PDA

View Full Version : 2 Newbie Questions regarding N/A & RWHP Mods

Mezclador
04-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I'm seeing guys relating installs of s/c and n/a. The dumb question is what is n/a, it's cost, hp gains, and ads/ disads over s/c?

Second is does anyone know what kind of gains can be made through cai, chip and 4:10's? Does the install of a cai necesitate modifying the exhaust? I was under the impression that the car has to breathe out the new air its breathing in.

Dumb questions? I hope not. I'll find out when I show up to my first CAM meet and see how I'm welcomed. I try to limit the seemingly ignorant posts to the CAM forum because I don't think the MM world at large wants to hear the same questions over and over from newbies. But on the other hand, with the lack of Marauder inventory out there, there is probably an attrition to newbies at all!

Don't flame me! Gimme the confidence to spend the loot wisely and get my car where I want it to be. I've only put 40 (very enjoyable) miles on it so far other than the 850 mile trip it made coming from IL.

SergntMac
04-09-2006, 06:55 AM
S/C means supercharged, an aftermarket option. N/A stands for naturally aspirated, which is the way the car comes from the factory.

Commodore Crap
04-09-2006, 07:47 AM
you dont have to upgrade the exhaust with the addition of a CAI. even with a forced induction apllication ( S/C) you dont need to upgrade the exhaust, but it is highly recommended. The exhaust is capable of handle quite the load. after all, it is dual 3".

fastblackmerc
04-09-2006, 08:08 AM
The exhaust is capable of handle quite the load. after all, it is dual 3".
Deosn't the exhaust go from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2 " to the 3" resonators? Upgrading the exhaust to an x-pipe and continous 2 1/5" from front to back (except the resonators) will get you an increase of about 20-30hp per previous posts.

Commodore Crap
04-09-2006, 10:43 AM
this is true. im still working on the numbers game with the marauder. sorry. its kinda hard when my baby is 500 miles away, and i cant even look at it. :-(
-ryan

Bluerauder
04-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Dumb questions? I hope not. I'll find out when I show up to my first CAM meet and see how I'm welcomed.
Mezclador .... have you seen the thread regarding the 30 April CAM Meet? Come on out and meet the gang. I think you'll find the CAMers to be a great group of folks. Look forward to meeting you. :up:

BillyGman
04-09-2006, 03:23 PM
To add to what MAC told you, N/A (naturally Aspirated) means, no forced induction ("Forced Induction" meaning Supercharging, Turbocharging, or Nitrous oxide injection). And you can leave the exhaust stock if you want. The biggest restrictions in the factory Marauder exhaust are probably the four restrictive cats ( catalytic converters) the exhaust manifolds, and the short section of the muffler pipes that actually necks down to 2".

Before I supercharged my Marauder, I received a .50 second reduction in quartermile ET's with just a chip and 4.10 gears alone. Nothing that's going to give you rocketship like acceleration, but it was a slight difference. Certainly worth the several hundred bucks it will cost you. It's really all a matter of how fast you want to go, and how much money you want to spend. The more money you have the faster you will make your Marauder.

I know that's no great revealation, but I think that sometimes in our quest for speed and G-force, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that you'll only get what you pay for. Don't expect to spend a few hundred bucks, and find that when you jump in your car and take it out for a romp, that it's going to feel like a whole different car when you hit the loud pedal. Aint gonna happen. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I'm merely suggesting that you keep your expectations realistic rather than lofty, unless you're planning on spending some big bucks like some of us have.

jstevens
04-09-2006, 03:30 PM
The best thing you can do is put in a chip/cold air intake/4.10 gears.
I was really happy with this combination.