PDA

View Full Version : Lidio Tune VS. Stock

KillJoy
04-15-2006, 11:57 AM
I had my car dyno'd today. The Lidio Tune improved HP by 13.3HP and TQ by 17.5ft-lbs.

Definate improvement over stock, and the Transmission Shift Points make the car sooooo much better in daily driving around town.

KillJoy

Fourth Horseman
04-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Yup, in my opinion it's worth it just for the transmission shifting. The power addition is a nice bonus, but it's the operation of the trans that really made me happy.

ckadiddle
04-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Glad you are enjoying the new tune. Money well spent.

jstevens
04-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Me too. The transmission shift was worth it alone.

SergntMac
04-15-2006, 03:47 PM
It doesn't matter who's tune you're driving on, you have to remember something about dyno testing in general.

A dyno test will provide you with peak performance numbers, i.e. overall improvements in HP and TQ. It will also provide you with Air/Fuel data through the RPM spectrum, which is likewise critical for proper tuning. Hopefully, this dyno included wideband AF O2 data. A tail pipe sniffer is less accurate, but better than nothing, I agree. So, I am suggesting that it's best to remember that dyno testing falls short in two important areas.

First, SAE adjusted peak dyno numbers do not tell the whole story. Picking up 15-20 HP, or, pounds of torque at the rear wheels is good, but it also very important to see where in your powerband this power comes on.

Torque moves the car and our MMs are known for being weak in torque in the lower RPMs, so, gaining 15 HP and 15 TQ at the wheels at 3000 RPM is much more valuable than seeing it accrue to peak gains at the end of the pull.

Anyone doing "before/after" mod testing also needs to do some lay-overs with previous dyno charts, and note any change in the curve. Better yet, ask for a row/column printout. It's boring, but it reduces guessing.

Second, it's in the nature of a dyno test that your dyno performance is shy of your actual performance in the real world. The car is not fighting wind resistance, grasping for traction, or, "pulling it's own weight" in traffic. What you see from a dyno test, is on the "perfect" side of things. Ideal, but not realistic.

Therefore, what looks like a nominal gain in a power curve, can be really impressive in your "seat-of-the-pants". Any 15/15 RWHP/RWTQ gain on a dyno chart can be more like a 25/25 gain on a race track, follow me?

OTOH, watching other stuff on a dyno, such as your fuel pressure, is very important data to collect. To see how your AFR flexes, and when, is very important to know, and it doesn't matter if you're on a dyno, or, a race track. Everyone runs lean in WOT, everyone. It's "how lean and for how long" that saves your engine from detonation, and destruction.

Dyno testing tells only one side of the performance story. It's a tuning tool, not a software race track. Great stuff in tuning and dicing up mod performance, yes. But, I've seen too many owners with high dyno stats get the snit kicked out of them in a street race, or, at the race track, and just because they don't know dyno numbers are static and cannot predict dynamic race performance. Best know the difference, eh?

Since we're newly into trivia, here's somthing cool to think about...

What single mod do many of us purchase, install, and praise for it's overall seat-of-the-pants improvement and race track performance, yet it will not show one horsepower, or, one pound of torque gain on a dyno?

Think now...It's all over our pages.

MI2QWK4U
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Since we're newly into trivia, here's somthing cool to think about...

What single mod do many of us purchase, install, and praise for it's overall seat-of-the-pants improvement and race track performance,yet it will not show one horsepower, or, one pound of torque gain on a dyno?

I don't know Mac....you thinkin' a fifth of scotch?

Bootlegger
04-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Just guessing, I'd say gears..

jstevens
04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing CAI?

DEFYANT
04-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I wonder what Lidio could do with Lisas mini van? :D

TooManyFords
04-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I don't know Mac....you thinkin' a fifth of scotch?

If it was you and I said this about you I would have gotten another 3 day vacation... But, seeing you're a Mod...

Shrug...

MI2QWK4U
04-15-2006, 05:37 PM
If it was you and I said this about you I would have gotten another 3 day vacation... But, seeing you're a Mod...

Shrug...

Once again John you are looking far to deep into it for some hidden dark side. I was refering to sharing a couple of drinks with your buds, makes the car feel faster after a hearty round of bench racing. I thought Mac was being philisophical. You should lighten up, its a car forum, not world politics!

TooManyFords
04-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey, I was being light hearted the other day too Dave but your skin must be a lot thinner than the rest and I got the boot.

You should really practice what you preach...

Daily 03
04-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I agree with Bootlegger. I also say gears.

MI2QWK4U
04-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey, I was being light hearted the other day too Dave but your skin must be a lot thinner than the rest and I got the boot.

You should really practice what you preach...

Sounds like you need to get over it. I never pestered or dogged Logan when I got vacations in the past, so lay off me.

KillJoy
04-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Damn guys! Quit B*****N in my thread!

I don't care who did what to who, but here is not the place to discuss it.

This thread is about Stock VS Custom (Lidio in this case) tuning.

KillJoy

jgc61sr2002
04-15-2006, 05:52 PM
I agree with Bootlegger. I also say gears.

I agree. What they said^^^^^^^

jawz101
04-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Well, Pro Guards are a craze that won't show anything on the dyno

mpearce
04-15-2006, 07:12 PM
What single mod do many of us purchase, install, and praise for it's overall seat-of-the-pants improvement and race track performance, yet it will not show one horsepower, or, one pound of torque gain on a dyno?

The torque converter. As far as I know, on one hand, this single mod gives you the best, and most aggressive seat of the pants feeling, while on the other hand, yields absolutely no gain in peak HP or torque numbers at all.

Mine goes gets done in 4 weeks.

-Mat

Bradley G
04-16-2006, 12:56 AM
I thought it was both gears and a torque converter that will yield better acceleration, yet no improvement on dyno #'s.

SergntMac
04-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Those who answered torque converter are correct. The PI Stallion TC delivers significant improvement in performance, without showing any performance gains on a dyno.

To those who treated it as a serious brain teaser, thank you.

STLR FN
04-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Yup, in my opinion it's worth it just for the transmission shifting. The power addition is a nice bonus, but it's the operation of the trans that really made me happy.I'll second this thought. :beer:

MM2004
04-16-2006, 03:23 PM

I would bet purchasing a SS Impala or a GT Mustang would give you that feeling, so I have heard,...

Mike.

Zack
04-16-2006, 07:48 PM
I think shaving 7 pounds off the rotating mass will free up a little power.
No one has ever done before and after dynos to prove it.

mpearce
04-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I think shaving 7 pounds off the rotating mass will free up a little power.
No one has ever done before and after dynos to prove it.

The stock converter is 11.25" or something correct? The P.I. converters are 9.5"? Do you know the weight of the stock t/c v.s. the weight of the P.I.? I'm guessing the 7lbs is the difference between the 2, just curious what the total weight of each are.

-Mat

SergntMac
04-17-2006, 04:16 AM
No one has ever done before and after dynos to prove it. I have, back in '02 with MM #1 before I bought the KB #1x. NADA, zip, zilch zero change in dyno performance, less than 5 RWHP and 5 RWTQ, and I tend to ignore such low numbers. However, it cut .5 off my ET at 'DaGrove before I sold the car. The dyno graphs went with the car.

Zack, you just sold your OEM TC, what was the shipping weight? It's been a long time, but as I recall it, the difference in weight between the Stallion and the OEM was 20 some pounds. OTOH, I can't recall if I drained it first, or, not.

Anyone got an OEM TC laying around the could toss on a bathroom scale?

jawz101
04-17-2006, 01:21 PM
I like my answer. It's clever:D