PDA

View Full Version : Tires - where to buy?

Digital Man
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
So I put the summer on and noticed that the rears are down to the wear bar almost. My local garage quoted $270+ for OE tires and an unknown delivery date. When I regain consciousness, I said I would think about it.

Reading through other posts some have moved to the 255/55VR18 RF BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 which look nice. In fact, they are $123ea at TireRack. So I have two questions.

Any trouble using the KDW2 on the back with the OE tires on the front? And, has anyone from Canada order via TireRack? What kind of Taxes/Duty charges are you hit with?

Actually, one other question. Anyone recommend a Canadian tire supplier?

Thanks.

cshorts
03-31-2006, 09:28 PM
When I bought my Marauder about 3 months ago the dealership put on new rear tires and they told me that they were about $300 a piece ($CDN). I have bought a few sets of rims and tires at Discount Tire in Michigan for my other vehicles (Mustang and Mark VIII) and had to pay only the PST and GST when I came back (15% only!). I wasn't charged any extra duty. Even with paying the taxes the savings were substantial. I think Discount was around $134 US for the stock rears. I have always found the Discount Tire guys great and would recommend them to anyone.

Marauderjack
04-01-2006, 04:29 AM
This is really a HOOT!!!:shake:

My third set of rears (at 22K) cost $85.00 each at tire rack!!??;)

Now they are OUT OF STOCK and $300.00 each??:mad2::bs:

Someone at Ford should be "Tarred & Feathered"!!:argue:

Get some Nitto NT-555's and forget about tire problems!!:bows:

Marauderjack:burnout:

de minimus
04-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Try http://www.1010tires.com/. This site shows the rears @ $255 Cdn. When it's time for new tires for me ( which is getting close, as I'm @ 40,000 km) I plan on the 255/55/18 KDW's for the rear. if you want feedback on what they're like ask Bruteforce. Plus the KDW's look fantastic.

Canadasvt
04-22-2006, 05:59 AM
You can call Cheapthrills in Milton 905-878-6853 They don't take cheques or plastic and are not open Tuesdays or Thursdays. I've purchased a few wheels and tires from them over the years.

SergntMac
04-22-2006, 07:01 AM
KDWS and KDW2 tread patterns are dramatically different, and it's generally not good to mix tire patterns. Tires will heat, hook, and vacate water at different speeds which could cause a tire to stick when you need slide, or worse, the opposite. I suppose you could learn to handle the car okay, but remember too, the KDW2 is not an all season tread pattern. You'll not be pleased when it snows. IMHO, buy matching tires, or as close as you can get.

MM2004
04-22-2006, 07:45 AM
For the helluvit, I just called Big O Tires up the road from me and they can get the rears in a couple of days for $200.00 ea.

This includes mounting balancing and out the door.
An additional ~$20.00 ea. for road hazard warranty.

Mike.

jgc61sr2002
04-22-2006, 08:13 AM
KDWS and KDW2 tread patterns are dramatically different, and it's generally not good to mix tire patterns. Tires will heat, hook, and vacate water at different speeds which could cause a tire to stick when you need slide, or worse, the opposite. I suppose you could learn to handle the car okay, but remember too, the KDW2 is not an all season tread pattern. You'll not be pleased when it snows. IMHO, buy matching tires, or as close as you can get.

What Sgt. Mac said.^^^^^^

67435animal
04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
So I put the summer on and noticed that the rears are down to the wear bar almost. My local garage quoted $270+ for OE tires and an unknown delivery date. When I regain consciousness, I said I would think about it.

Reading through other posts some have moved to the 255/55VR18 RF BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 which look nice. In fact, they are $123ea at TireRack. So I have two questions.

Any trouble using the KDW2 on the back with the OE tires on the front? And, has anyone from Canada order via TireRack? What kind of Taxes/Duty charges are you hit with?

Actually, one other question. Anyone recommend a Canadian tire supplier?

Thanks.

I have KDW 2s all around. Very happy with the way the car handles. No center wear in the rears.

Buy 'em.