PDA

View Full Version : OEM Oil Cooler

schuvwj
05-03-2003, 03:53 PM
I went to my local Ford/Mercury dealer today to investigate the purchase of a F/M oil cooler for my MM. The parts manager told me F/M had an engine coolant type transfer oil cooler but he would have to order each part separately and would cost over $500 not including installation! (brackets, hoses, etc.)

I installed new Autometer gauges a few weeks ago and my oil pressure when cold is 80 psi or higher at idle. However when warmed up the oil pressure will drop to 23-25 psi at idle. (using 5w-20w)

I would like to install a GOOD oil cooler with an external oil filter.
Does anyone know of a good one?

Thanks!

RF Overlord
05-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Try B&M...I've used their transmission coolers, and am very satisfied...they now make an oil cooler kit for the 4.6L...

http://www.bmracing.com/products/acc_engOilCoolers/superCooler.html

Although I am hesitant to recommend FRAM's filters, they do make some excellent remote oil filter kits...

Part of the problem with using 5W-20 oil is that at normal operating temp, it DOES thin way out, giving those low PSI numbers...

schuvwj
05-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks RF Overlord!

RCSignals
05-04-2003, 12:46 AM
The Police Interceptor uses an oil cooler. Since it's designed for a CV, it should fit the MM.
From time to time you see new ones on eBay.
the cooler comes with the lines, and all you need separately is a filter adapter where the lines connect to.

MitchB
05-04-2003, 03:50 AM
For the type of driving you are most likely to do, you will be better served with a good oil to water heat exchanger. Even with a thermostatic adapter (as if we had room for one), it will take a long time for the oil to reach stabilized normal operating temperature. An oil-to-water heat exchanger will transfer heat to the oil as the coolant warms up faster and will keep the oil temps more stable.

Mitch

RCSignals
05-04-2003, 04:59 PM
That's what the Police Interceptor cooler is.

cyled
05-05-2003, 05:36 AM
I look at my wife's Expedition with a 5.4 and trailer tow package. It has the setup for the oil cooler. I would think any 5.4L (or 4.6L) with TrailerTow package would work as well. There are probably a lot more of them in salvage yards. As long as there was no front end damage, it should work. The hook up for the filter is the same as the 4.6 on the block.

The oil filter is located behind the bumper on the driver's side. I can actually get to it from the driver's wheel well.

Maybe a solution!