hurts to ask the ppl that have exp with them. :)
Seems that both Tire rack and Discount tire have them on back order.

Smokie
03-28-2006, 05:09 AM
Below is my original review of the tires, pay close attention to the last 2 lines in bold:

Rear KDW2's after 13,500

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Yesterday while my son was installing my new front KDW2's (235/50ZR/18) I took the opportunity to check the wear on my rear KDW2's (255/55ZR/18), results.

After 13,500 miles, 14 months, 38 total passes at the track (20 passes with Trilogy blower) I have a uniform across width thread depth of 8/32". New tire has 10/32". The OEM originals were bald in the center at about 18k miles.

After about 200 miles on the new front tires: They are quiet, they transmit more road feel than OEM's, the steering and front end feels more responsive to input, you feel better connected to road...almost like if you did a suspension upgrade. Very pleased with results*.

*These tires are not recommended for use in the snow belt states, it is a Summer rated tire, Florida is rated an endless Summer State.;)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

duhtroll
03-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Even 21K is pretty gol-darned awful. They should simply last longer than that, burnouts notwithstanding.

I got 25K out of mine and at the time I had one of the longer lifespans for these tires. They have a weak sidewall (the OEMs that is) and the concensus on this board is that allowed for more center wear at highway speeds. They worked the opposite of other tires. Underinflation means more center wear on these, whereas more pressure keeps them more even.

Lowndex
03-29-2006, 01:15 PM
There are few tires in 18" for the Marauder. The BF Goodrich g-force 255/55 kdw2 are a relativelt quiet riding tire with excellent dry road traction, moderate wet traction. As far as mileage goes, you should not expect high mileage out of a performace tire. Traction comes at the expense of longevity - less life. The g-force 255/55 kdw2 are a good mix of great traction and decent life of the tire.

I cannot stress enough the importance of tire pressure. Monitor it weekly and your tires will last longer. Of course, rotating is out of the question (rear tires bigger than front).

BAD MERC
03-30-2006, 06:14 PM
I have the 255/55's. They look a litle big on the car when next to another Marauder. The ONLY reason they're there is because the bozo previous owner put them ALL THE WAY AROUND before he traded the car. Aside from traction and ABS issues, they made it look like a 4X4. I smoked the rears clean off and replaced a pair with the correct size fronts. I don't have a way to compare the mileage and drivability issues with these tires. But, I would say a taller tire will affect the acceleration of the car.

04MRADR
03-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Got the new KDW 2 P255s this past week with new P235 KDW 2 in the front. Had alignment done as Carfixer suggested. Tires are much better than originals. I swear there grabbing the road as I drive. Tremendous grip! Car seems to accelerate faster with them as well. Thought it was because of higher air pressure but installers put only 33 psi in each tire. And yes, the look meaner. I was also watching Overhaulin the other night and Foose put them on one of his import rebuilds. I thought dam! Same tires I just got. Only have about 300 miles on them but really see a difference from originals. I noticed one other diference. The air suspension motor doesn't always run when I start the car and I don't get the Darth Vader noise when I shut down since I put the new treads on.

David Morton
03-30-2006, 11:23 PM
There have been some comments here that seem to show a little confusion as to which of the G-Force tires you were asking about. I've had both, the KDWS factory original and the KDW2.

The KDWS is an awesome performer. One with the road, phenomenal traction wet or dry. The wear isn't so good but hey, there is no "best of both worlds" tire when it comes to traction versus wear. If you want the best traction compound, it's gonna wear fast. No getting around that fact. But if you consider what you spend per mile, tires are less than 1/4 than the cost of gas, even if you have a sticky tire that wears out fast. Cutting a 5c per mile cost down to 3c per mile when you're spending 20c per mile on gas seems silly when you bought a Marauder to begin with. Why would I obsess about tire wear and then drive like I do?

Currently I'm driving on the KDW2's (per reccomendations on this site) and compared to the KDWS tire, well, THEY SUCK! On dry pavement they are passable, traction is adequate (for the average driver) but not nearly as good as the KDWS. Many times I've had to tone down my maneuvers because I know the tire won't let me do what the car has proved to me it's capable of doing with the KDWS tires on it. Now, she pushes in the turns, an obvious understeer condition, and many WOT turns from a stop aren't possible. With the KDWS tires I could nail it to the floor on a right turn onto a four lane road and not worry about fishtailing into the next lane, or go WOT on a left turn from a stop and put the car smack into the left lane. Now, none of those things are possible.

And as for wet traction, in my opinion, on this car, the KDW2 is dangerous. Don't do any part-throttle downshifts if you're in a turn on a wet road, you may lose it altogether. I've had them for about 4000 miles and if anybody here will give me $200 for the set of four, I'll be glad to be rid of them. It's not worth it to me to keep them any longer. Send me an e-mail and we'll work out the details.

So to sum up, I LOVE the KDWS and HATE the KDW2.

BTW, are the KDWS tires back in production? If so I'll order me up a set of those.

And for those here that like the KDW2... We're alright, I'm not saying you don't know tires or are wrong about your assessment of the tire. You just don't drive as hard as I do and don't know what this car is truly capable of doing with a set of really good tires on it, like the KDWS.

Digital Man
03-31-2006, 08:25 AM
All this talk about going to the 255, has anyone gone the other way? 235? I mean, there seems to be only one 245 (The KDWS) and several 235 and 255s to choose from.

Would that impact the car performance and handling much over the 245?

Also, what would be the issue if you were to change the profile to say, 50?

LVMarauder
03-31-2006, 09:11 AM
And for those here that like the KDW2... We're alright, I'm not saying you don't know tires or are wrong about your assessment of the tire. You just don't drive as hard as I do and don't know what this car is truly capable of doing with a set of really good tires on it, like the KDWS.

You are talking out of your ass... again. Who ever started this thread listen to the majority and not this nutjob. How the **** do you know how we drive?

duhtroll
03-31-2006, 09:30 AM

Oh, I drive as hard as you do. Trust me. I just got a torque converter installed. My KDW2 rears should be gone by the end of the summer and about 16-18K total miles due to the number of burnouts, not the treadwear rating. (Of course then I can widen the wheels and get some drag radials so I have an ulterior motive.)

You seem to be the only one here who prefers the KDWS. I'm not saying you're on crack or anything but I've tested both, and have more than 25K on the OEMS, and 10K on the KDW2s. The KDW2 are far superior in dry and wet traction, and even in snow as I had the unfortunate experience to drive on them last November when we got hit early.

You probably got better traction because your KDWSs were slicks by 12K miles. That would offer better dry traction, yes . . . :D

I'm only speaking about rears here. I have had no problem with the KDWS fronts, but you're in the vast minority in your praise of the OEM rear tires for this car, and I am not simply referring to MM owners.

David Morton
03-31-2006, 10:45 PM
My original rears were bald at 7000 miles, and not strictly from burnouts. I did maybe three or four burnouts, tops. The fronts went to 1/16th inch tread left at 15,000 when I bought the KDW2s, which are holding up quite well. Still plenty of tread at 20,000 now. Almost look new. Squeally tire. Definitely not a great traction compound, good, but not great.

That's how I drive.

But by all means you guys, follow the herd. There's "safety" in numbers. But not in this poor KDW2 tire. My experience is that the KDWS is much better all around.

I've stated my experience, LV. If you don't believe me, that's OK. I don't peg my self-esteem to yours or anybody elses opinion of me. Why should I? Go flame somebody who gives a *****.

Or grow up. You could've just said you disagree and left it at that. You might be a happier man if you did grow up instead of going to war every time you disagree with somebody. With that temperament you will have gone to war with everybody in a few years over silly stuff like this and you won't have any friends anymore.

LVMarauder
04-01-2006, 01:33 AM
lol you obviously care, why did you write so much? Im not the one trying to act like I invented the wheel and telling the whole forum they an incapable of driving their car. Im just trying to save that guy some tires. We all know your reputation here, ill leave it at that.

David Morton
04-01-2006, 03:47 PM
If I were half as wise now as I thought I was at 20...

rayjay
04-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Anyone know why the 235/50/18 KDW2s are so much more pricey than the 255/55/18s for the rear? The price and sales by tirerack on the OEMs have kept me from switching.

duhtroll
04-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I believe it is because it is a more infrequently used size.

ctrcbob
04-02-2006, 05:28 PM
The 235-50-18 is also the size used on the Mustang GT with the optional 18 inch (Marauder) wheels.

Tallboy
04-02-2006, 06:04 PM
OK, here's my story: I'm about to toss on my 3rd set of OEM rears. Mileage on the current set? 7000 miles. Yep. Way too many burnouts and drag races. Know what? Next set won't last any longer. This is a toy, and when I turn the key, it ain't to take Grandma to church. This car knows when the cover comes off, it's hell-raisin' time. I have no complaints about handling or grip. The KDWS does just fine for me. I wouldn't put a set of KDW2s on my car if you gave them to me for free and you paid to have them mounted and balanced. Why? They look like crap. Rear tires look too big for our wheels, and that tread pattern is pure ricer.

duhtroll
04-02-2006, 06:15 PM
So, in other words you have no experience with the KDW2s?

We're not talking about looks. Looks are entirely subjective and have literally nothing to do with this discussion, or the grip of the tires BTW.

Do you have a *performance-related* experience to offer?

OK, here's my story: I'm about to toss on my 3rd set of OEM rears. Mileage on the current set? 7000 miles. Yep. Way too many burnouts and drag races. Know what? Next set won't last any longer. This is a toy, and when I turn the key, it ain't to take Grandma to church. This car knows when the cover comes off, it's hell-raisin' time. I have no complaints about handling or grip. The KDWS does just fine for me. I wouldn't put a set of KDW2s on my car if you gave them to me for free and you paid to have them mounted and balanced. Why? They look like crap. Rear tires look too big for our wheels, and that tread pattern is pure ricer.

Tallboy
04-02-2006, 06:17 PM
So, in other words you have no experience with the KDW2s?

We're not talking about looks. Looks are entirely subjective and have literally nothing to do with this discussion, or the grip of the tires BTW.

Do you have a *performance-related* experience to offer?

I've driven several Marauders equipped with the KDW2s. Supercharged and N/A. I didn't notice any difference in handling, grip, or road noise.

Just noticed they look like crap.

Smokie
04-02-2006, 06:43 PM
.....Just noticed they look like crap.

I'm telling Mayra what you said. You are in trouble Mister.;)

Tallboy
04-02-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm telling Mayra what you said. You are in trouble Mister.;)

Like I was ever out of trouble?:lol:

See you soon, my friend...;)

Smokie
04-02-2006, 06:49 PM
....See you soon, my friend...;)

Yeap, hope a cold wind blows....:D

jabird56
04-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I just cruised through 350 miles of rain and down pour with my KDW2s (from Minneapolis to Omaha), and they stayed "locked" to the pavement the entire time.

David Morton
04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
That's right Tallboy, I forgot about that one, the looks. My take is they belong on a 4WD ricer pickup truck.

And about being in trouble all the time...

...hope springs eternal. :banana:

Now some of you Yankees can keep yer talk 'bout drivin' to yerselfs. We Rebs have dominated NASCAR since its' insepshun...it's incepsh...incep...

OH HELL! FROM THE VERY BEGINNIN'!

Comes from runnin' 'shine.

:lol:

YEEEEEEE HAW!

duhtroll
04-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Leave it to the rednecks to run shine in an oval.

That's right Tallboy, I forgot about that one, the looks. My take is they belong on a 4WD ricer pickup truck.

And about being in trouble all the time...

...hope springs eternal. :banana:

Now some of you Yankees can keep yer talk 'bout drivin' to yerselfs. We Rebs have dominated NASCAR since its' insepshun...it's incepsh...incep...

OH HELL! FROM THE VERY BEGINNIN'!

Comes from runnin' 'shine.

YEEEEEEE HAW!

rayjay
04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Yankees?, I thought the civil war ended 141 years ago... Anyway my family did not emigrate to the USA until the 1890's, so I guess I'm exempt from that statement? Come on Dave, lighten up will ya...

David Morton
04-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Leave it to the rednecks to run shine in an oval.Hence, my interst in tunin' the car to run on alcohol. Convert the trunk into one big tank and fill 'er with shine.

Make deliveries and never have to worry 'bout runnin' out of gas! :D

And rayjay, yer alright with me! Least as far as not bein' directly involved in the war, you know like having a great-grandpaw that were shootin' at my great-grandpaw.

the_pack_rat
04-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't put a set of KDW2s on my car if you gave them to me for free and you paid to have them mounted and balanced. Why? They look like crap. Rear tires look too big for our wheels, and that tread pattern is pure ricer.
I recall a similar opinion awhile back(in regards to the tread pattern of the KDW2's) -

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showpost.php?p=268899&postcount=33

Geez .....

Who whizzed in his cornflakes ?!?!?!?.

:rolleyes:

:P

Smokie
04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I recall a similar opinion awhile back(in regards to the tread pattern of the KDW2's) -

Geez .....

Who whizzed in his cornflakes ?!?!?!?

:rolleyes:.......:P

Wow I missed that one, actually I think is pretty funny.

I'm happy with my car.....if every time someone here did something to his/her car I thought was dubious, I actually told them....well I just wouldn't have any friends.:P

Tallboy
04-04-2006, 01:59 PM

Geez .....

Who whizzed in his cornflakes ?!?!?!?.

:rolleyes:
:P

Barkeep! Another round here! :beer: :D