PDA

View Full Version : need help with exhaust

jay03merc
04-27-2006, 08:20 PM
ive been reading alot of forums about exhaust i know the long tube kooks kit is prob.the best but i have limited funding.ive read that cobra manifolds will work but what year model cobra manifolds would work best? also some one on here said ford sells something to extend egr tube if so what or what part number to make it work? alos what about the motor mount having to be modified. sorry for all the questions thanks again for all the help.:help:

KillJoy
04-28-2006, 05:27 AM
03-04 Cobra Manifolds.

Not sure about an EGR Extension.

A shim (1/8" I think) needs to be added to the Driver's Side Motor Mount for clearance issues.

KillJoy

Rider90
04-28-2006, 05:33 AM
A shim (1/8" I think) needs to be added to the Driver's Side Motor Mount for clearance issues.

Sounds butch, is that true?

magindat
04-28-2006, 05:37 AM
THe cheapest route is just to go to your local performance muffler shop and have the following done.

1) cut off behind 2nd O2 and remove 2nd cat.
2) Fab 2.5" from cut to muffler.
3) Choose an x-pipe or have a 2" H-pipe put in
4) Mufflers of your choice.
5) Res del tips if you want.

All that should cost you about 500-600 bucks (not couting the cost of the tips)

It's about 1/2 ofthe least expensive 'kit' available. You could purchase just the headers and add them later. This set up will really give you some HP and sound gains.

This recipe came from my muffler shop guy. Me's a lincoln Mark?? driver like DR. I let him do whatever HE thought was best. That's what I left with and I freakin' love it. Low price was just a bonus!

Marauder_Santa
04-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Just had the cobra shorties (manifold) with x pipe installed the other day. All is connected to my Flowmaster 40's. Sounds and performs great. Looking to take a long drive to test the gas milage.

One other inexpensive exaust mod is to just replace the factor muflers with flowmaster 40's $200-300 bucks. sounds great and improves gas milage.

KillJoy
04-28-2006, 06:28 AM
Just had the cobra shorties (manifold)

Did you have Cobra Shortie Headers, or a Factory Cobra Manifold installed?

KillJoy

SergntMac
04-28-2006, 06:32 AM
03-04 Cobra Manifolds. Not sure about an EGR Extension. A shim (1/8" I think) needs to be added to the Driver's Side Motor Mount for clearance issues. KillJoy Not with manifolds, possibly with headers.

Marauder_Santa
04-28-2006, 06:34 AM
I guess the shortie headers. I'm a bit confused on this. I have heard them called headers and called a manifold. The system is sold by Dennis Reinhart.

KillJoy
04-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Headers are Aftermarket Tubed Exhaust thingies.

Manifolds are stock cast-iron exhaust thingies.

:D

DR's are Manifolds.

KillJoy

Marauder_Santa
04-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I have the the Cobra manifold thingies. What ever they are - they sound great - and I'm very happy with them.

TAF
04-28-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I have the the Cobra manifold thingies. What ever they are - they sound great - and I'm very happy with them.

Nope...you now have the Ford Racing Shorty Headers.....installed by the BEST (and pretty good "taxi-service" ta-boot) :coolman:

Marauder_Santa
04-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Well - there it is then. He would know - Todd installed them.

Da best taxi service and da best shop too. Thanks.

STLR FN
04-28-2006, 07:57 AM
03-04 Cobra Manifolds. Not sure about an EGR Extension. A shim (1/8" I think) needs to be added to the Driver's Side Motor Mount for clearance issues. KillJoy

Not with manifolds, possibly with headers.Mac are you reffering to the shim or EGR tube or both. As I have the '03/'04 Cobra manifolds and not the FRPP headers. As I'm under the impression that DR's kit is with the manifolds and he sells the EGR extension and shim with his kits. Correct??

Bigdough
04-28-2006, 01:20 PM
So can I buy just the EGR extension and shim kit or do I have to buy the entire system?

SergntMac
04-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Mac are you reffering to the shim or EGR tube or both. As I have the '03/'04 Cobra manifolds and not the FRPP headers. As I'm under the impression that DR's kit is with the manifolds and he sells the EGR extension and shim with his kits. Correct?? Dennis sells the Cobra manifolds and Kook's headers, and both will come complete with all hardware necessary for a correct and complete install. Shims are not required. I don't know if he offers/carries any spare/replacement parts for these two products.

There are literally more than a dozen manfacturers of "shorty" headers for the Mustang with a 4V DOHC engine, but they are all headers. Some may require shims, some may not, depends on the install. Some may come complete with the correct EGR accessories, some may not, I really don't know.

I do know that the FRP catalogue has six part numbers, meeting a variety of Mustang/engine configurations, therefore, anyone interested in "shorty" headers need to do their homework. Hope this helps, carry on gents.

merc
04-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Nope...you now have the Ford Racing Shorty Headers.....installed by the BEST (and pretty good "taxi-service" ta-boot) :coolman:

I would highly agree with that statement.:bows:

TAF
04-28-2006, 02:01 PM
The Ford Racing Shorty Headers that can be used on a Marauder are

Ford Racing Parts#M-9430-E465 Shorty Headers for 4.6L 4 valve

They do need an EGR extension and the driver's side motor mount needs to be shimmed to fit properly.

http://208.62.69.135/images/9430D465.jpg

I would highly agree with that statement.:bows:

Hey, hey my friend! Lookin' forward to you slidin' into town in a few weeks!!!!!!

SergntMac
04-28-2006, 03:18 PM
The Ford Racing Shorty Headers that can be used on a Marauder are

Ford Racing Parts#M-9430-E465 Shorty Headers for 4.6L 4 valve

They do need an EGR extension and the driver's side motor mount needs to be shimmed to fit properly. Now that's what I call 411

STLR FN
04-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks Mac and Todd for the 411. I sorta knew the answer that both of you gave just wanted some clarification.