PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Area Intel Needed

Agent M79
03-27-2006, 07:50 PM
More specifically the area centered around a 20 minute drive time around Cockeysville.

If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me, please PM me.

Thanks!

Joe Walsh
03-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Check your 'PM's....

Mezclador
04-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Congratulations to me! New 2004 Black Marauder with 7,500 miles on it's way from Illinois as I write this. As a newbie, I am following up to this thread about Baltimore Intel. I hope Baltimore Intel means he's looking for a shop to install a s/c and other improvements. That is what I am looking for. Please let me know. >Ari in Baltimore

Joe Walsh
04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Welcome aboard!!

Make sure that you keep an eye on the 'CAM' forum...(Capitol Area Marauders)
We meet about once a month and there are some great people in the group.

Actually, 'Agent 79' was looking for some housing & school information on the Baltimore area while reviewing a job offer here in Baltimore.

ctrlraven
04-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Congratulations to me! New 2004 Black Marauder with 7,500 miles on it's way from Illinois as I write this. As a newbie, I am following up to this thread about Baltimore Intel. I hope Baltimore Intel means he's looking for a shop to install a s/c and other improvements. That is what I am looking for. Please let me know. >Ari in Baltimore By any chance were you ref. to this website by a card left on your car?

baltimoremm
04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
sent you a PM

Mezclador
04-05-2006, 12:50 AM
My new honey is , as I write this, in transit from Chicago. She's comin' home!

Mezclador
04-05-2006, 12:55 AM
I've been a sideline watcher of the site for about 6 months and finally pulled the trigger. I've actually been a sideliner of anything Marauder for about 6 months.

Who is the Baltimore resource for high quality engine/ car modifications? Also, when is the next CAM meeting- Do I just show up? Thanks for the welcoming party... ehem.:coolman:

Bluerauder
04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
Also, when is the next CAM meeting- Do I just show up?
Next Capitol Area Marauder (CAM) meet is 30 April at Bert's 50s Diner (down Route 5 south of DC). Check out the new CAM forum for details and vote up in the attendance poll.

Agent M79
04-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Nothing I have learned is more astonishing (to me) than the cost of homes in this area. Yikes.

It has been suggested that scooting up 83 just over the PA line is worth considering.

ctrlraven
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Nothing I have learned is more astonishing (to me) than the cost of homes in this area. Yikes.

It has been suggested that scooting up 83 just over the PA line is worth considering. Yes that actually is a good idea. I know a lot of ppl that buy a home over the PA line and then comute to Baltimore or wherever their job is in MD. Lancaster and Hanover are two popular places I know ppl have bought homes at and got a good deal.

Haggis
04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Yes that actually is a good idea. I know a lot of ppl that buy a home over the PA line and then comute to Baltimore or wherever their job is in MD. Lancaster and Hanover are to popular place I know ppl have bought homes at a good deal.
Or the further west you go homes tend to drop in price, but lately Frederick County has been on th rise. Try Carol County.

Cheeseheadbob
04-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Just my opinion, but the commute from anywhere over the PA line on I-83 is a PITA! I have friends who live up there and say it takes them 1 1/2 hours to go 30 miles. More and more people are moving up there so the congestion is getting as bad or worse than metro Baltimore. Housing prices may be cheaper, but the taxes will kill you. They have taxes I have never heard of. If you want to stay within a 20 minute commute of Cockeysville, you are going to spend $350,000+ to get a decent house in a good school district. You may want to check into some townhouses in the Mays Chapel area. They are big and run around 250K-300K. Welcome to the east coast! I may be selling my house in Lutherville(10 minutes south of Cockeysville) in a couple of months.:D

It has been suggested that scooting up 83 just over the PA line is worth considering.

Joe Walsh
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Just my opinion, but the commute from anywhere over the PA line on I-83 is a PITA! I have friends who live up there and say it takes them 1 1/2 hours to go 30 miles. More and more people are moving up there so the congestion is getting as bad or worse than metro Baltimore. Housing prices may be cheaper, but the taxes will kill you. They have taxes I have never heard of. If you want to stay within a 20 minute commute of Cockeysville, you are going to spend $350,000+ to get a decent house in a good school district. You may want to check into some townhouses in the Mays Chapel area. They are big and run around 250K-300K. Welcome to the east coast! I may be selling my house in Lutherville(10 minutes south of Cockeysville) in a couple of months.:D

I'll second that thought.....EVERYBODY has moved up into PA. to save $$$ on a house and as a result;
I-83 southbound is a friggin' mess every morning at rush hour....and a h#ll hole northbound in the evening.
Although you would be getting off at Shawan road which is well north of the Baltimore Beltway mess.
I lived in Dallastown, Pa. for a year and Pa. has a 3% local school tax, but overall the taxes were less than in Maryland.

Warbuff
04-08-2006, 09:41 PM

Hmm interesting....... 83 is "under construction" and you can use York Rd as a good bypass depending on how far north you have to go. If you can get a Townhouse in Mays Chapel for under 300k BUY IT!@! If you look close enough, there still are some great buys in Cockeysville for about $240,000. 3 bed room, 2 bath kinda things.

Heres my suggestion. MOVE TO GREENVILLE SC, YOU WILL LIVE LIKE A KING!!!!

Agent M79
04-09-2006, 04:34 AM
MOVE TO GREENVILLE SC, YOU WILL LIVE LIKE A KING!!!!

I live in Mooresville NC now and while I am not living like a king, I am not living badly either. We've done a line item expense comparison and have found that equivalency of lifestyle requires 50% to 60% more income in the Baltimore area (mostly concentrating on north of Baltimore) than here with housing being the big leader.

Joe Walsh
04-09-2006, 06:23 AM
I live in Mooresville NC now and while I am not living like a king, I am not living badly either. We've done a line item expense comparison and have found that equivalency of lifestyle requires 50% to 60% more income in the Baltimore area (mostly concentrating on north of Baltimore) than here with housing being the big leader.

That will cut severely into your Marauder 'Modding' budget...

The good news is that you can turn around and sell the house in a few years and make a nice chunk of change.

My "I can barely afford this!" $186,000 three bedroom is now worth $400,000 in a 10 year span!

Haggis
04-09-2006, 07:55 AM
The house we just bought on 30 Dec. '05 has increased in value $20K to $30k in just 3 months, but that does not mean we will get that much if we put it on the market at this time.

jgc61sr2002
04-09-2006, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Walsh]That will cut severely into your Marauder 'Modding' budget...

The good news is that you can turn around and sell the house in a few years and make a nice chunk of change.

Yes that's true. But where do you go?

Agent M79
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
IF we moved, we'd not have the $$$ to put a down payment down on the house that would be right for us. I could see house hopping for a while but that is hard on the kid. There is still so much in the up in the air I am just absorbing the information now so there isn't a mad scramble later.

Agent M79
04-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Let's hear about Westminster. The wife keeps mentioning that area.

ctrlraven
04-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Let's hear about Westminster. The wife keeps mentioning that area. Nice area, has built up over the years with a lot of the farming land being sold and property cost has gone up a lot. I myself will be a first time home buyer hopefully this year and I am looking in the area of Mount Airy (or spelled Mt. Airy) in the Frederick County area. Nice size single family homes with a decent amount of land (1 or more acres) with price ranges of 250K-500K. Of course with making the largest purchase anyone can make on something I am extremely picky and the house must have a min of a 2 car garage and possibly a detached garage or large workshop and it seems only in the area that I listed above I can find homes like that. Also other areas near Westminster that might be worth checking out would be Taneytown, Finksburg and Eldersburg.

Joe Walsh
04-10-2006, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=Joe Walsh]That will cut severely into your Marauder 'Modding' budget...

Yes that's true. But where do you go?

A six car garage with a bedroom, family room and a kitchen above it.:D

Joe Walsh
04-10-2006, 03:52 PM

Westminster is nice. It was very rural...but not anymore...
As 'ctrlraven' mentioned, it is getting built-up quickly, and Route 140/I-795 gets pretty busy at rush hour.
Trouble with Westminster is that there is no easy route/major roads from there to Cockeysville...

Cheeseheadbob
04-10-2006, 04:25 PM
I employed a very qualified and valued guy who lived in Taneytown. He quit after making the commute for two years. He was a very proud member of the NRA, as am I, and he swore if he had to make the drive one more time, there would be a big mess on the beltway. "nuff said"

fastblackmerc
04-10-2006, 04:59 PM
So Agent M79 your leaving the Carolina Marauders?

Agent M79
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
I dunno. There are decisions to be made and a lack of facts to make them with. I'll know more next month. Until then, I am building my profile of the area and learning a lot.

ctrlraven
04-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Agent PM me with what type of house layout, sq ft, etc etc are you looking for? I have a friend thats a real estate agent and I could give him the info and have him check out things...if you want.

Haggis
04-11-2006, 03:24 AM
Don't worry fasblack we will take care of him.

Rural Maryland is one of the fastest growing areas of the country for the last 10yrs. Depending on what you are looking for to where you look prices range from $400K upwards to $1 mil. You could by a single family home with no land, reach out and touch your neighbor, to a single family and 5 car garage with 2 acres for $400K or 6 or more acres from $600K to $1mil with a nice size home. Or a townhouse with garage for $450k+.

We also have a realtor that is a family friend that works in the Frederick/Washington County area. If you want to look in that area? What kind of business are you in? More and more business are coming out this way, we could help you find a job.

Agent M79
04-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Well. Looks like I am going to take a second look. Date not set yet. Thanks for all the info and offers for more assistance everyone!

ctrlraven
04-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Well. Looks like I am going to take a second look. Date not set yet. Thanks for all the info and offers for more assistance everyone! No problem, let us know when your coming up so we can help guide you around the area.