PDA

View Full Version : Vortech and Methanol

2ndMDRebel
04-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I've been looking around for some ideas on what to do next on my car and am interested in the methanol injection method of intercooling. Your website details the Vortech/methanol kits for the 05+ Mustangs and I was wondering if this same thing could be applied to a similarly powered "Marauder" setup. Also, if somewhere down the road a little shot of nitrous were to be added are the two systems compatible?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

snowbird
04-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I've been looking around for some ideas on what to do next on my car and am interested in the methanol injection method of intercooling. Your website details the Vortech/methanol kits for the 05+ Mustangs and I was wondering if this same thing could be applied to a similarly powered "Marauder" setup. Also, if somewhere down the road a little shot of nitrous were to be added are the two systems compatible?

I am using a Snow methanol kit but for octane control only since 91 octane is what's is available where i live. I guess it also have some kind of benefits on the cooling side of the equation but still consider myself in the experimenting stage. You can also play with the mix pourcentage of methanol and water to focus on your goal be it intercooling or octane control or hp raise. Google research on methanol could give you more answers.

O's Fan Rich
04-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Sorry, this is lidio's forum.

Mad4Macs
04-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Sorry, this is lidio's forum.

Lidio's web page is where he got the info on the setup. Alternative Auto has been modding the new 'Stangs with a Vortech/Alcohol combination.

;)

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/05mustang_vortech-alcohol.html

O's Fan Rich
04-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah, but I posted something from a competitor. Not fair to Lidio on his forum.

MarauderMark
04-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Lidio's web page is where he got the info on the setup. Alternative Auto has been modding the new 'Stangs with a Vortech/Alcohol combination.

;)

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/05mustang_vortech-alcohol.html
I never knew this.Well know i'll be checkin out that whole site.Thanks:up:

MI2QWK4U
04-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Just so you know, Lidio and I will be adapting this method for application to my Marauder. There are a couple of things that we want to hammer out before jumping in and getting it done. He wants to do a Marauder, and is confident that it will be a tremendous help to my setup. This will be custom since there are no Marauder specific kits out there, but after he does this with my Marauder, the mold will be set and there is no reason he couldnt duplicate the effort. This would result in a Marauder specific setup that would be usable on a trilogy car, NA car, and possibly a vortec or procharger car. I dont see any reason that it wouldnt work on all setups. Stay tuned for more as Lidio gets it done.

O's Fan Rich
04-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Just so you know, Lidio and I will be adapting this method for application to my Marauder. There are a couple of things that we want to hammer out before jumping in and getting it done. He wants to do a Marauder, and is confident that it will be a tremendous help to my setup. This will be custom since there are no Marauder specific kits out there, but after he does this with my Marauder, the mold will be set and there is no reason he couldnt duplicate the effort. This would result in a Marauder specific setup that would be usable on a trilogy car, NA car, and possibly a vortec or procharger car. I dont see any reason that it wouldnt work on all setups. Stay tuned for more as Lidio gets it done.

I want to know about this for sure.

MarauderMark
04-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Good.Thanks for the info and please keep us updated..

Lidio
04-08-2006, 05:31 PM

I'm becoming very hooked on pure Methanol injection these days. I've now got it installed on my Vortech equipped 2005 Automatic Mustang GT, My 2004 32V Automatic Mach-1 and will be installing it on my 1988 Mustang LX coupe very soon ( also T-trim Vortech equipped 400cu in Windsor ).
On my 05 GT, the Methanol injection is very responsible for what it does at the 1/4 mile and at the rear wheels on the dyno. I hit the 3-valve in my 05 GT with almost 14psi of non-intercooled Vortech boost and squirt a pretty substantial amount of Meth into it at WOT when the revs get just over 3K at about 3psi of boost.
By using pure Methanol and no other forms of injection in this system. Its allowing me to make a tad under 500 RWHP at only 13.5psi of boost through two cats, two resonators, two mufflers and the automatic trans and also large plus heavy 20" wheels with big 315 tires on the rims.

I'm absolutely in love with the stuff. Like I said, I'm not injecting any else right now but pure "VP Fuels" Methanol. Because the stuff is combustible, it requires the tune to be very properly adjusted around the stuff when its spraying into the motor at the quantities I do. The methanol itself is not what makes the extra power as some might think. It just really cools the intake charge and acts as a huge octane booster.
So if you take full advantage of it like I like to do by running higher boost levels as you would with race fuel or inter-cooling or running more aggressive spark curves as you once again would with race fuels and/or inter-cooling then it really starts to pay off. You can get nice improvements with methanol on even milder set ups, but I like to get more out of it because you can, and in the long run its much cheaper then running pure race fuel depending on the application and I feel on centrifugal cars it can be more effective then an inter-cooler but certainly an improvement on top of an inter-cooler too.

On my 04 Mach-1 I run a 2.2L Kenne Bell screw type blower and I injected the Methanol after the inter-cooler to try no to let the meth get heated up by the blower as it would if I'd set it up to squirt it in before the blower. In retrospect I think it would have been better off, or as effective by spraying it into the blower rather then wasting the time and parts it took to blow it in post blower. I say this because we've already installed a couple of meth kits on ‘03-‘04 K.B. and whipple equipped blower cars and got some serious results simply spraying the meth in just before the throttle body ( which make for a easier install ). At this time on my Mach-1 I'm running pure Turbo-Blue race fuel, 20psi of boost and a meth kit. This set-up makes just over 635 RWHP through an automatic, shorty headers and 2.5" exhaust that’s very quite because of two resonators and two mufflers. I’m also hitting it with a 50 shot of NOS before the blower which bumped the 635 up to 670RWHP. I'm finding that with the Turbo blue fuel and meth together on this car... I may have grossly over octane’d the motor if you can believe that. The reason I say this is because it wouldn’t start to make real power until I ran the A/F at about 11.8 to 12.2…. Normally I would run this car at about 10.5 to 10.9 at WOT with out the Meth. But because its already intercooled and then dump even more cooler, denser inlet charge because of the Meth I simply feel that it may be to much or simply needs to be leaned on more with the tune.
But Meth and NOS can all be easily mixed as long as the A/F and the timing are right. My goal with the Mach-1 was to make a very safe 625 to 650 with meth and with NOS 700+ RWHP which I know it will do soon. Once it made about 670 with the NOS I quit messing with it on the dyno and decided to wait till this spring so I could data log and monitor the inlet temps and A/F in the real world as it went down the 1/4. The dyno just doesn’t stress it long and hard enough because of how much power it makes and how quick it makes the pull in only 3rd gear (1 to 1). So in November I rapped it up and stored it so that soon this spring I can pick up where I left off in the tune at the track.

I’m hoping to do a Trilogy equipped MM as MI2QWK4U mentioned and I feel the results will be equal to or more impressive then running pure race fuel.

Thanks

O's Fan Rich
04-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I'd like to see a meth set up for a 50/50 mix for the street. My main concern is running a good 93 octane tune, then getting some poor grade fuel. So, I suupose I'm looking for a safety buffer rather than a huge HP jump for the strip.
Possible?

2ndMDRebel
04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
In my application would the water-air intercooler (or aftercooler????) still be needed or would it be removed? I read on the SVT site that they rob a small amount of boost pressure , so wouldn't removing it and just going with the methanol for cooling be enough or is it better to hang on to it as the cooler the air charge is the better and maybe for safety sake? My goal, if you could call it that, is to have the methanol and increase boost pressure to around 12-13psi or so.

Do you need a Vortech equipped guinea pig? ;)

Lidio
04-12-2006, 07:56 PM
I'd like to see a meth set up for a 50/50 mix for the street. My main concern is running a good 93 octane tune, then getting some poor grade fuel. So, I suupose I'm looking for a safety buffer rather than a huge HP jump for the strip.
Possible?

I'm sure you can use it in a milder application with a 50/50 mix of water for a small octane bump. Its just that it has a ton of potential and I like to take better advantage of it.

Lidio
04-12-2006, 07:59 PM
In my application would the water-air intercooler (or aftercooler????) still be needed or would it be removed? I read on the SVT site that they rob a small amount of boost pressure , so wouldn't removing it and just going with the methanol for cooling be enough or is it better to hang on to it as the cooler the air charge is the better and maybe for safety sake? My goal, if you could call it that, is to have the methanol and increase boost pressure to around 12-13psi or so.

Do you need a Vortech equipped guinea pig? ;)

I would definitely not remove the existing intercooler. I'd bump up the boost a good amount as you mentioned and really step it up, especially if you run the methanol straight. I'd go for a minimum of 15-16psi.

Thanks

O's Fan Rich
04-13-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm sure you can use it in a milder application with a 50/50 mix of water for a small octane bump. Its just that it has a ton of potential and I like to take better advantage of it.
I'm going to wait for your results and whatever package you might come up with before I order. But I want to have a meth kit when I install #132. Meaning I want to do both at the same time.