PDA

View Full Version : Snow tire life

rayjay
04-10-2006, 05:36 AM
It looks like spring is here to stay. I put the OEMs on yesterday. My rear WinterForce snows are basically toast after two winter seasons. I could probably get a few more miles out of them, but don't want to take any chances with my baby. The fronts are in real nice shape. I'll be putting studded snows on the rear for next season, should work much better getting into/out of my driveway.

metroplex
04-10-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm wearing out the front snow tires on my Vic faster than the rear. I think I'll get around 8000 miles max out of the snow tires. After that, the snow tread wear bars will show themselves and the rest of the tread is only rated for all-season use.

RF Overlord
04-10-2006, 06:23 AM
rayjay, snow tire life is very variable. The tread compound is very soft and doesn't stand up well on dry pavement, so if you had only minimal or widely separated snows each season, then 2 seasons sounds about right. If you had more or less continuous snow cover, you'd get more life out of them.

jdando
04-10-2006, 09:56 AM
I just pulled off my snows. The rears look good for another season (this will be their third, I got them used) and the fronts look perfect. I am very pleased with the winter performance, ride quality and lack of road noise with these tires. I have the Hankook IceBear W300 in 18 inch diameter size.

I did drive very gingerly with these tires. No burnouts and traction control on all the time.

jeremy

rayjay
04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
rayjay, snow tire life is very variable. The tread compound is very soft and doesn't stand up well on dry pavement, so if you had only minimal or widely separated snows each season, then 2 seasons sounds about right. If you had more or less continuous snow cover, you'd get more life out of them.
Yea, we had one of those winters where we had a lot of thaws. We ended up as average snowfall wise, but it didn't pile up as it normally does. 1st time I did not have to shovel roofs in many years. I think the studded tires will serve me better going up hills around here. Less slippage will mean longer tire life. My wifes two year old snows still look new, but her car is FWD.

Tom Doan
04-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Dear Gang, I bought the snow tire and wheel package from Ray the Dealer and they won't fit over my Wilwood brakes, They are Goodyear Arriva's and the size is 225/16 . I think they are rated a "5" in all catagories and a "4" on ice with new rims, correct lug nuts and Merc wheel covers all new and never mounted on the car. I wish I could show you the wild tread pattern they have, I was iching to try them on the wifes car but they are in Maryland and I am in ShangHai till Monday, I payied 975.00 total with shipping and will give one of you a sweeet deal before they go to E-bay. Tom micrometrics@gmail.com