PDA

View Full Version : Replica Marauder Wheels

SergntMac
05-05-2006, 09:55 AM
799.00 per set of 4...Not a bad price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Mercury-Marauder-Wheels-Rims-Crown-Victoria-BrndNew_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcate goryZ43958QQitemZ8063273856QQr dZ1

KillJoy
05-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Not bad. A couple of guys could get them, split the cost.... and get them widened.

KillJoy

merc
05-05-2006, 10:06 AM
If they are cast wheels you will not be able to widen them.

Brand New Made to Factory Specs
Exceeds DOT, TUV, JWL, & VIA standards
Structure: Cast Aluminum Alloy
Size: 18x8"
Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5"
Finish: Polished
Blank center caps are included. OE center caps will fit. Lugs not included, uses original factory lugs.

shakes_26
05-05-2006, 10:29 AM
the advert says they are cast aluminum....

sabtaj1
05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
so keep the cast ones for oem size and have your originals widened. Thats what I would do.

jdando
05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
A little more info on cast vs forged. Since I did not have a clue.....

Wheel Construction – Cast vs. Forged

Forging uses intense heat and/or pressure to transform a solid slug of alloy material into the final shape of a wheel. During forging, a billet (piece) of aluminum is forced (forged) into the shape of a wheel by using a tremendous amount of pressure. Once the wheel is spun to the desired size and shape of the wheel, the design of the wheel is then machined into the face. Forged wheels are typically lighter and stronger than their cast counterparts; however they also tend to be more expensive do to the cost of the manufacturing and machining processes.

Casting is a relatively inexpensive way to produce a high-quality, strong alloy wheel. There are two methods used. One, system is known as gravity casting whereby the molten material is poured into a mold and allowed to cool. These molds are usually made by machining a piece of material on CNC machine equipments to produce a wheel that only requires minor finishing (like drilling or possibly trimming of some excess metal) to be considered complete. The other and better system used is the low pressure or negative pressure casting. Here instead of pouring the molten material into the mould, the molten alloy is drawn up into the mould using a high-pressure vacuum. This eliminates much of the trapped air found in gravity casting process, producing a stronger wheel that is less porous than a gravity-cast wheel.

duhtroll
05-05-2006, 12:00 PM
So can they be widened?

And can we get centercap cutouts?

hitchhiker
05-05-2006, 12:33 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Mercury-Marauder-Wheels-Rims-Crown-Victoria-BrndNew_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcate goryZ43958QQitemZ8063273856QQr dZ1

Those actually look very nice!

:D

SergntMac
05-05-2006, 01:29 PM
so keep the cast ones for oem size and have your originals widened. Thats what I would do.Sounds like the way to go. Put a brand new set of these wheels on the ground, park your OEM wheels for safekeeping, the winter, or, send them out to be widened. At 200 bucks per corner, how can you go wrong?

SergntMac
05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Quick update...

Called the toll free number, spoke with "Brian". He confirms that 1) the wheels are cast, and 2) in China, and 3) he's sold a few sets to Marauder owners already, the last set just an hour ago, and 4) these wheels meet every factory spec, including clearcoating, and 5) Yes, they will sell one wheel at a time for 200 bucks and 12.95 shipping in the 48 states, and 6) no, they will not produce 9.5 wide wheels because of their contracts with insurance companies to supply OEM spec wheels, and last..."why can't you widen a cast wheel?"

Actually, I don't think he knows why not, and was asking me. I told him I don't know either...

Well, there ya go folks, happy motoring!

SergntMac
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Oh yeah...and 7) the wheel accepts our OEM godshead centercap, it's been tested by Wheels and Caps. Just pop out the blank they provide and insert your OEM centercap.

Now...What to do with four blank centercaps...

MAD-3R
05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Skipping across a lake?

duhtroll
05-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Awesome job Mac - thanks.

-A

SergntMac
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Skipping across a lake? Sounds about right, Phil. Worth as much anyway.

Actually, I was thinking that Daniel @ Colex might be able to come up with something cool for us...Maybe?

Marauderjack
05-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Call WeldCraft at 734-420-2211 and see what they say about widening "cast" wheels??:confused:

Just my luck...ONE HELLUVA DEAL right after I got mine done!!:alone:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Blackened300a
05-05-2006, 02:44 PM

Nice Find Mac, I may just pick these up for that price and have my OEMs widened for a drag radial.

bigslim
05-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Not bad. A couple of guys could get them, split the cost.... and get them widened.

KillJoy
For what you will pay for half a set and then have them widened why not just buy a set of widened rims from Jerry at Trilogy. He sells the widened rims.

gilby04
05-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Quick update...

Called the toll free number, spoke with "Brian". He confirms that 1) the wheels are cast, and 2) in China, and 3) he's sold a few sets to Marauder owners already, the last set just an hour ago, and 4) these wheels meet every factory spec, including clearcoating, and 5) Yes, they will sell one wheel at a time for 200 bucks and 12.95 shipping in the 48 states, and 6) no, they will not produce 9.5 wide wheels because of their contracts with insurance companies to supply OEM spec wheels, and last..."why can't you widen a cast wheel?"

Actually, I don't think he knows why not, and was asking me. I told him I don't know either...

I think you"ll find that any metal that is cast is not as dense as metal that is forged. Typically, the strength of a casting is less than that of a forging, and doesn't lend itself to welding, unless for static or compressive loading applications, or cosmetic considerations. Forging tends to work harden wrought or billet material, thereby increasing the strength. Since our wheels are subjected to a dynamic tensile loading scenario, sometimes quite rigorous from what I read here on MM.net, I think it would be prudent to pass on widening any cast wheel.
Thanks for allowing me to contribute my comments.

MENINBLK
05-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I don't think a Cast Wheel would survive a New York Style Pot Hole.....

Blackened300a
05-06-2006, 07:23 AM
I don't think a Cast Wheel would survive a New York Style Pot Hole.....

Good point, Take a trek down the BQE and you'll end up with 4 flats by the time you reach the Verranzanno Bridge

sicilianmarquis
03-22-2007, 10:15 PM
yea but there are 2 different types of replicas, theres alluminium alloy one company makes, and another company makes str8t up crome ones, personally ide take the alluminium ones there about $80 cheaper, and lighter

RCSignals
03-22-2007, 11:45 PM
They are probably cast in China.
I wouldn't touch them, stick with forged originals

RCSignals
03-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Quick update...

They obviously don't, since they are cast and OEM are forged

O's Fan Rich
03-23-2007, 04:33 AM
You guy's resurrect a dead thread and you get me thinking Mac's back.

Shame on you.:shake:

RCSignals
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM

the siciliankid did it

Rich if you miss Mac, you can always call him on the phone :)

Breadfan
03-23-2007, 12:09 PM
You only need forged if you run high "boost" (PSI) in your tires. :D

The interesting part is that they supply to insurance companies. I wonder how many have gotten a replacement wheel from their insurance company and ended up with a cast replica wheel?

Being such a heavy performance car I'd feel better with true forged replacements personally.

RCSignals
03-23-2007, 12:23 PM

The interesting part is that they supply to insurance companies. I wonder how many have gotten a replacement wheel from their insurance company and ended up with a cast replica wheel?

Being such a heavy performance car I'd feel better with true forged replacements personally.

It is interesting. I've heard stories of bad/brittle castings on wheels made in China.
What will Insurance companies do when one of the chinese made cast wheels they approved, because it cost them less, has a catastrophic failure, resulting a major accident?

John F. Russo
03-23-2007, 02:31 PM

I would caution everyone that the cast version is far weaker than the forged wheels and more susceptible to cracking causing a catastrophic failure.

So it is not inconceivable that putting your MM through a hard tire burning turns over again will result eventually in a catastrophic failure.

jgc61sr2002
03-23-2007, 04:44 PM

The first thing I did was check the date of thread.

Drock96Marquis
03-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Though an old thread;

I would caution everyone that the cast version is far weaker than the forged wheels and more susceptible to cracking causing a catastrophic failure.
The CV/GM/TC have 'survived' for years with cast aluminum wheels, including the 17" LX SPort and TC wheels.

And if the Town Cars can survive Limo duty in NYC with their stock cast wheels, you should be able to as well ;)

Cast wheels can be widened as well. A few on CVN have contacted weldcraft about widening their HPPs, which are cast.

John F. Russo
03-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Though an old thread;

The CV/GM/TC have 'survived' for years with cast aluminum wheels, including the 17" LX SPort and TC wheels.

And if the Town Cars can survive Limo duty in NYC with their stock cast wheels, you should be able to as well ;)

Cast wheels can be widened as well. A few on CVN have contacted weldcraft about widening their HPPs, which are cast.

In years past a cast product could not be welded. I guess a new process has been developed.

STLR FN
03-24-2007, 06:49 PM

It is interesting. I've heard stories of bad/brittle castings on wheels made in China.
What will Insurance companies do when one of the chinese made cast wheels they approved, because it cost them less, has a catastrophic failure, resulting a major accident?How would you be able to tell cast from forged? Weight?/ Any other tell tell signs?

RCSignals
03-24-2007, 07:45 PM
How would you be able to tell cast from forged? Weight?/ Any other tell tell signs?

the Forged should be lighter.

There will be be tell tale signs of the casting process, remember cast wheels are molten aluminum poured into a mould. Sometimes a steel mould, sometimes sand. Either way there may be remaining signs of mould parting lines, pin holes, rough spots, etc.

RCSignals
03-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Though an old thread;

You are talking about Ford wheels which i don't think are yet cast in China, and go through a rigorous inspection process. I believe also have to meet a standard of metallurgy, not just be cast from a pot of old pistons.

The Chinese wheels are known to have 'problems'

RUSTY
03-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I think the quality of chinese manufacturing is "known" to be much better than before.

RCSignals
03-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I think the quality of chinese manufacturing is "known" to be much better than before.

Improved in the last year?

Better than before isn't saying too much.

BruteForce
03-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Buy the real deal wheels. Made by Alcoa in the US of A.