PDA

View Full Version : Moonroof ???

ct_marauder
09-16-2002, 05:14 AM
Hi there fellow marauder fans !!! In talking to my local dealership this weekend on a marauder he told me that the moonroof option is going to make the body less rigid and stiff and may cause the frame to twist - kinda like a car with T-Tops. Is this true???

I don't think so - I think this guy just wanted me to by the marauder he has their now - reason why I say this is because in talking to him on it he told me that they would put in a aftermarket moonroof in it for me for $500.00

I am going to wait for the factory installed moonroof before I purchase my marauder.

Does anyone have any Pro's/Con's on getting the moonroof option?

Thanks In Advance,

ct_marauder :)

Logan
09-16-2002, 05:25 AM
He's smoking crack.

The moonroof option will be available for ordering on December 2nd.

03 Merc
09-16-2002, 07:00 AM
CT,

This is purely opinion...but it is how I view it..

The pro of getting a moon roof is if you use it can be nice... But I have never opened mine enough to make it worth it..I think my wife's Mountaineer has been opened twice maybe..

The con is added weight, added cost ($800+??), less head room, you will lose the overhead console (Handy sunglass holder ,if you use it), added complexity and load to the electrical system.. wind noise, and maybe water leaks if you keep it long enough...the salesmans reasons are bogus though..that would the least of my concerns..

BTW, I would look for a different salesman / dealer if that guy was dumb enough to tell you it would cause problems and then offer to put in a aftermarket kit...

My opinion is slanted by I am fortunate enough to have my LTD for top down cruising... so I won't be looking for one on any car / SUV I buy..

ct_marauder
09-16-2002, 07:27 AM
:)

Thanks Logan for the the Dec 2 date for the moonroof option.

The salesman IS SMOKIN CRACK !!!!

I think I knew more about the car than he did - And I'll admit I'm not an expert at it yet - but I will be.

Wayne thanks for your opinons on the moonroof option a well. I really do want the moonroof - I am giving up a car with T-tops to get a marauder.

Thanks again guys,

Keep up the great work.

ct_marauder

JamesHecker
09-17-2002, 01:01 AM
When the moonroof option is available I hope to order the revised OEM roof console and have an aftermarket installed with it. I get a lot of use out of a moonroof but just could not wait for it before I got my car!

Brian
09-18-2002, 04:52 PM
Agree that your salesman is smoking crack.

Moonroof installations typically have very little affect on body torsional stiffness. Since Marauder is body-on-frame, the resultant overall stiffness change is not worth discussing.

T-top will have an impact on stiffness, but that is not the case here.

By the way, with Marauder Factory moonroof, you do indeed loose the full size overhead console, but in it's place you get a mini-console that is VERY similar to that found in a 2003 Town Car. Go to a Lincoln dealer and look at the mini-console in a Town Car with Moon Roof. With the exception of the intrusion sensors at the back corners of the mini-console, that is what you will get. Nice looking console, but you do give up the sunglasses storage.

If you get an aftermarket roof, you also have to deal with whatever fit and finish issues that are caused by removing the headliner from the car AFTER it has been glued in at the factory. Headliners are glued to the roof panel. If the dealer puts in an aftermarket, they have to remove that glued joint. Aftermarket companies do it all the time, but the fit and finish may or may not be what you get from a factory job.

By the way - Moonroof is one of the highest items on my personal "must have" options list. I've had 13 new vehicles over the past 13 years and only 2 have not had moonroof. I hated driving in those. Even living in Michigan, I have it open every drive for ~10 months of the year. My rule of thumb is that if it is not raining, snowing, and sitll above ~30 degrees, the roof is open. It's all a matter of personal preference. Some people don't use them at all.

MAD-3R
09-18-2002, 05:07 PM
I know that one. At 6'3", I don't fit in most cars with Sun Roofs

BISHOPSS95
09-18-2002, 07:04 PM
I have a full size moon roof in my 2000 F150 supercab. When it opens I have about 3" to spare to the rear of the cab. They can do anything with a truck because of no roll over protection. It is a Ford so am I still in line with the thread? I use it all the time. Never seen one in a Cheby. SSers use the Caty roof. Could yall use the town car's?

JamesHecker
09-18-2002, 10:53 PM
I had an aftermarket installed in my 97 Cougar and have been very happy with it. I'll have the same folks ( American Sunroof ) do the Marauder. I hope they do as good a job on this one. There is sooo much headroom in the Marauder for my 5'10" frame that I wont be troubled by a liitle less!

Thanks for the "heads" up on the Town car console. I'll go check it out.