PDA

View Full Version : Marauder Tire Choices - Tire Matrix

Breadfan
05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Well...it's done. I've completed my tire research.

The bottom line - about 14 possible Same-Brand/Model tire combinations, 35 size variations within that. (Including OEM)

I spent some time with a tire size calculator and came up with about 13 sizes across the front and rear of the Marauder that will keep speeds relatively in spec.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have any affiliation with any of the websites tires were found. Prices are subject to change, as is availability of tires. This data is current on 5/3/06. All I do is provide information, use it at your own risk, be smart and do research to be sure tire combos are acceptable! This data simply states what size combos are available, it does not assume they will work trouble-free.

You should read this post before proceeding to the link. Link to data is at the end of this post.

Speedometer Error: Since non-OEM sizes are being used, there is chance for speedometer error. This is noted in Table 1, and also noted on Table 3 in the tire combo chart.

Speedometer error refers to the actual speed the car is traveling when the speedometer reads 60mph. So, if error is 60.9, when the speedometer reads 60mph you are really going 60.9mph. If the error is 56.7, when the speedometer reads 60 you are really going 56.7mph.

ABS and T/C Issues: Incorrect tire sizes in the rear can cause errors on the ABS and Traction Control sensors if they are too far out of spec in terms of tire diameter. I do not know the exact threshold. In Table 1 I hinted at whether or not you can expect issues with ABS of T/C. It's just a guess - for a clear answer you can ask the experts here about the size you'd like to run.

As far as I know, T/C issues only occur with rear out of spec. I'm unsure about ABS issues - atleast with rear out of spec, but I don't know if the fronts are too far out of spec if that will affect the ABS sensors. Will update when I learn this info.

Distributors: Of those 13 sizes, I researched available tires across 4 tire distributors:
Tire Rack (http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-1842527-10376890) (Site Sponsor - hyperlink is this site's reffering link)
Discount Tire
TireSavings.com
10 10 TiresTire Types: I was able to find about 170 unique tires. They range from:
Ultra High Performance Summer
Ultra High Performance All Season
High Performance / HP All Season
High Performance Grand Touring
Sport Truck / Sport SUV Ultra High PerformanceI tried to avoid SUV tires that looked to "truck" like. There are a few that have tread patterns very similar to a passenger tire - the difference is they have a higher load rating. Please...it is important you check out how the tires look and see if they are truck tires. You decide if you like them. Also, I may have left out some truck tires, in my opinion nothing of consequence though.

Speed Ratings: You will have to check each tire link to see what the speed rating is. I tried to stick to Z, W, Y, and V ratings. There are a few "H" ratings. An H rated tire that is not an SUV tire should be looked at with a grain of salt. Sure an H rated tire may be within how you drive, but keep in mind the weight of our cars - the extra weight could result in extra heat buildup that a higher rated tire will deal with better. Not saying it won't work - consult the experts to be sure though.

Widened Wheels: Some tire widths require the stock wheels to be widened. Most widened rims are widened 2" to 9.5". I kept the sizes and widening recommendation as follows:
Should be OK on Stock Width
Questionable on Stock Width
Requires Widened Rims
Anything higher will require wider than 9.5"SUMMARY OF RESULTS:

Currently, the only tire available in stock rear size is the BFGoodrich KDWS.

I was able to find 14 possible sets of Tire Brand / Models that work by incorporating different sizes that are close to OEM spec tire diameter.

Inside each set there can be more than one size combination. The table is split up by the 14 sets. All in all, there are 35 possible cominations. Some of these require widened wheels, which is indicated in the chart.

If you don't mind mis-matched sets, there are 170 tires in the main tire chart to choose from. Bear in mind the car may exhibit odd handling characteristics with different brands/models/speed ratings on front to back. For instance, stickier tires in the rear and looser tires up front could result in understeer. Sticky tires up front and cheapos in back could result in oversteer. So, choose with caution. All I do is provide the data.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE MARAUDER TIRE MATRIX: (http://www.neuralimpulse.com/maraudertires.html) http://www.neuralimpulse.com/maraudertires.html

(Table 3 has the matching combos)Due to the text in the tables being too long and difficult to format on the forum editor, I will post images from screenshots in the next post or two. That is why I created the html page to link the data. You will also see the data is available for download in MS Excel format so you can manipulate it as you wish.

Breadfan
05-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Table 1 Screenshot Sample: (From http://www.neuralimpulse.com/maraudertires.html)

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/table1.jpg

Table 2 Screenshot Sample:

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/table2.jpg

Table 3 Screenshot Sample:

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/table3.jpg

Rider90
05-03-2006, 08:20 PM
You rock Breadfan!

Bookmarked :beer:

de minimus
05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Excellent work Breadfan! Thanks for the info.

2ndMDRebel
05-04-2006, 05:46 AM
Stick-worthy information!

duhtroll
05-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks for all the work that went into this.

Of course, get a tuner and change your tire revs/mile, and don't worry about the speedo. :)

-A

Tallboy
05-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Very informative-thanks for all your hard work, Breadfan! :beer:

Breadfan
05-04-2006, 06:11 AM
The one unique tire that I found was the Nexen N3000. Never heard of this tire until yesterday. I did a bit of research, it's a Korean tire manufacturer, much like Khumo.

Some on the 'net have hinted that BMW and Mercedes were using Nexen for OEM tires - I don't believe this, sounds like an Internet exaggeration.

They appear to be decent tires, and a good value for the price. When I searched them on google, I found a number of good reviews, and happy customers. I did NOT find angry people and lawsuits - a good thing, right?

Has anyone had experience with Nexen tires? Look up the N3000, the tread pattern looks neat. They're available in near-OEM sizes, and a fair amount cheaper - about $100 cheaper per full set of 4 compared to one of the more popular choices.

Question is...is it worth the $100?

ckadiddle
05-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Dang that looks like a LOT of work, BF. You must really really love us. :)

SergntMac
05-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Bravo! Nice job!

Hotrauder
05-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Breadfan, Great job. We all appreciate the work and research that went into your project for us. Your work will clarify a very muddy situation and make good choices easier. thanks. Dennis :2thumbs: MODs this should be a sticky, PLEASE. Thanks

STLR FN
05-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Maybe this should be stickied so that it can/will eliminate 70% of the "What tires will fit my Marauder?" questions.

Nahhh that won't happen.

shakes_26
05-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Breadfan rules.

rocknrod
05-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Wow, thats alot of work you put into that.
Thank you. Well done.

Rider90
05-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Breadfan, Great job. We all appreciate the work and research that went into your project for us. Your work will clarify a very muddy situation and make good choices easier. thanks. Dennis :2thumbs: MODs this should be a sticky, PLEASE. Thanks
I'm going to second this whole thing. Thank you again Breadfan.

Breadfan
05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Thank you all. :) Glad I could share the info, hope it remains helpful!

hitchhiker
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Great Information and great job of presenting it!

rayjay
05-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm going to second this whole thing. Thank you again Breadfan.

Third! Nice work and thankyou.