PDA

View Full Version : Tire Size question

merc
04-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I have a question about ABS and potential tire size problems. I am looking to purchase a set of BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW-2 (285/60VR18 RF) to put them on widen rims for full time play. I already have a track solution, but looking for a summer radial without triggering the Brake and ABS lights on the dash. What are your thoughts?

Breadfan
04-10-2006, 01:15 PM
60 series on a 285 width is a pretty steep sidewall...looks like you'll be about 10% taller than stock. That sounds like it could be an ABS issue.

Do they make that width in a 45 series? You'll only be about 1-2% off (in the other direction) at that point...

That's why 295/45's are nice, they're just about spot on...but you need to get Nitto streets or Goodyear F1's I believe to get that size.

Are you going for a different final drive ratio or want to stay near stock diameter?

RoyLPita
04-10-2006, 01:16 PM
They are too tall. the speedo would be 5.5 MPH slower. 295/45-18 would be within the correct tire height.

SergntMac
04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree with all posted, 285/60-18 would cause ABS alarms, and you can kick the ABS system in the shins all day with steel toe boots before it snifs back a weep of complaint. OTOH, Traction Control is the real cry baby, be blessed you don't have it...

magindat
04-11-2006, 05:28 AM
7% is usually the magic number for ABS. Your first choice is beyond that. The other suggestions here would be within range. The speedo/final drive tire size issues can be corrected with tuning, although if you stay below the 7% those issues won't be significant anyways.

RoyLPita
04-12-2006, 07:53 AM
7% is usually the magic number for ABS. Your first choice is beyond that. The other suggestions here would be within range. The speedo/final drive tire size issues can be corrected with tuning, although if you stay below the 7% those issues won't be significant anyways.

I wonder what the percentage would be if one would all front sized tires on their MM?

merc
04-12-2006, 08:14 AM
The Nitto NT 555's (Non-drag radial) looks like the most cost effective tire for highway duty. Discount tires sells the 295/45/18 for $207.00 each including free shipping.

magindat
04-12-2006, 09:14 AM
I wonder what the percentage would be if one would all front sized tires on their MM?

5% in revs per mile. Why would you want to? Cheat the final gear ratio? It wouldn't look right for me. I think the rauder needs to keep it's rake to stay a rauder.

RoyLPita
04-12-2006, 09:41 AM
5% in revs per mile. Why would you want to? Cheat the final gear ratio? It wouldn't look right for me. I think the rauder needs to keep it's rake to stay a rauder.

If rear factory tires continue to be in scarce supply with no other tire maker to make them, I might have to.

Breadfan
04-12-2006, 11:27 AM
The Nitto NT 555's (Non-drag radial) looks like the most cost effective tire for highway duty. Discount tires sells the 295/45/18 for $207.00 each including free shipping.

Yup, if widening, thats the tire I'd get. I hear they wear nice and handle good too - much better than stockers.

David Morton
04-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Well I have my opinions about the guy that claims a tire wears better and handles better. There's no such thing as fire and ice in the same tire. Better wear means less traction and vice-versa, all other things being equal, like size, pressure, etc.

I don't like the KDW2. I am selling mine and going back to the KDWS.

Let us know how it comes out. I'm not too sure about a 60 profile handling well but it is on the rear where there's less weight. My guess it's gonna oversteer.