PDA

View Full Version : NC Inspections

sspmustang
05-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone with a Supercharged car has had any issues passing the NC smog testing requirements? I may be relocating to Charlotte area, there are no vehicle inspections here in FL.
Thanx.

Marauderman
05-05-2006, 07:01 AM
I Have sent you a PM regarding this...........Tom

fastblackmerc
05-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Just wondering if anyone with a Supercharged car has had any issues passing the NC smog testing requirements? I may be relocating to Charlotte area, there are no vehicle inspection here in FL.
Thanx.
On newer cars in NC they hook up the computer to their OBD port to see if there are any codes. Also do a visual check for polution equipment, etc. There is a $10.00 charge to check the aftermarket tint on your windows if present.

Butch
05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
My 2004 MM passed with no problems. The Trilogy setup and tune were fine. Clean as a whistle.

sspmustang
05-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Have they waived the safety inspections for the pre-OBD cars?
--Mike

Butch
05-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Have they waived the safety inspections for the pre-OBD cars?
--Mike

Pre ODB still have to have a safety check, and a "visual" emissions check. No sniffer test, but everything that the book says should be there, should be there. Only a big deal if the person actually checks it, or you go through a DMV inspection while on the road. DMV is starting to stop vehicles that don't seem "stock", and checking them out to see if they have all of the required emissions equipment installed.

Marauderman
05-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Pre ODB still have to have a safety check, and a "visual" emissions check. No sniffer test, but everything that the book says should be there, should be there. Only a big deal if the person actually checks it, or you go through a DMV inspection while on the road. DMV is starting to stop vehicles that don't seem "stock", and checking them out to see if they have all of the required emissions equipment installed.

wow --this is a first--when did this start--cause .humm..I could have a problem explaining my "looks"--know what I mean----:lol:

Helpl me out here --Any more 411 on this-=---Thanks ---

Butch
05-06-2006, 06:34 AM
wow --this is a first--when did this start--cause .humm..I could have a problem explaining my "looks"--know what I mean----:lol:

Helpl me out here --Any more 411 on this-=---Thanks ---

Yeah, you look pretty "strange".....

DMV just knows that there will be pre OBD cars "slipping" through the inspection stations without proper equipment, so they will be stopping some of the more suspecious vehicles that probably don't have all of their equipment. Around here, that means catching a lot of the mustangs/camaros that have been "modified", and no longer have their smog pump and/or cats.

Trust me....My 2nd car is a VERY souped up Mustang...I've already been having chats with a DMV insider about problems that I may run into once the sniffer test went away.

This stuff IS checked. My girlfriends 71 Bronco was inspected, and the shop didn't mark on the computer if it had a charcoal canister or not, and they called them within a week for verification about it. The inspector stopped by my house (friend of mine) and let me know about the phone call. He DOES NOT like to get phone calls from them!

I don't think that any of us with the MM will have problems though, as long as you have ALL of your emissions stuff installed, and it passes the OBD tests, they can stop us all they want. Once they do a visual and see everything there, there isn't much they can do except ask us to bring it into the DMV office for a REAL sniffer test to verify that it isn't polluting. Then, we would have a piece of paper showing that the car is OK. (Yes, they can ask you to bring the car to them for verification...)

Luckily, they haven't gotten that strick around here yet. Just a matter of time though, as soon as they figure out they can make more money from it from all of the hot rods on the street that are illegal.

So Marauderman....They may pull you, but I don't think it will be for the looks of your car....
I see it happening for this reason:
:burn:

Later!

Marauderman
05-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah, you look pretty "strange".....

DMV just knows that there will be pre OBD cars "slipping" through the inspection stations without proper equipment, so they will be stopping some of the more suspecious vehicles that probably don't have all of their equipment. Around here, that means catching a lot of the mustangs/camaros that have been "modified", and no longer have their smog pump and/or cats.

Trust me....My 2nd car is a VERY souped up Mustang...I've already been having chats with a DMV insider about problems that I may run into once the sniffer test went away.

This stuff IS checked. My girlfriends 71 Bronco was inspected, and the shop didn't mark on the computer if it had a charcoal canister or not, and they called them within a week for verification about it. The inspector stopped by my house (friend of mine) and let me know about the phone call. He DOES NOT like to get phone calls from them!

I don't think that any of us with the MM will have problems though, as long as you have ALL of your emissions stuff installed, and it passes the OBD tests, they can stop us all they want. Once they do a visual and see everything there, there isn't much they can do except ask us to bring it into the DMV office for a REAL sniffer test to verify that it isn't polluting. Then, we would have a piece of paper showing that the car is OK. (Yes, they can ask you to bring the car to them for verification...)

Luckily, they haven't gotten that strick around here yet. Just a matter of time though, as soon as they figure out they can make more money from it from all of the hot rods on the street that are illegal.

So Marauderman....They may pull you, but I don't think it will be for the looks of your car....
I see it happening for this reason:
:burn:

Later!
....and I wanted to have that sound that separated me apart-...now I'm not so sure-I am a bit louder than "normal"---some have told me--they can hear me coming before they see me-..............I guess I need to drive in groups when in your town..:lol:--so when can we meet their fella?-

Funny thing--I checked-I cannot find my last inspection sheet--.........Hummm-Now you got me thinking----and Oh yeah- My looks are "strange" because I look l different---like I am strong/different for sure----not like others......whoops!!!!:lol:

sspmustang
05-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Pre ODB still have to have a safety check, and a "visual" emissions check. No sniffer test, but everything that the book says should be there, should be there. Only a big deal if the person actually checks it, or you go through a DMV inspection while on the road. DMV is starting to stop vehicles that don't seem "stock", and checking them out to see if they have all of the required emissions equipment installed. Thanks. I've gotten spoiled here in FLA with no inspections of any kind..and owning 8 cars, this is a big help!!!
--Mike