PDA

View Full Version : Do the 05/06 Mustang GT front brakes fit our cars?

juno
04-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know for sure if the 05/06 GT calipers and rotors will fit our cars, particularly the fronts.

fast Ed
04-24-2006, 01:20 PM
They certainly wouldn't be a direct bolt-on. And the rotors are only 0.4" larger in diameter ... probably not worth the trouble.

cheers
Ed N.

SergntMac
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Agreed...With all the options we have today, why bother?

juno
04-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Agreed...With all the options we have today, why bother?

Because I was looking into a very inexpensive source. So please take your hand out of my wallet.:)

Ed,

Thanks, I had been told they were a full 13" but yes, they are only 12.4. :(

fast Ed
04-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Yup, Saleen take-offs are available pretty cheap. Good upgrade for the 05-06 V6 Mustangers. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

RoyLPita
04-25-2006, 07:45 AM
How about upgrading the pads to the ones used on a CVPI?

SergntMac
04-25-2006, 07:50 AM
So please take your hand out of my wallet. No problem, dude, but I can't see how brake components designed for a lighter vehicle could deliver any performance improvements on a heavier car. And, if not improving on brake performance, again, why bother?

If you are dispeased with OEM brake performance, why not throw some high performance pads in there and see what happens? This has to be the least expensive place to start, yes?

juno
04-25-2006, 08:05 AM
I tried some of the carbon/ceramic pads and they are a little better. I believe their brakes are more than slightly better then ours. I was looking at it from the road course side (rotors and pads become very consumable :) )and if the rotor/calipers fit and I could find a cheap source, life is good. I would prefer not to go to the 14" rotors as I want to run 17" wheels, so I was looking for 13' options.

No problem, dude, but I can't see how brake components designed for a lighter vehicle could deliver any performance improvements on a heavier car. And, if not improving on brake performance, again, why bother?

If you are dispeased with OEM brake performance, why not throw some high performance pads in there and see what happens? This has to be the least expensive place to start, yes?

Jon01
04-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Has anyone tried the stuff off of a last generation Cobra?
They had 13" rotors.
The front kits are $400 for calipers, brackets, rotors and pads iirc.

SergntMac
04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I tried some of the carbon/ceramic pads and they are a little better. I believe their brakes are more than slightly better then ours. I was looking at it from the road course side (rotors and pads become very consumable :) )and if the rotor/calipers fit and I could find a cheap source, life is good. I would prefer not to go to the 14" rotors as I want to run 17" wheels, so I was looking for 13' options. Cool! Sounds like a plan, keep us posted?

Jon01...I've been here a while, don't recall any posts mentioning your suggestion. If you try it, please keep us posted too?

Jon01
04-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Cool! Sounds like a plan, keep us posted?

Jon01...I've been here a while, don't recall any posts mentioning your suggestion. If you try it, please keep us posted too?

I've got the calipers and such off of my old Mustang, just gotta tear it apart and try it.
I'm thinking about trying it here this week, if I do I'll post up the outcome.

bigmerc'03
04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
i got my brakes from here http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ fill out the performance part i got the power slotted cryro disc front and back and ebc red stuff pads

94_302
04-27-2006, 02:08 AM
I've got the calipers and such off of my old Mustang, just gotta tear it apart and try it.
I'm thinking about trying it here this week, if I do I'll post up the outcome.

Keep us posted if you try this, I had been thinking the other day, why couldnt we use Mustang brakes, we can use Mustang rims.