PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear

Chuck Miller
04-10-2006, 07:59 PM
I am having a problem with my front tires wearing out on the inside, had the car alligned afer the first set went down to the wires. Now the second set is going the same way after 15k. Is this the norm on my Marauder. Back tires I understand but they are still in great shape.

Thanks for any input

Chuck

fastblackmerc
04-10-2006, 08:28 PM
I am having a problem with my front tires wearing out on the inside, had the car alligned afer the first set went down to the wires. Now the second set is going the same way after 15k. Is this the norm on my Marauder. Back tires I understand but they are still in great shape.

Thanks for any input

Chuck
Unfortunately it is the "norm" when you use the factory specs. Search this web site for "alignment" and and you'll find this from our very own Carfixer:

"The inside edge wear of the front tires is caused by 2 things: negative camber and negative toe (toe out). Caster is not a tire wearing angle. The outside edge wear can be caused by excessive toe in and aggressive cornering.

Factory camber spec is -.5 degrees +or- .75 degrees
Factory toe spec is -.15 degrees +or- .20 degrees
(BTW, this info came from their website which is updated periodically and may differ from previously published material, such as cd's and paper manuals)

That means your alignment could have -1.25 degrees of camber and toe out of -.35 degrees and still be in the "green". This will wipe out the inside edges in <20K miles IMO.

All of the MM's I've aligned (about 10) had at least -1.0 degrees of camber and always toe out of -.10 degrees or more from the factory. That's why almost all MM's you see have excessive inside edge tire wear.

For best tire wear, here is what I use on all MM alignments:
Camber: 0 to -.3 degrees.*
Toe: Zero degrees.
Caster: 5-6.5 degrees positive with .3 degree lead on the right side.

*Camber can affect cornering feel. The more negative camber you have, the better it will handle corners. Most drivers will never feel the difference, especially on the street."

I just had my MM's adjusted to theses specs at NTB to fix the front insuide wear. Their system had the "wrong factory specs".

Go Mifuni
04-11-2006, 10:30 AM

Thanks for any input

Chuck
I had the same problem. Check out this link. On the second page, scroll down and you can see my tires. I just recently took off my snows and will be getting my front end alligned to these new specs.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24154&page=2

Chuck Miller
04-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try NTB with your information then fit the new tires.

Chuck

oldtimer
04-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I just got new oem front tires for my mm, they both say "install this side in" do they all say that ?

dwasson
04-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I just got new oem front tires for my mm, they both say "install this side in" do they all say that ?

Now I gotta get under the car. :lol:

Marauderjack
04-14-2006, 03:19 AM
All BFG's do....and most performance tires are unidirectional!!:beer:

Finally got my "Fatties" out back!!!:bows: :burnout:

Marauderjack:D