PDA

View Full Version : Oil & Trans sender pictures (LOGAN)

darebren
04-26-2003, 06:22 AM
these look like the oil sender bungs the stock is shown in the middle and below it looks like a plugged bung i could take the screw out and use the oil temp sender. Also pictured is what might be the trans screw that canbe taken out and a trans temp sender can be used.

I think I can just swap the oem oil pressure sender with the one from autometer, and splice into the oem sender wire.

anyone seen this before, logan has, hope he drops by.

darebren
04-26-2003, 06:23 AM
trans bung right above the rubber sleeve???

cyclone03
04-26-2003, 07:04 AM
Wow never seen the oil pressure sender THAT close!Yup thats the oil pressure sender in the first pic.
I don't know if thats the spot for the trans temp gauge.

darebren
04-26-2003, 10:38 AM
okay, i swapped the sending unites and kept the stock oil pressure guage. the guage now moves a little, it goes between 50 and 65 psi or so...i wonder if I swapped the guages for the autometer guage, it would respond quicker and be more accurate? I don't think the oem guage is good for anything really..

RF Overlord
04-26-2003, 10:48 AM
dare:

You HAVE to swap both the sender and the gauge...neither the stock sender nor the stock gauge is real...they have to be changed as a pair.

WolfeBros
04-26-2003, 01:01 PM
^^^What RF said ^^^
The stock gauge is not a measurement instrument.
If you have more than 6.5 psi it will read 65 lbs pressure.
If you just ground the sending unit wire......it will read 65 lbs pressure.

Do not use the OEM sender with anything but the OEM gauge.

The Autometer oil gauge comes with the right sending unit...use it. The autometer sender is a variable resistance unit that changes with pressure. The OEM sender is an off/on type of indication. It just goes to ground after the engine shows above 6.5 psi.

Logan
04-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Yes, that bung you shot a pic of in the second pic is indeed the plug you remove. Just plug your tranny temp sender in there. Don't worry about leakage, you'll only get a couple dribbles when you pull that bung out.

When I first did it, I was prepared for a shower... :)

darebren
04-26-2003, 05:57 PM
yep, had to swap both the sending unit and the guage for the oil pressure. it works and looks great. now I need to do the volts too so they match. Its close, but not exact match. Stock guage numerals light up, autometer guage is more backlit.

martyo
04-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Logan (or others): How much of a pain is it to snake the wireing for the trans temp gage from the sender up to the console?

joflewbyu2
04-26-2003, 06:11 PM
darebren, please part numbers and detailed instructions. i want the oil pressure gauge to work. TIA

CRUZTAKER
04-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by martyo
Logan (or others): How much of a pain is it to snake the wiring for the trans temp gage from the sender up to the console?
^^^what he said...?^^^

darebren
04-27-2003, 05:15 AM
Jeg's online. look for autometer ultra-lite guages number 4327 part number for oil pressure kit, and 4391 for voltmeter. Get some midline snap tie in connectors from the local auto store so you can tie into the wires on the back of the guages. on mine, the white wire with red strip was the sender wire. just tie into it when you put the new sender and guage in. the other wires are pretty easy to figure out when you get the guages out.

Logan
04-27-2003, 07:13 AM
For the tranny temp sender, I just drilled a 1/2" hole into the tranny tunnel and used the rubber edge gaurd included with the gauge to thread the wire down into the tranny tunnel. Much easier than trying to route it through the firewall.

martyo
04-27-2003, 08:16 AM
Logan: I know your car is gone (but not forgotten) but do you have pics or a description of where on the tranny tunnel you drilled (I want to do this mod, but am nervous I will drill into a vital organ!)?

Logan
04-27-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't have pics, but can describe it, as I had the same fears too... :)

I pulled the carpet back from the drivers floor. I drilled the hole where the floor meets the tunnel, parallel to the gauge cluster. It's about a foot back from the gas pedal.

Easiest way is just to get underneath and find a nice unobstructed spot to drill, whack it with a punch and hammer and find it on the interior, or vice-versa...

martyo
04-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks Logan! That's just the info that I wanted!!