PDA

View Full Version : Nos 100 shot dry

jstevens
04-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Well, I've got my Nos and man I am one happy camper.

I'm posting this in the Alternative Auto section as Lidio and his crew are the best. Install is very clean. Performance is awesome. Also went ahead with the drive shaft exchange to eliminate high speed vibrations.

Bottle is mounted where the spare tire goes. Had the blow off put out of the trunk, bottle heater.

Have only tested it alittle at my private track. Going to try to make it to Milan this Saturday. Should be fun launching with stock rubber.

MikesMerc
04-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Glad you like it so far. I kind of knew you would :D

Jay (at Lidio's shop) did my NOS install and it was super clean as well. Attention to detail always wins the day.

Keep me posted on track results. I'll double check my schedule, but if I'm free, maybe I can swing to the track if you'd like some company.

bigslim
04-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Way to go John. I guess I can't be messing around with you anymore. It will be nice to see what she'll do.

Rider90
04-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I have a 12lb or 15lb bottle in my front seat waiting for installation as we speak! Of course It's not for MY car, Way to go jstevens!

mpearce
04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, I've got my Nos and man I am one happy camper.

I'm posting this in the Alternative Auto section as Lidio and his crew are the best. Install is very clean. Performance is awesome. Also went ahead with the drive shaft exchange to eliminate high speed vibrations.

Bottle is mounted where the spare tire goes. Had the blow off put out of the trunk, bottle heater.

Have only tested it alittle at my private track. Going to try to make it to Milan this Saturday. Should be fun launching with stock rubber.

Good luck at Milan John. I'm very curious as to what times you'll be running with that new set up. I just can't believe the amount of torque you're putting to the pavement. Thats more than a lot of supercharged guys. Does anyone know why the NOS ups the torque number so drastically? I'm just curious.

John...can't wait to see your set up. Heather and I will be up 3rd week in May. See you then.

-Mat

Mike M
04-18-2006, 10:09 PM
I will be very interested with your E.T. and even more with your M.P.H.

jstevens
04-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I just hope I can get the tires to stick.

SergntMac
04-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Curious...Are you adding a 100 pound shot of NOS to a stock Marauder engine? Or, are there other details I have missed?

MikesMerc
04-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know why the NOS ups the torque number so drastically?

Tough question to answer quickly, but here goes (I borrowed some language):

First we need to know how torque and horsepower differ.

The word horsepower as it relates to machines, was defined by James Watt, the inventor of the steam engine in about 1775. Watt learned that "a strong horse could lift 150 pounds a height of 220 feet in 1 minute." So imagine a horse raising coal out of a coal mine. A horse exerting one horsepower could raise 220 pounds of coal one foot every minute. One horsepower is also expressed as 550 pounds one foot in one second, or 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute. These are just different ways of saying the same thing.

Given the above, say you have a horse hitched to a plow. In the hitch is a spring scale (like a fish scale). The horse pulls the plow one foot every second and while he is pulling it you see 550 pounds on the scale. That would be one horsepower.

However there is a problem directly measuring horsepower of modern day internal combustion engines because they produce rotary motion, not linear motion. And unless the engine is geared down, the speed at which they do work (RPM) is too great for practical direct measurement of horsepower. It seems logical then that the solution was to directly measure torque (rotational force eventually expressed in pounds at one foot radius) and RPM (time and distance, i.e. distance in circumference at the one foot radius) and from these calculate horsepower. Torque and RPM are easily measured directly.

Torque, therefore, is a true measure of power.

Horsepower is really just a measure of torque over time.

Torque is physically measured while horsepower is calculated.

Okay, now why does Nitrous produce what seems to be more torque than horsepower? Simply stated, nitrous provides a HUGE boost in the combustion process by introducing more ALOT more oxygen to burn. Nitrous builds HUGE gains in the mid range as it does not rely on head flow very much.

When the nitrous is injected into an engine and the initial combustion takes place, it creates enough heat to separate the nitrous oxide into its two components, nitrogen and oxygen. Once separated, the additional oxygen is then free to react with additional fuel. This results in more power.

As rpms build, head flow characteristics come into play, as do the reciprocating forces of the motor. These things mask the extent to which additional power is being made.

Another way of saying it is that nitrous produces huge physical gains in the amount of work the motor can do. But, as head flow limits come into play, torque begins to drop, as it does on all motors. Because nitrous is so powerful it makes the mid rpm range look huge, while the top end falls off due to flow rates.

Whew. Hope that helps:)

bryanthomas
04-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Curious...Are you adding a 100 pound shot of NOS to a stock Marauder engine? Or, are there other details I have missed?

I'm curious about this as well. :)

Fast4Door
04-20-2006, 07:44 PM

A "100 Shot" of NOS gets it's name from the estimated add to the horsepower number. Stock Marauders seem to do around 250 HP on Lidio's dyno, so it sounds about right to me.

As for the "big" jump in torque, I'd have to take a look at the curve to see where it comes in at. Also, I don't know how Lidio has set up the tune with the NOS. I'm sure he is taking out some spark, and if the amount of retard goes up with RPM, I could see where the HP number may look low compared to the torque he's getting.

Maybe we could get a look at the dyno graph? Maybe Lid could comment on the tune?

Either way, it looks like one fun ride!

MikesMerc
04-21-2006, 05:12 AM
NOS almost always produces more torque gains. Nothing out of the norm with John's numbers at all.

As for engine mods, John's motor is indeed otherwise stock. Of course, John can comment himself on the other mods he has made.

The bottom line is that torque numbers more accurately predict acceleration...especially at the track. With what John is making, he is gonna come damn close to alot of blower cars.

If I had to guess, I'd say this is a conservative tune as well. Lidio usually bakes in quite a bit of cushion. As long as the fuel delviery is strong, I'm sure john has a potent yet safe set up.

jstevens
04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Mike, you are correct in all that you said.

I believe this is very safe. This is my daily driver and if I break it my wife will kick my you know what.

Other forums say a V8 can safely handle 125-175. Therefore, I believe 100 should be a walk in the park. I also research the heck out of anything I do.

bryanthomas
04-21-2006, 04:40 PM
:2thumbs: Sounds good! Keep us posted on your future track runs! Who knows, maybe I'll stop by The Motor City and have Lidio set me up with some laughing gas!
:laugh:

mpearce
04-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Mike...thanks for the write up on the HP v.s. TQ. I'm just amazed at the TQ numbers from a dry 100 shot.

John...on a decent dray day...welcome to the high 12's.

-Mat

jstevens
04-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks Mat, maybe with a little practice.

Went to Milan today, they were running some stupid elimination's crap so I only got in 2 runs. One which is not worthy of speaking about. Test and Tune was gonna start later but I had dinner plans with the wife.

So, usually I run 14.5 on a good day to 14.8/9 on a humid bad day.
Today was a little humid, I think about 72 degrees out.

Reation time .1301, 60ft 2.0307, 1/4 mile 13.772/99.33 trap speed.

bigslim
04-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks Mat, maybe with a little practice.

Went to Milan today, they were running some stupid elimination's crap so I only got in 2 runs. One which is not worthy of speaking about. Test and Tune was gonna start later but I had dinner plans with the wife.

So, usually I run 14.5 on a good day to 14.8/9 on a humid bad day.
Today was a little humid, I think about 72 degrees out.

Reation time .1301, 60ft 2.0307, 1/4 mile 13.772/99.33 trap speed.
13.77 is not bad. With some more runs and a little practice I am sure that you will do better.

mpearce
04-22-2006, 05:45 PM
John

Nice job for having only 1 solid run. With your street radials, a well prepped track is paramount. I've learned that the hard way myself. Your times will improve with practice, and better traction. Either that, or get yourself the widened wheels, and some drag radials. I'm coming to town soon...and I'd really like to check out your set up.

-Mat

jstevens
06-14-2006, 04:24 AM
Matt,
Looking forward to seeing you.
With practice I ran a 13.06.

John

MarauderMark
06-14-2006, 06:46 AM
Good to hear about another bad a$$ Marauder on the streets Congrats.Nice numbers too.:up:

Smokie
06-14-2006, 06:52 AM
I just hope I can get the tires to stick.

If your Nitrous is setup to engage at WOT, walk it out. Carfixer ran a 12.6 on street tires 125 wet shot....practice, practice, practice.

Bigdough
02-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but any updates on the condition/daily driveability of the car? I'm looking to throw some juice on my Marauder since the supercharger kit is 10Xs as much. Im curious to know how the car is holding up. I dont want to reduce driveability too much. Thanks.

Pops
02-13-2007, 12:55 PM
I am also considering a bottle on my GM. Any input would help. Thanks

MarauderMark
02-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Give J a pm.:D

max454
02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
ditto also

Hack Goby
02-14-2007, 11:28 AM
I beleve John has sold his car.

superford3
02-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I am also considering a bottle on my GM. Any input would help. Thanks
go with a wet kit if your going with spray ,its much safer for you and your motor also buy a rpm window switch