PDA

View Full Version : 255/55/18

darebren
05-02-2003, 01:29 PM
anyone actually try a 255/55/18 tire on the rear? Pirelli has the Scorpion Zero, on the Porsche Cayenne, and other sport trucks....maybe will fit on MM?

phil
05-03-2003, 10:12 PM
hey new guy here,just got my marauder,and love it but i had to buy 2 tires i put the same tire as on the rear on the front,and it looks better rides better, and now i can rotate them, like to know if there are any kits to lower them a little,say 3/4 inch???? thanks phil

rurumon
05-04-2003, 10:31 AM
doesnt that screw up your speedo dude?

WolfeBros
05-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Hey welcome Phil. Nice to have another Marauder in the DFW area. I do not know of a lowering kit for the front. The back can be lowered by adjusting the ride height sensor. Maybe someone else will answer.

Putting same size tires on the front won't do a thing to the speedometer. Putting smaller size on the back would.

gonzo50
05-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by looking97233
Actual tire size dosen't matter, just to the speedo. What is important is to maintain the ratio front to back. This is for the ABS module, and it gets very unhappy if you messs with it. I believe the the correct ratio frt/rear is: 1:1.05.
If you put the same size tire on the fronts as on the back then wont this mess with the ABS module,:confused: because the front to back ratio is different ?

jgc61sr2002
05-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by gonzo50
If you put the same size tire on the fronts as on the back then wont this mess with the ABS module,:confused: because the front to back ratio is different ? A Member of this board had his tires rotated front to back by an uninformed wrench at a LM dealer. The ABS warning light came on immeadiately. It is possible because the bigger tires were now on the front. I would keep the tires the same sizes as when the car was manufactured. IMHO. John

FordNut
05-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Several members changed over to winter tires which were the same size all around. No problems reported with ABS. I do not think these were TC cars so that may be an issue.

cyled
05-04-2003, 06:23 PM
My understanding is that the ABS is calibrated for the tires that are on from the factory. Changing out the front or the back to the same size would cause problems with the ABS.
How or why, I am not sure. I am at the mercy of those who would know that told me.

Thomas C Potter
05-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Sean Hyland Motorsports has lowering springs, I believe -3/4", 375 lb/in, and spring kit for rear. And bigger sway bars!

phil
05-05-2003, 03:55 AM
no it will not affect abs because the sensors are reading l/f r/f not front to rear i have tried a few panic stops and no problem phil;)

joflewbyu2
05-05-2003, 08:44 AM
i am sure there is some variance built in to that ratio front to rear in respect to abs. rotating front to back doubles that difference of just keeping the sizes the same front to rear wether 235/50 or 245/55. like to see pics of the 245/55 on the front. car not sitting up in the front? tires are cheap at $85 each at www.tirerack.com

phil
05-05-2003, 06:07 PM
the car sit's level now and fills the wheel well like it should, too me but still would like to lower it a little and get rid of the rear air bags,for better ride and handling,is there a club in the dallas area??? thanks phil

CRUZTAKER
05-05-2003, 06:33 PM
TETSU!!! Where are you????

I can assure you that all of us snow birds, (including myself) have utilized different sized tires on out MM's and have had no issues.
We all use (4) of the SAME sized rims and tires. In this case, all four were 235/60/16. I personally liked the ride on the smaller wheel. (The 16 is all that's available in a true snow tire.)
NOTE: The speedo is off by about 5-7 mph with the 16's. But who speeds in the ice and snow?......besides me of of course!

I see absolutely no reason why four 18" tires of the same width and runout would have any bearing on the speedo nor the ABS.
On my first tire exchange, I will be utilizing all four of the same size.

As far as lowering the car, do what comes natural....cut an inch off the OEM springs......or fork the dough on new ones. I prefer the nip and tuck method.