PDA

View Full Version : Got a question....

Stormin Norman
04-11-2006, 08:54 PM
I am in the process of pulling my axels to check for bearing wear. My warranty will be up soon and the dealer refuses to do this under the warr. without any symptoms. Any how, back to my question, how do you remove the springs that retain the side gears, without ruining them?

Norm

DarthMarauder
04-11-2006, 09:34 PM
I wouldnt do this someone here will chime in with what you need to tell the dealer but if you really want to do it I can tell you exactly what to do since I just replace my bearings with the repair kit to relocate new bearings on Thurs. Mine was out of warrenty so I had to repair these myself so I just did the repair kit if you want info on this post and I'll tell you what I did. Really wish I had batteries Thurs I would of took pics. It is alot of work to just look and put it back together so someone tell him what to tell the dealership as far as noise. Plus you will have to replace the fluid and if they are bad, they may say something about you opening it up to look. Then if you have to replace them yourself you just added some more fluid and it starts to add up just looking around.

warren
04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Norm,
Took mine to a Cobra, Ford dealer.
They had special equipment to listen to the rear.
They do most of the security, police, and HP cars in area.
The sound was a very, very slight moaning in the rear that I told them about. They checked it right away.
Replaced with new axles, bearings etc. (a special kit for this) No chg.
It happened alot to the CV's. so they are used to checking.
I would go back and work with Ser. Mgr. or see the FORD DEALER
that does the local police cars.
I would not do it myself.
While it is apart you could have 4.10's put in. for extra cost.
I did not because they wanted $500 to install. I found a local
diff. expert for much less that did it in 1hr.

Warren

Stormin Norman
04-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Warren, thanks for the idea of going to a cobra or interceptor dealer. I already have the calipers off, speed sensors removed, and rear cover plate off and the unit drained. If I can't figure it out then I'll button it up and find someone to check it out before the 23rd.

Norm

2003DOHC
04-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Warren, thanks for the idea of going to a cobra or interceptor dealer. I already have the calipers off, speed sensors removed, and rear cover plate off and the unit drained. If I can't figure it out then I'll button it up and find someone to check it out before the 23rd.

Norm

You have a P.M.

DarthMarauder
04-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Well if you are to there take off your rotors make sure your ABS sensors are out in the rear, I'm going to assume those are the speed sensors you talked about. Once you do that you may have to turn the axle to get your studs to line up to where they arent hitting the emergency brake then you should be able to push it in far enough to slide off the C-clip in the diff. If you cant push them in you have to remove the pin in the diff. if you turn it you will see a small bolt that goes towards the drivers side if you remove that the large pin should slide out then you can slide the axles in and that will give you access to the C-clips. Once you remove the C-clips you can slide out the axles then once you get them out if they are bad they will look like the pic I have attached. Install is opposite of removal. The bad area is the pitted area that looks like a lathe was taken to it thats what the bearings do to it.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85 84&d=1139357907

pantheroc
04-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Well if you are to there take off your rotors make sure your ABS sensors are out in the rear, I'm going to assume those are the speed sensors you talked about. Once you do that you may have to turn the axle to get your studs to line up to where they arent hitting the emergency brake then you should be able to push it in far enough to slide off the C-clip in the diff. If you cant push them in you have to remove the pin in the diff. if you turn it you will see a small bolt that goes towards the drivers side if you remove that the large pin should slide out then you can slide the axles in and that will give you access to the C-clips. Once you remove the C-clips you can slide out the axles then once you get them out if they are bad they will look like the pic I have attached. Install is opposite of removal. The bad area is the pitted area that looks like a lathe was taken to it thats what the bearings do to it.

I assume to re-assemble per above, there is no need to replace any consumable parts/seals etc. if one were careful? (except for fluid and pumpkin gasket)

DarthMarauder
04-13-2006, 03:23 PM
If he is going to take it up to the dealer if something is wrong I would do just the fluid and your diff cover gasket maker. Just use black RTV gasket maker for the Diff cover. I was just posting direction for axle removal at where he was out now and reinstall to get back there do whatever you did to get to that point how ever you did in the first place. If you are going to fix the axle yourself there is another option thats a little less costly then new axles its a bearing relocater kit, its called a bearing repair kits at the auto parts store. If you get that you have to pull the bearing and seal and that kit will take the place of both of those and will be one piece. If you want the part # of it I can look for the box seeing as I just did this. But thats up to you cause I'd hate for you to have to put it together and your dealer not cover it and then you have to do it all over again.

DISCLAIMER THE KIT ABOVE DOES NOT TOTALLY SOLVE THE PROBLEM JUST EXTENDS THE TIME BEFORE YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE AXLES. I DID THIS CAUSE I'M OUT OF WARRENTY AND HAD TO REPAIR IT MYSELF AND DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY FOR THE TSB KIT YET. FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD YOU CAN GET ANOTHER 30000-50000 MILES OUT OF YOUR AXLES WITH THEM BEFORE AXLE REPLACEMENT WILL BE NESSESSARY(sp?) BUT BY THEN I'M HOPING TO BE PUTING IN MOSLERS 31 SPLINE AND A NEW DIFF.