PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Considering KOOKS

scareme
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Went to a very good muffler shop in New Jersey today and asked about the install of the Kooks system, I know many people that have gone here and the guys are good. When I mentioned the Marauder, the mechanic said "what a b*tch those are." He said he's done it before, but was talking roughly 900 for the install. I really don't think of this shop as a place that would stick it ti the customer, but with him being unfamilier with the car he may not know the easiest route to take. I did a search and couldn't find the directions for the install that I could have sworn were posted here a while back. If anyone could help out or lead me to a place in Jersey they know of please do. Thanks in advance.

shakes_26
05-04-2006, 01:41 PM
I've heard of prices between $700-1100, so its right in there. It is a PITA but not impossible on a lift.

Paul T. Casey
05-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Where you at in NJ? Price seems a little steep to me. Figure 6 to 8 hours of labor for the complete kit. You can clean out the headers yourself. No additional parts are necessary. I'd shop it around a little more.

Paul T. Casey
05-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Did a search in the Garage Section. On pg. 3 titled New Kooks Installation Steps by Darebren (pg 3 of the search) are a set of step by step instructions. There's another, better set somewhere here, I'll try to remember where. I think it was from Logan.

scareme
05-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks guys, by the way I'm in Pt. Pleasant (central jersey coast) The place I'm speaking of is in Trenton (not sure if I can say there name here) and when I say these gus are good it's no joke. Thats why I figured if I could get some directions printed out he may take a look at it and learn a few things about the install on these cars. They are the real deal, but I just cant justify 900 for an install that people here have said they've done it in their driveway in 6-8 with handtools. If you locate those directions please let me know.
Thanks again

MADDOG
05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Aloha All,

After doing alot reading here on the forums and the thumbs up from those that have the Kooks header installed in their MM. I ordered my set of Kooks headers. There somewhere in the mail :confused: Just can't wait to get them installed.

I already have super 40's, Bassani x-pipe and delete tips. Kooks headers will make everything roar now......:D

Oh yeah, 4:10 gears and stud girdle just arrived and soon to be installed.....

Blackened300a
05-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I e-mailed Kooks and they said the Long tube Header system installed was $2150, its about $1800 for the kit so thats about $350 for the install. Being that you are from NJ, It may be worth your while to take a trip out to Long Island NY and have then do it for you.

Im saving up for this Mod, It shall be my next big purchase for my Marauder.

MADDOG
05-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Wow,

Well my Kooks headers are installed, all I can say the power and sound is UNF:D :D :DK'N REAL!!! Best mod yet.

DEFYANT
05-18-2006, 06:45 AM
I e-mailed Kooks and they said the Long tube Header system installed was $2150, its about $1800 for the kit so thats about $350 for the install. Being that you are from NJ, It may be worth your while to take a trip out to Long Island NY and have then do it for you.

Im saving up for this Mod, It shall be my next big purchase for my Marauder.

Thats what I did - and I'm in Maryland.

If I was going to pay someone to do this job, I wanted someone who has done it several times over already.

Just get the cooper collector gaskets now, mine just blew out after one year on the car.

BillyGman
06-19-2006, 04:13 AM
I know that I'm arriving a little late in this thread, but just keep in mind that many mufler shops don't want to be bothered with header installlations since that's something that they don't usually perform. In fact, you would likely be better off going to a regular garage that does high performance work. And they might also give you a btter price quote for the work.

I installed the Kooks headers on my Marauder by myself using my brother's lift, and the only part that was extremely difficult was getting the clips on the bolt heads of the Stage 8 brand locking header bolts that I chose to use.

Getting the dipstick tube back in was also tough, but with a little bit of wheel bearing grease smeared on the tube, it eventually slid into place after about a 15 minute wrestling match. And Zack said that he avoided that hassle by loosening the driver's side motor mount and jacking up the engine an inch or two. On the passenger side, the air conditioning compressor has to be loosened so that it can be pushed out of the way until the header is in place ( Do NOT loosen the hoses, but remove the mounting bolts only!) and the starter bolts will need to be removed and the starter rotated to get the header past the solenoid.

But all in all, other than those three things, I was able to get the headers into place fairly easy.