PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want a spare or stronger 4r75w?

juno
03-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Here is the deal.

I came across a lot of 475rw's (30) that were turned in by Ford as faulty.

But you have to buy all 30.:(

I am inquiring as to what a complete rebuild will run with all the good parts and J-mods.

If you could get a completely upgraded 4r75w for 1400 or 1500 dollars built to withstand reasonable (450 -500rwhp) power adder abuse, how many would be interested? They may be available cheaper, but I won't know for a bit.

You could stick it in and save the stock or current tranny for a rainy day. Or sell them for 600 -900 dollars.

Anyone who has had tranny issues should understand the security of having a spare. :)

Edit: or anyone interested to buy one as is and get it rebuilt themselves?

Any interest or suggestions to make this possible?

Zack
03-28-2006, 08:24 AM
How much for all of them?

RoyLPita
03-28-2006, 08:36 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:

MarauderMark
03-28-2006, 08:47 AM
:popcorn::popcorn:
:popcorn:Eyes on this thread as well..

juno
03-28-2006, 08:57 AM
How much for all of them?

$300 each, so 9 large for all of them. I am trying to get shipping/payment info as we speak.

SergntMac
03-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Group buy!

Put me down for 1 @ 300 bucks, plus shipping...

RoyLPita
03-28-2006, 10:42 AM
As advised by my tranny guy, I will pass on this one on the basis of "opening a can of worms". But thanx anyway.

Rider90
03-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Can you describe "Faulty?"

MarauderMark
03-28-2006, 12:41 PM
My quess:
Could be something simple to something that couldn't be fixed so it is a core , so you take chance on what you get and my luck i would more than likely get the one where the housing is cracked:rolleyes: .But either way the purpose is for rebuilding or modifying..Something i will have think about but will keep watching this thread..:D

fastblackmerc
03-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Watching also..... I'd buy one for $300 + shipping.... would be a good addition to the Trilogy S/C I'm going to win this Saturday:D :D :D

juno
03-28-2006, 01:09 PM

No clue. You are buying a core to be rebuilt.

But if you can find a high HP 4r75w for under 2000, let me know and I will buy that instead. :)

Zack
03-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Can we haggle them down?

juno
03-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Can we haggle them down?

Unfortuantely, no.

Rider90
03-28-2006, 02:09 PM
I would more than likely get the one where the housing is cracked
Do any of them have cracked housings?

MarauderMark
03-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Do any of them have cracked housings?
I dont know that just the chance you take.thats what i am thinking ..but if there was just 1 it more than likely would be purchased by me.:rolleyes:

jgc61sr2002
03-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I would think some of them would have cracked housings. If so they would be usless as a core.

Joe Walsh
03-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm very interested, as long as their condition wouldn't preclude them from being rebuilt.
But I'm a little worried......Why wouldn't the dealer's service dept. have rebuilt them 'in house'??

juno
03-29-2006, 05:57 AM
Well, this is turning into a hassle to contact the seller, but I have a very reputable tranny dude who is willing to do the work and work with us on finished products.

If you are interested keep posting!

Actually, I will start a poll.

JMan
03-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Well, this is turning into a hassle to contact the seller, but I have a very reputable tranny dude who is willing to do the work and work with us on finished products.

If you are interested keep posting!

Actually, I will start a poll.

I believe 4r70's and 4r75's have exactly the same housing in the same application. So even a cracked housing could be replaced with a 4r70w core housing. It's the internals that are different. I am certain someone with more tranny knowledge will step up and confirm this. I'll contact some tranny guys for more info and core cost in the case that's necessary. Thanks for thinking of everyone Juno!

J

David Morton
04-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Word to the wise...this one's a pig in a poke.

Years ago the TH400, one of the most durable transmissions in history, had a bad run from the factory. "Faulty" I was doing warranty work on one every week, burned clutches, finicky shifting, bearings wiped out.

When the final word came through the diagnosis was crooked cases!

The tooling had worn out on the machines that made the cases from the raw castings and so, being the foundation from which everything else was supposed to fit into, anything could go wrong. Low pressure from a leaking passage (undetectable) wiping out clutches, pressure crossing over to other passages in the valve body from an unseen pinhole leak under the spacer plate causing unreliable shift fluid signals, crooked alignment of the stack of cluthches and gears wiping out bearings.

All of this stuff almost undetectable. You would have needed a computer and a laser measuring device to plot out all the possible flaws.

In the end we were being told to change the cases on almost any TH400 complaint. They had fixed the case tooling by then.

SO! Watch out on these "faulty" trannies. On an automatic, ten-thousand things can be "faulty" and cause a failure. And there are some things that can be wrong that you cannot see no matter how good you are.

On these I'd say install it, let it fail, and then try to diagnose it. You stand a much better chance of finding out what's wrong when you have a bad part or two to narrow the field of possible causes.