PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this problem with wax?

ghost03
04-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Today I spent several hours washing/waxing my car. After wiping off the wax I noticed that there were some darker shaded areas on my hood and trunk. I also had them on the quarter pannels and doors but mostly on the hood and trunk....I have seen the darker shaded areas b4 and was able to wipe or rub it in a little harder and would dissapear.. I was rubbing the darn car so hard I thought I was taking off a layer of base coat. After all that rubbing some parts still had the darker shade and would not go away. My guess is that the wax is setteling in deeper in some areas and not as much in others. I have been using the same wax since I have had my Marauder and never has this happened as much as today.. I washed my car outside in the sun and dried it off and put it in my friends garage to cool befor waxing it. The car was spotless and didnt have any streaks or stains.I took my time waxing it and after wiping off the wax I noticed the problem. Maybe I had the wax on for too long. Does that make such a big difference. I had it on for about 45 minutes while I was having luch and then started to wipe it off......Im sure that because my car is black you can see more blemeshes once it is clean but it pissed me off to see all the time I spent and got the result I did....:mad2: Does anyone know why this happens. Does anyone have the same thing happen to them. Im sure that you wouldnt be able to see it on the silver birch, but what about anyone with blue or DTR's. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

jgc61sr2002
04-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Which wax are you using?

Some waxes will do that.

IMO Zaino is the best for black vehicles. Never had a streaking problem with their products.

03MERCMARAUDER
04-01-2006, 04:12 PM
If you have an orbital buffer try this. Get a spray bottle and fill it with cool water. Use clean terry cloth pads on the buffer. Mist the areas with the water and buff to a shine. This should get rid of the dark areas and at the same time give your car a spit polish look. I have done this numerous times on my car an well as freinds cars. I have had this happen with the wax I use. Usually happens from either applying a little to much wax in that area and also happens depending on which wax you are using. Alot of carnuba based waxes and pure carnuba waxes will cause these effects.

Joe

Rick-n-Miami
04-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Try "Zaino"

ghost03
04-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Which wax are you using?

Some waxes will do that.

IMO Zaino is the best for black vehicles. Never had a streaking problem with their products. I use Mguires Next Generation wax. I have the Zaino but I heard it takes a long time.

not5-0
04-01-2006, 04:36 PM
I have always used Zymol carbon on my black cars and get lots of compliments on the shine, I have tried Zaino and it also was impressive but was more work IMO. If you have been using the same brand of wax before and did not experience this problem it could be the wax is old or perhaps its a bad batch. I would buy a new can of wax and maybe that will work. Good Luck

KillJoy
04-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I had similar results w/ one of the new synthetix waxes. Tossed the bottel and never went back.

Another +1 for Zaino.

KillJoy

TripleTransAm
04-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I only used to get this is the surface I was waxing was too hot, or not completely dry.

pantheroc
04-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Heard about Zaino last year, thought I'd give it a try......I spent a whole day in spring Zaino'ing last year and it didn't need a touch up at all for the whole summer. The car was used as a partial daily driver. The water beaded after every wash during the summer and fall like I just applied the Zaino's.

How often do other northerners have to wax a black car in one year?

jgc61sr2002
04-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I use Mguires Next Generation wax. I have the Zaino but I heard it takes a long time.

I tried Maguires Next Generation and there was too much residue(dust) for me.

Zaino is easy on as well as off.

Cobra25
04-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Paint it Silver and you wont have that problem !

jawz101
04-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Is it a cleaner wax? Reason I ask is that cleaner waxes are typically oil(petroleum)-based and leave some noticable oil left behind. You can either keep on wiping, do another coat with a protectant wax w/o the same makeup or let it go until your next wash.

my credentials (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/4/7/5/wax_compound.JPG) :) used to detail at largest FLM dealership in Okla (300/mo.) & dad owns a detail shop now.

It seems like a lot more companies are making petroleum-based waxes than before. My dad used to have a can of Turtlewax and a bottle of Blue Coral paste. You'd spend 2 hours putting one coat on and taking it off.

ghost03
04-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Paint it Silver and you wont have that problem ! Sure!!! I'll let you pick up the bill once I get my car painted silver

TripleTransAm
04-01-2006, 06:39 PM
How often do other northerners have to wax a black car in one year?

The extreme case here:

I used to do it as often as every weekend or two, back in the mid 90s when I was over my head into car shows with my GTA. Got a crap load of trophies to show for it from all the car shows I drove to in the New England states and Ontario. Sounds like a lot of effort, but consider that this was an otherwise daily driven car. In the process, I learned a heck of a lot about detailing a black car. :help:

Here was the routine:
Friday: pick up psycho ex-girlfriend after leaving work, ask her if she wanted to do something that weekend, she'd tell me she was feeling down in the dumps because of <insert the latest little thing in life that got her feeling blue>, I'd suggest we do something fun, we'd eventually argue, I'd dump her at her parents' and go home to wash the car, knowing I had the weekend to myself.
Saturday: the car had dried overnight in my parents' garage, so the whole day was spent stripping one-week-old wax and re-applying new coats, detailing the multi-spoke wheels (!) and the underhood area. By Saturday evening, I'd wash the car again (my 'home-grown' trick to removing any excessive wax haze!) and while the car was drying I'd do the interior. Depending on how many times my ex-girlfriend would call looking for sympathy for <insert the latest thing in life that got her feeling blue>, this might take until 1 or 2 am.
Sunday morning: drive off to whatever car show, grab trophy :D , head home to pick up 5+ messages from ex-girlfriend stating how she missed me so much that weekend and that she regretted letting life get to her and how next weekend would be different....

Next Friday, repeat... :lol:

If I knew about the many "instant detailers" back then, I probably could have skipped the second wash after the wax job. Also, by using the Instant Detailer after every wash, I might have gotten away with not having to wax the whole mess before every single freaking car show... but what the heck, I've always tried to do things 100% or not at all. :P

Nowadays, once a year is good enough for me, as long as I stick to the instant detailers after every wash.

magindat
04-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Rob,
An old trick my gramps used, wet a terry rag with kerosene. Yes, I said kerosene. Wipe with kerosene and dry immediately with a dry rag. Talk about bling. I have never seen anything like it ever. He always did it after a wax. I've done it a couple times for shows.

Try it on your scratched back bumper cover first. What could it hurt there?

Cya2morrow.
Rich

03MERCMARAUDER
04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Thats a neat trick. I will have to try that next time except I will do it on the GF car lol. Does it really give a nice shine??

Joe

FastMerc
04-01-2006, 09:25 PM
I tried different products did not get good results,I went back to Liquid glass,and had the best results plus swirlies gone at the same time:)

txkent
04-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I had the same problem when I first used NXT - same as you. Just put on another THIN coat, let it dry -- I think 45 minutes might be a bit too long - then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. Be very careful with a rotary buffer, as you can burn the hell out of your paint.

jawz101
04-02-2006, 03:54 PM
My dad has another trick for oxidized paint. 1st wash car then soak it in diesel, yep- I said diesel fuel. Let it sit for an hr or so then wash off and buff. Works pretty well but you're working w/ a car w/o clearcoat anyways so it doesn't shine up like one with clearcoat.

duhtroll
04-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Does Liquid Glass last? I am almost out of my NXT Gen and will try something different - this might be it but need to know if it'll hold up as long.

NXT Gen - if I do several coats - can last months and still be bright with good beading.

I tried different products did not get good results,I went back to Liquid glass,and had the best results plus swirlies gone at the same time:)

MarauderMark
04-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I likes da sound of dis thread

jabird56
04-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I use McGuire's Classic, as you can see it does a pretty good job.

magindat
04-03-2006, 09:22 AM

I think gramps used liquid glass. That stuff's been around forever.

...and the deisel fuel trick works, but kerosene is clear without the yellow/orangish tinge of diesel.

03MERCMARAUDER
04-03-2006, 10:09 AM
I had the same problem when I first used NXT - same as you. Just put on another THIN coat, let it dry -- I think 45 minutes might be a bit too long - then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. Be very careful with a rotary buffer, as you can burn the hell out of your paint.

Only way you will burn your paint is if you you use a multi speed polisher. You cant burn the paint with a rotary orbital buffer.

Joe