PDA

View Full Version : new question

screamdennis
04-30-2003, 03:20 AM
in the 60 s and 70 s alot of muscle cars had ram air with hood scoops , to help gulp fresh air . would a ram air system work on a new fuel injected car? dennis :help: :help: :help: :burnout:

prchrman
04-30-2003, 03:30 AM
I do not know but done right ie low profile mach scoops would look killer...:bounce:

ghost
04-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Sure, you could use a ram-air system on a fuel-injected car. We tested this on an Impala SS but found that the engine air demand was greater than that which the ram-air intake could provide, so there was no benefit to it over a good cold-air intake system. In other words, the ram-air system did not generate positive intake manifold pressures. You need a blower or turbo for that.

A ram-air system is excellent for introducing cold air into the engine though, so you'll still get that benefit, and if it's setup to draw from a hood scoop (rather than an under-car scoop) it'll look awesome! :) The trouble is, where/how do you mount the MAF?

You guys have a MAF, right?

Eric

Warpath
04-30-2003, 09:29 AM
MAF - yes. The Mustang Mach 1 (the new one) has a shaker hood. The air intake path to the engine is rather torturous. It goes from the center of the hood to the front, right of the engine bay and up to the intake. I'm not sure whether all those twists had any affect. Classic Design Concepts here in MI makes an aftermarket shaker hood for Mustangs. They may have one for MMs or you could modify a Mustang one for an MM.

Matt Johnson
04-30-2003, 10:37 AM
I think a shaker hood would look totally cheeseball on the MM.

LincMercLover
04-30-2003, 10:46 AM
^^^I agree^^^

We need something like the Fox body mustangs have for tunnel ram under the car.