PDA

View Full Version : W-I-D-E-S-T MM Rims ever!

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Here they are:

http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/tubbed/img/widerim-1.jpg

http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/tubbed/img/widerim-2.jpg

http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/tubbed/img/widerim-3.jpg

http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/tubbed/img/widerim-4.jpg

Another two weeks and these will be on the car!

Anyone wanting this done to theirs, PM me for details.

Cheers!

john

Joe Walsh
04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
UFB!!!!

+140MM Offset Marauder rims!!!

I cannot wait to see those mounted on your MM.

You'll have to post photos of the frame rails and rear shocks to show how it all fits.

Rick-n-Miami
04-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I could use these :)

Rider90
04-23-2006, 11:57 AM
That is awesome. Goes with your plate, too.

snowbird
04-23-2006, 12:04 PM
John,

Wow !! I hope Iowa earth's crust won't rip apart ! :)

Tallboy
04-23-2006, 12:06 PM
OH MY GOD!!!

HwyCruiser
04-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Wow, that's effin' crazy. Tire width envy anyone? :eek:

John, any issues with mounting balancing those bad boys?

Joe Walsh
04-23-2006, 12:12 PM

They make Nitto P305 drag radials look like bicycle tires!!!

martyo
04-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Can you come steam roll my driveway?

I am going to hide L/K far far away from you!

MarauderTJA
04-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Damm John, are you trying to say,

Size Matters!

I hope you have 88 spline axles:eek: You must be tubbing your car.

BK_GrandMarquis
04-23-2006, 12:43 PM
That's just insane.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm still sitting here in awe.:awe: :awe: :awe:

TechHeavy
04-23-2006, 12:54 PM
That is... more than I can find words for. I think I'm gonna cry. I need to know how this project turns out and the complete recipe. :)
It aggravates me to no end that I must feather my launch at the track... and tenths of seconds lost. I want to just punch it and hook. If I'll need a stronger d/s then so be it...

Please keep us updated. That is incredible! You rock!:beer:

Mike M
04-23-2006, 01:11 PM
A ProStreet Marauder would be so cool.
The rims look great!

Agent M79
04-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Yabba Dabba Doo!

"Hey Fred."

"Yeah Barn?"

"Doze are wide tires, Fred."

"Wilma's mother's mouth is bigger! A-HEH A-HEH-HEH-HEH"

[laughtrack]

[ceiling fan bird rolls eyes and says:] "It's a living"

Mad4Macs
04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
MAMMA THE BAD MAN SCARED ME!!!

What else to say? Holy bejeebers, now go out and shame a Viper!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Zack
04-23-2006, 01:58 PM
The ride to Ohio is gonna be one for the books.

Logan
04-23-2006, 02:00 PM
That's insane.

STLR FN
04-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Is that it? :rolleyes: Thought they would be bigger. Sheesh. :lol:
Otherwise dem der bad boys gonna make animals think twice bout crossin roads.

rayjay
04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
TOO COOL :rasta: am I in the ball park that you are relocating the shock mount position?

BK_GrandMarquis
04-23-2006, 02:28 PM
TOO COOL :rasta: am I in the ball park that you are relocating the shock mount position?

He probably relocated everything back there.:lol:

supa_carrot
04-23-2006, 02:42 PM
WOW!! How many inches wide are those things. You must be making some serious horse power to turn those things over.

Agent M79
04-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah yeah, but how big are the rears? :coolman:

SergntMac
04-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Well...So much for automatic car washes...

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone! This is an ambitious project to be sure.

The axle is not being narrowed so I could use my MM rims and have it look somewhat normal from the side. Those are 29x18x18 tires so they are only a smidgen taller than factory.

We're taking the body off the frame to make it easier to chop the frame. It will be cut just after the body mount in front of the rear tire and just before the rear body mount behind the tire. It will move in about 8" towards the center. The frame mount above the axle will get sectioned in the center to take out 16 inches and welded back together. The control arms go in the scrap pile and we're using ladder bars on the outside edge of the airbags. The watts link arms are being replaced with steel tubes with heim joints on the ends to make it easier to center the axle. The airbag mounts on the axle will be moved right next to the center section and the tubes will be welded to it as well for strength. The back seat doesn't have to be moved, but we will be using a plasma cutter to cut a big U shape and move the bottom towards the front of the car a couple inches. Behind the axle, we're also notching the trunk area and moving the gas tank back 10" and re-covering it in factory trim. I'll have to move the Nos bottle but it will just give me 10 more inches of shelf space under the sub woofer to put a pair of them up there. That and worrying about drilling into the gas tank goes away. Shocks will be mounted behind the airbags up to the modified frame section. And no, they will not be factory shocks either. Probably have to call QA1 on these custom units.

In the process, we're lowering it 2" all the way around so it will have that "in the weeds" look. Even the air leveler is going to work. When I want to run it at the track, I can pick out almost any size racing slick on a 15-in Weld wheel (with correct backspacing of course) and know it won't hit a shock or a control arm.

Yeah, they look huge but there will be over 40" between them when mounted. Plenty of room for air bags, ladder bars, shocks and dual exhaust.

The custom paint job happens when all the tubbing is done and the hood cut for the blower. That will get its own thread!

If you want to be present when the body and frame are separated, let me know and we'll make a weekend of it. Racing at the track, drinking a few cold ones while my welder Mark goes to town.

Cheers!

john

I'll keep snapping pictures as this build progresses.

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Can you come steam roll my driveway?

I am going to hide L/K far far away from you!

As a personal friend, I think L/K could use this same treatment. PM me and we'll talk.

;)

John

pantheroc
04-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Not knowing a whole lot about widened wheels, just my thoughts about stresses at the hub area of the rim would scare me. Or am I a wuss?

BK_GrandMarquis
04-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Maybe it's just me but if and when you get those wheels moving:bows: and they hook up, I can see several other pieces breaking.:eek: :lol:

RoyLPita
04-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Keep us posted on your progress, please. :popcorn:

BillyGman
04-23-2006, 04:26 PM
WOW John!!!! I guess you've been brainstorming all winter, uh? That sounds like quite a project!! This is intriguing to say the least! Keep us updated. I'm wondering if you're staying with the EFI or going carbureted.

Jerry Barnes
04-23-2006, 04:37 PM
Oh My God!

cyclone03
04-23-2006, 05:11 PM
DAYUM those are some big weenies....

But tell me about the Mustang hiding in plain site...

the_pack_rat
04-23-2006, 05:12 PM

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90 30&d=1145837474

Tallboy
04-23-2006, 05:19 PM

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90 30&d=1145837474

Nice one, Eric. One my favorites, along with "By-the-by, Magnum..." :)

Big House
04-23-2006, 05:19 PM
But I have one question though...Will the surface of the wheel be strong enough to the support the latteral weight distributed across the width of the wheel. I would think the wheel mounting surface would be in the middle of the wheel, supporting and distributing the weight across the wheel.

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Not knowing a whole lot about widened wheels, just my thoughts about stresses at the hub area of the rim would scare me. Or am I a wuss?

If they break, they break and I get something stronger!

Wuss is a little strong too, I think...

:lol:

John

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Maybe it's just me but if and when you get those wheels moving:bows: and they hook up, I can see several other pieces breaking.:eek: :lol:

I'm taking all sorts of precautions; Welded axle tubes, Auburn ECTED Posi (if I ever get it... still MIA), Moser 31 spline axles, Shiny hiney and cap bolt.

If there is a weak link in there I'll find it here close to home this time. :D

Cheers!

john

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:34 PM
WOW John!!!! I guess you've been brainstorming all winter, uh? That sounds like quite a project!! This is intriguing to say the least! Keep us updated. I'm wondering if you're staying with the EFI or going carbureted.

We spoke briefly before about this and I have not forgotten. Tubbing a Marauder is really not all that difficult. And you bet I'll keep everyone posted.

As for the EFI or carb question, I'll have a b!tch'n bling-bling answer for you early next week. I got to get it assembled before taking some pictures.

:D :banana: :D

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Well...So much for automatic car washes...

:LOL:

I hear ya!

John

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:37 PM
DAYUM those are some big weenies....

But tell me about the Mustang hiding in plain site...
It's a 67 coupe with a 514 385-series big block and a toploader 4-speed. Didn't think anyone would even see the mustang hiding! LOL!

John

Warpath
04-23-2006, 05:37 PM

Yes, it puts a lot more stress in the hub and spokes of the wheels. It also puts a lot more strain on the axle bearings. But, the axle can be beefed up. I understand some guys are putting 9" axle tubes on 8.8" axles to use the larger, stronger 9" bearings.

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:38 PM
That is awesome. Goes with your plate, too.

Thanks! Just got the new tags too!

john

Warpath
If they break, they break and I get something stronger!

Wuss is a little strong too, I think...

:lol:

John

I hope I'm not in the lane next to you when you find out.

TooManyFords
OH MY GOD!!!

You get first ride at MVIV Chuck!

;)

john

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:41 PM

John, any issues with mounting balancing those bad boys?

LOL! Nothing a plasma cutter and some serious welding won't cure! Balancing? Um, yeah, working on that one.... We may have to go to seriously old-school bubble balancing if the local speed shop doesn't have that on-car balancing system. That or a short cruise to Cedar Rapids or Des Moines to a shop that does.

:D

john

HwyCruiser
04-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Poo poo and get some bigger brakes!

When's the tubbing party? I might have some business in Iowa pretty soon.

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:44 PM
That is... more than I can find words for. I think I'm gonna cry. I need to know how this project turns out and the complete recipe. :)
It aggravates me to no end that I must feather my launch at the track... and tenths of seconds lost. I want to just punch it and hook. If I'll need a stronger d/s then so be it...

Please keep us updated. That is incredible! You rock!:beer:

In case anyone has missed it, I've got a website (LINK HERE (http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder/engine2006)) that is documenting this transformation. I've got more videos (of us mounting the tires!) and more pictures of the new engine parts still to post but it is mostly documented since the old motor went bye-bye.

If you want this done, PM me!

John

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 05:51 PM
The ride to Ohio is gonna be one for the books.

Looking forward to it too. As it is, I -may- just miss the WCF in St. Louis now that the blower is yet another week behind schedule. The car gets tubbed on the 5th of May, the new blower is due that week too and I will still have to get it tuned before the 18th. It will be damn close but I'll not sacrifice just to make a show. There will be many more shows and meets once this project is completed.

BTW, I might need a special badgeless grill for this... Can I get it with all ruby red crystals in it?

Cheers!

john

Marauder2005
04-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Here they are:

Cheers!

john

Very Sexy :)

MarauderTJA
04-23-2006, 05:57 PM
John, you have master-minded one impressive project. The first ProStreet Marauder in the country. You will be killing any car up against you at any car show with your ride. Hope you can make it to St Louis. I am trying to work it out to go there. I cannot wait to see it completed....:D

bryanthomas
04-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Here they are:

Cheers!

john

Insane... I will admit when I first read of you wanting to do this I was alittle skeptical about the out come. The first thing that popped in my head was "PRo street Marauder... why not just buy new wheels?" But now that I see these I totally get it. This is going to be sweet. So what goal are you shooting for ET wise?

TooManyFords
04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Insane... I will admit when I first read of you wanting to do this I was alittle skeptical about the out come. The first thing that popped in my head was "PRo street Marauder... why not just buy new wheels?" But now that I see these I totally get it. This is going to be sweet. So what goal are you shooting for ET wise?

I've been on pins and needles since starting this myself, I'll be honest! But once the motor blew and I decided to really go overboard on the engine I just had to go all the way!

ET? What's an ET?!? :D Seriously, I'm shooting for cruising this bad boy all over these wonderful United States and meeting all the MM clubs! If I never drive it down the 1320 again it would be fine with me. I know, I know... y'all will never let me have a moment of peace until I do so I will run it down my local track a couple times just to make sure it doesn't break. Then, if I'm really happy about it I'll just have to show everyone at MVIV.

Cheers!

John

MarauderTJA
04-23-2006, 06:25 PM
y'all will never let me have a moment of peace until I do so I will run it down my local track a couple times just to make sure it doesn't break. Then, if I'm really happy about it I'll just have to show everyone at MVIV.

Cheers!

John

Atta boy John, that is what I wanted to hear:banana2:

BillyGman
04-23-2006, 07:07 PM
John,

the thing that I want to commend you on the most is the fact that you're an open book on these upgrades you're performing to your car, and I admire that about you. It always surprises me when some amatuers (as all of us are) get very tight lipped when you ask them about what they've done to their cars. They like to parade their cars around to show them off (just as all of us like to do) while at the same time, they insist on being so secretive when it comes to answering questions about their cars as if though they're professional racers or something. Kind of a big contradiction if you ask me.

However, you on the other hand, are one of those guys who are willing to answer everyone's questions the best you can. No major secrets. I think that's really cool, and a sign of a true car enthusiast. I appreciate that. :2thumbs:

If there's ever anything I can do to help you even in some small way with this project of yours, then please don't hesitate to write. I look forward to seeing updates of this project of yours. :banana2:

Eric91Z
04-23-2006, 07:23 PM
LOL! Nothing a plasma cutter and some serious welding won't cure! Balancing? Um, yeah, working on that one.... We may have to go to seriously old-school bubble balancing if the local speed shop doesn't have that on-car balancing system. That or a short cruise to Cedar Rapids or Des Moines to a shop that does.

:D

john

John,

If you can't find someone locally to balance, I would recommend Simon Tire in Des Moines. They do excellent work and have the latest Hunter equipment.

BillyGman
04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
John,

If you can't find someone locally to balance, I would recommend Simon Tire in Des Moines. They do excellent work and have the latest Hunter equipment.The Hunter "Roadforce" balacing equipement is tops!! I cannot say enough good things about it. If you ever run into balancing difficulties,( like I did) then the "Roadforce" balancing equipment is the way to go.

bryanthomas
04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Then, if I'm really happy about it I'll just have to show everyone at MVIV.

Cheers!

John

So you are going to bring it to MVIV?! OK, I am DEFINITELY going!!!

David Morton
04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Somebody had a bumper corn crop last year!

Looks like those can handle 1000+ HP. Can you say 8 second Marauder? I hope you're shooting for something in that area cause if you're not it's kinda like teats on a boar hog.

If you're going to this extent, why aren't you using a 9 inch rear end? Plenty of parts around for it, plenty of experience modding it to fit. All that and bullet proof to boot.

BillyGman
04-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I prefer the Dana 60 rear myself. Bigger ring & pinion gears (9.75" diameter ring gear, and a pinion gear shaft diameter of 1.625" as opposed to the 9" ring gear, and the 1.3" diameter pinion shaft of the Ford 9" rear). Both are stronger than the Ford 8.8 rear though. However, if he won't be running slicks on the dragstrip very often, then he might get away with the Ford 8.8

thePunisher
04-24-2006, 03:45 AM
there are plenty of 8 sec cars and trucks running 8s on the 8.8 rear. when built right its super strong! will the car be full weight??? i didnt read any above posts.....

Big House
04-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Billy,

I could not have said it better myself. That truly is the mark of not only an enthusiast, but of a friend. Our goals are the same...go fast and hve fun doing it. Good on ya mate.

Big House
John,

the thing that I want to commend you on the most is the fact that you're an open book on these upgrades you're performing to your car, and I admire that about you. It always surprises me when some amatuers (as all of us are) get very tight lipped when you ask them about what they've done to their cars. They like to parade their cars around to show them off (just as all of us like to do) while at the same time, they insist on being so secretive when it comes to answering questions about their cars as if though they're professional racers or something. Kind of a big contradiction if you ask me.

However, you on the other hand, are one of those guys who are willing to answer everyone's questions the best you can. No major secrets. I think that's really cool, and a sign of a true car enthusiast. I appreciate that. :2thumbs:

If there's ever anything I can do to help you even in some small way with this project of yours, then please don't hesitate to write. I look forward to seeing updates of this project of yours. :banana2:

TooManyFords
04-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Poo poo and get some bigger brakes!

When's the tubbing party? I might have some business in Iowa pretty soon.

It gets done May 5th. You're more than welcome to come on up!

Cheers!

john

TooManyFords
04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Billy, once again I am humbled.

THANK YOU.

John

Zack
04-24-2006, 08:45 AM
BTW, I might need a special badgeless grill for this... Can I get it with all ruby red crystals in it?

Cheers!

john

Do you want a black/chrome or all black?

TooManyFords
04-24-2006, 09:05 AM
What do you think, Zack? I wasn't even sure you could get the reds only so I'm not sure. Would I get into LEO trouble if they sparkled red all the time from the front??

I bow to the master on this one...

John

Zack
04-24-2006, 09:48 AM
What do you think, Zack? I wasn't even sure you could get the reds only so I'm not sure. Would I get into LEO trouble if they sparkled red all the time from the front??

I bow to the master on this one...

John

What ever you want John. Red crystals inset on black would be a lot less noticeable when there is no sun, which is a good thing.
I can get started right away, just get me 2 grills or send me yours.
Post here if you want to do it and I will order the crystals ASAP.

As for the cops, do you really care?

TooManyFords
04-24-2006, 10:00 AM
What ever you want John. Red crystals inset on black would be a lot less noticeable when there is no sun, which is a good thing.
I can get started right away, just get me 2 grills or send me yours.
Post here if you want to do it and I will order the crystals ASAP.

As for the cops, do you really care?

LOL! No! hahaha....

I agree on the red on black... I do want to do it. order them. I'll get the grill out this week and send it off. Can I get a package deal on a rear spoiler too? (crossing fingers!)

John

cyclone03
04-24-2006, 10:09 AM
It's a 67 coupe with a 514 385-series big block and a toploader 4-speed. Didn't think anyone would even see the mustang hiding! LOL!

John

OH That sounds like my kind of fun.Plus your running a real MANS transmission!

BillyGman
04-24-2006, 10:26 AM
OH That sounds like my kind of fun.Plus your running a real MANS transmission!LOL.....yeah, I must admit that I do miss manual transmissions. It's been 2 years since I had a car with a manual stick. But they're just not consistent at the track, and when it comes to real big HP (as in 750+), there's so much more of a variety of beefed up automatic transmissions available than there are manual transmissions. But I agree that it is a whole lot of fun driving a manual on the street. I guess it's a trade off.

I'll be using a TH400 automatic with a full manual valvebody and a ratchet shifter in my Chevelle, but it still won't be the same as having a third pedal.

Zack
04-24-2006, 10:31 AM
LOL! No! hahaha....

I agree on the red on black... I do want to do it. order them. I'll get the grill out this week and send it off. Can I get a package deal on a rear spoiler too? (crossing fingers!)

John

For the right money, I will do anything (But I wont do that :D ) Meat Loaf ;)
Lets see if you can afford my grill first :beer:

MarauderTJA
04-24-2006, 10:38 AM
John,

Ditto Billy. No super secret ninja code with John. Open and informative with his projects from the beginning to the end. And he is always willing to help anyone he can.

TooManyFords
04-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Ditto Billy. No super secret ninja code with John. Open and informative with his projects from the beginning to the end. And he is always willing to help anyone he can.

Thanks. (blush) Again!

MVIV is going to ROCK!

Cheers!

john

TooManyFords
04-24-2006, 10:43 AM
PS : More Pictures coming tonight of additional parts!

jawz101
04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/Marauder/PaintJob/front-sm.jpg
The paint job is going to be appropriate:D I can't wait to see the wheels on.
:popcorn:

cyclone03
04-25-2006, 08:00 AM
LOL.....yeah, I must admit that I do miss manual transmissions. It's been 2 years since I had a car with a manual stick. But they're just not consistent at the track, and when it comes to real big HP (as in 750+), there's so much more of a variety of beefed up automatic transmissions available than there are manual transmissions. But I agree that it is a whole lot of fun driving a manual on the street. I guess it's a trade off.

I'll be using a TH400 automatic with a full manual valvebody and a ratchet shifter in my Chevelle, but it still won't be the same as having a third pedal.

I have to disagree with a manual not being cosistent at the track,in 1985-1987 I ran my 85 Mustang LX,over 200 passes a year.I was very proud of myself because during elemenations I could hold with in .010 from pass to pass,up to 4-6 rounds a weekend. My normal dial was in the 14.90-15.30 range.
My biggest problem was playing "the game" on the top end and being our races started as ealy as noon and sometimes ran into the night I had trouble with red lights.My daytime RT ran in the .510-.505 range the problem was at night you can "see" the lights earlier so I started hitting .502-.498(red) I have 4 time slips with .500 RT's.

The driver makes the consistencey when you race a manual.
It takes a lot of work and practice but racing a stick is not easy,but it can be done and done well,it just takes practice.

BillyGman
04-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I have to disagree with a manual not being cosistent at the track,in 1985-1987 I ran my 85 Mustang LX,over 200 passes a year.I was very proud of myself because during elemenations I could hold with in .010 from pass to pass,up to 4-6 rounds a weekend. My normal dial was in the 14.90-15.30 range.
That's with a high 14 second car. Try running a 10 second car with a manual transmission, and see how easy it is to acheive that same consistency. With a manual transmissioned car, it isn't so much the shifts that stand in the way of consistency, but rather the clutch pedal manipulation during launches. I agree with you that a certain degree of consistency can be acheived with a manual transmission drag car, but it simply takes more runs down the 1320 to get it right.

I think that when you get into the BIG HP numbers with manual transmissions, some guys can end up burning out their clutches trying to acheive consistency. Impossible to acheive? Probably not. But there's very good reason why you hardly ever see the real fast cars at the track with manual transmissions.

EDIT: Hey Cyclone, here's something right up your alley. It's a great piece on Mr. 4 speed himself, who unfortunately just passed away. Enjoy.....

http://www.nhra.com/apcm/templates/news_template.asp?articleid=11 805&zoneid=8

cyclone03
04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the link BillyGMan.Sad another great one dies.

Joe Walsh
04-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear that he passed away.

He is synonomous with incredible gear shifting....

We used to say: "Man you looked like Ronnie Sox with those speed shifts!"

Sorry for the Hijack....Looking forward to more updates on TooManyFords " ProRauder" :banana:

TooManyFords
04-26-2006, 08:03 AM
ProRauder... I like that!

I just got a bunch of parts in again so it's time to update my website.

Anyone know where I can find a shiny IAC block-off plate?

Cheers!

john

Warpath
04-26-2006, 09:07 AM
IAC block off can't be too difficult to fabricate. Anyone with a band saw or jig saw could do it and then polish/chrome it. Just use a new IAC gasket with it. I've never seen one advertised. But, I never looked.

O's Fan Rich
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!
That be cool.