PDA

View Full Version : Polishers

PJR
04-23-2006, 08:17 AM
What polishers have you guys had good results with? I'm looking for one that won't take a long time to learn. I'm tired of hand waxing/polishing and getting swirl marks on the black. Also, those of you who have experience, what pad/cleaner/wax have you had good results with? Any suggestions are appreciated.

blackf0rk
04-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Any compound will work (depends on your choice). I have found that using S100 cleanser and then their S100 wax works great at removing the swirl. The cleanser is the key :)

Other than that, I'm looking into Poor Boys SSR stuff - I belong to a detail forum and the majorty of them recommend that stuff.

SergntMac
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Well, the Porter-Cable oribital swept through here like wildfire, just like Zanio and Mobile 1. It's the official buffer of the MM.Net, and if you suggest anything else, may as well dye your hair red, and head for the curb.

Here's my favorite, I use it with the Meguires cleaner wax in the tan bottle (#6 I think) Does a damn nice job if it too...
http://www.goemerchant1.com/index.cgi?PageToView=catalog&Department=74898&Cartid=22721117662496&Merchant=detailking&ExpandedDepts=

jdando
04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Porter-Cable and Zaino here.:coolman:

Eric91Z
04-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Porter cable with Sonus SFX-1 and 2 for swirl marks and scuffs and Zaino for my polish. Also want to try some P21S carnuba wax on top of the Zaino for that final "pop" - especially on the wife's black car once I give it the full treatment.

pantheroc
04-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Are you using 100% cotton? I've heard polyester threads and loops can cause swirls/scratches. Any truth to this?

Eric91Z
04-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Are you using 100% cotton? I've heard polyester threads and loops can cause swirls/scratches. Any truth to this?

I use either 100% Made in the USA cotton or microfiber towels. After using the mocrofiber towels for the first time a couple weeks ago on my 10 hour detailing of the car, I have decided I want more and will eventually replace all my wash, dry, and detailing towels with these.

Here is a good site that I recommend for information and products:

http://autopia.org/

No affiliation and there are a lot of other suppliers and places for information, but the stuff I have gotten from here and the information from his articles and the forums are a good source for detailing.

shakes_26
04-23-2006, 08:56 PM
I switched to the Porter cable orbital and use 4 Star products and some Meguiars as well.

As for the wax and wax like products (sealers), really any quality product will work well when applied correctly. As for the Porter Cable its swept through here because its a quality product. For me, the fact it doesn't vibrate the hell out my hands, is easy to hold with a good balance, allows me to apply a better more uniform coat of product, were all the reasons I needed to go with it.

Of course you can hand apply hand buff out your wax, takes longer, and depending on the person may result in a good finish or frustration. :mad:

I'm not aware of any other true contenders out there, and I dont count the two handle (or D handle) random orbital, plastic housing, $19.99, Autozone special, a contender. :confused:

So where shall I send the hair dye? ;)

[quote=SergntMac]Well, the Porter-Cable oribital swept through here like wildfire, just like Zanio and Mobile 1. It's the official buffer of the MM.Net, and if you suggest anything else, may as well dye your hair red, and head for the curb.

SergntMac
04-24-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm not aware of any other true contenders out there, and I dont count the two handle (or D handle) random orbital, plastic housing, $19.99, Autozone special, a contender. The link is in my post.

shakes_26
04-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Oops, missed the link, it was late I was tired. Looks like a quality piece... as it should for that price.

So you've used this dual pad piece of kit with good results?

The link is in my post.

SergntMac
04-24-2006, 07:07 AM
So you've used this dual pad piece of kit with good results? Excellent results. The buff pads rotate in towards each other which allows the buffer to "walk" itself across horizontal surfaces, with one handed steering control. Easy to manipulate over vertical surfaces too, it has a metal case but is surprizingly light. You cannot burn paint or clearcoat with this buffer. I tried, and when I could not (I mean not without pouring sand on the paint first), I replaced my Porter-Cable with the Cyclo.

PJR
04-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the information. I need to place an order, so I'll be ready for a day of detailing!

Big House
04-25-2006, 07:11 AM
I like the little know Dri, Wash and Guard, with great success. My receipe for success:

1. Clay Bar wash...meaning I wash my car using a clay bar like I would with towel. I use the soapy water a the lube for the clay bar. It works great.

2. Rinse and dry with Microfiber towels (will never use cotton again)

3. Seal and polish with Dri, Wash, and Guard.

Ozz
04-25-2006, 09:37 AM
I have used a 10" WEN Random-Orbital (plastic housing...) waxer for ten years, 3 coats on 3 cars, twice a year with out any problems. I use Meguiars Crystal System (3 steps) on my Marauder and two old Mustangs (one with clear coat, one without). They all turn out great.

I like it that the RO will never burn the paint. I would be afraid that a straight polisher would be a disaster in my inexperienced hands.