PDA

View Full Version : Car Washing Techniques

supa_carrot
05-28-2006, 06:09 PM
I think this could be a good thread in which we all could attribute useful information.

For me I begin by rinsing the car to remove excess dirt. I then use my concentration of car wash soap and water in a bucket and scrub the car with a squeege or sponge. Once finished I rinse the car again, this time to remove all dirt and soap. After this is done it is time for me to hand-dry the car. I use a dry towel and a dampened chamoi. I first rub the chamoi over an area of the car removing excess water and then using the towel directly after on that same area, all over the car. After the body is finished I move onto the wheels and tires. I first clean the tires and use a product to make the tires shine before I do the wheels, I find that this keeps tire cleaner off my shiny wheels. For the wheels I use a chrome polish and rub it on. I also use the chrome polish on my exhaust tips. Finally I like to wax the car usually when the shade comes over.

So let's hear it guys, how do you make your Marauder shine like new.

blackf0rk
05-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I will share my techniques, but not my chemicals ;)

1a. Wheel wells, tires, and rims are cleaned
1b. Then they are rinsed

2. The entire car is now soaked in a soap/water foam mixture, thanks to my foam gun. (This lifts the dirt, before anything is touched to the car)

3. Each panel is sprayed again with the foam gun, and rubbed with a microfiber sponge

4a. If the car is contaminated, it gets clayed. Else...
4b. The entire car is foamed again

5. Entire car rinsed

6. Water blade to remove 90% of the water

7. Car is dryed with waffle wave microfiber (huge)

8. Depending on the paints condition, various chemicals are applied with a rotary to remove swirl

9. Car is foamed and rinsed again

10. Wheel wells, and tires are dressed

11. Sealant, Wax etc.

That's my process in a nutshell.:coolman:

2003DOHC
05-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Touchless drive thru car wash!:D

fastblackmerc
05-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Mr. Clean on the car & wheels.

Matt Johnson
05-28-2006, 08:00 PM
My technique is to pull into the hand wash, tell the guy I want the "regular wash" (i.e. the cheap wash) with Armor All on the tires, pay the cashier my $9.99, sit down, read, and check out the scenery for 30 minutes, then tip the guy who dries it off $3 before I get in and leave....

Hotrauder
05-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Trot the little sweetie-pie right out there in her string T back bikini, climb into the hammock with a 6 pack and take a nap. How else?:beer: Dennis

supa_carrot
05-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Lazy, OLD guys.

Just playing, I prefer the handwash myself but sometimes it can't always be done.

fastblackmerc
05-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Trot the little sweetie-pie right out there in her string T back bikini, climb into the hammock with a 6 pack and take a nap. How else?:beer: Dennis
I like the way you think Hotrauder...... can I subsutite a mojotio or gin & tonic for the :beer: ??

Hotrauder
05-28-2006, 08:11 PM
I like the way you think Hotrauder...... can I subsutite a mojotio or gin & tonic for the :beer: ??

Hey, man, it's your car wash..make it work for you. By the way, I make her do the tires and wheels twice:D and Carrot it's, lazy FOG's. Thanks Dennis

Hotrauder
05-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Lazy, OLD guys.

Just playing, I prefer the handwash myself but sometimes it can't always be done.

I only have one hard and fast rule with detailing, don't ever go to the car wash ( as Shakes says )"EVER." Unless you are willing to take a chance that the detailing will cost 5 grand or more...don't ask me how I know. dennis...that FOG.:)

supa_carrot
05-28-2006, 08:21 PM
FOG would that be Fat Old Guy, if so I'm glad you decided to clear everything up. Might as well be completely correct instead of 2/3.

sabtaj1
05-28-2006, 08:22 PM
well I work at the sheriffs dept. here in IL. So I just have the trusties clean it. They do an excellent job. pretty good for $1 a piece thats 2 trusties.

STLR FN
05-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Haandwash for me with my 7yr old helping. She's learning quick. Then I get mad because once the 'Rauder is nice and clean I find a new scratch that some SOB did while not paying attention. :mad2:

Hotrauder
05-28-2006, 08:33 PM
FOG would that be Fat Old Guy, if so I'm glad you decided to clear everything up. Might as well be completely correct instead of 2/3.

Carrot, your still only 2/3's. That is F'n Old Guy. Dennis...may you get to be one...but not to soon. Dennis

supa_carrot
05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Alas, slow thinker I am, as fat was the only word that came to mind. Hopefully I didn't insult you by saying fat. And yet hopefully I will make it to be a FOG but at 16 I've got a while to go.

BAD MERC
05-28-2006, 09:19 PM
If anybody has ever used a claybar to remove contamination then you already know - but if you have never done this. Contact a professional detailer and ask to feel the finish on a vehicle after a clay cleaning and wax job. My car feels like velvet when you run your fingers down the paint. I use all professional grade chemicals to wash the car. You can buy some really strong stuff at www.msitrt.com (http://www.msitrt.com). That is Mark Supply out of Venice Florida. I get my stuff from a local supplier. I use "Turbo-D which is a concentrated all purpose cleaner which I use on everything, wheels, tires, inner fenders, bugs, engine - but I dilute it 10:1. My car wash soap is "Enhance". The tire shine called "prime shine" is that dark blue good smelling stuff that we all know. For my interior plastic and engine bay I use "ultra-shine" which is silicone based and comes in an aerosol spray (like paint). It reaches everywhere and does not need a final wipe. I use Lexol on my leather weekly and clay block the car every month when I wax it with "speedie sealer", a liquid wax-in-suspension clearcoat sealer. All the exterior rubber is dressed with a small paintbrush and silicone-based dressing. Always washed while cool, no brushes, no scrubbers, and NO automatic car washes.

Bluerauder
05-29-2006, 04:13 AM
1. Bucket of warm water and car wash with micro fiber mitt
2. Soak entire car to remove excess dirt and pollen
3. Start at roof, then front and rear glass
4. Work top to bottom, keep car wet all over
5. Trunk and rear valence
6. Driver's side rear quarter panel to front, top to bottom in 3 sections
7. Hood and front valence, still keeping car wet
8. Passenger side front to rear quarter panel in 3 sections, top to bottom keeping car wet.
9. Change mitt to tire mitt, wash and rinse each wheel in order.
10. Squeegie all glass
11. Chamois dry top to bottom, roof, hood and front valence, trunk and rear valence, then sides.
12. Dress tires, wax, and buff as necessary. :D
13. Move on to wife's Freestyle
14. Occassionally answer neighbors question about my "rates" for washing. :rofl: So far, there have been no takers. :rolleyes:

merc6
05-29-2006, 05:58 AM
how the heck do you use a clay bar?

BAD MERC
05-29-2006, 06:48 AM
While the car is wet and soapy (do one panel at a time) you rub the clay bar on the surface in circuler motions. The friction will feel like you're sanding the paint off of the car but you're actually doing it a favor. The surface will begin to have 100% contact with the bar and it will remove all the surface contamination like fallout, overspray, and old wax buildup. The bar rubbing will begin to feel like wet ice on wet ice and that is when the preparation is complete. The car has a virgin surface now and is ready for wax.

Tallboy
05-29-2006, 06:52 AM
If anybody has ever used a claybar to remove contamination then you already know - but if you have never done this. Contact a professional detailer and ask to feel the finish on a vehicle after a clay cleaning and wax job. My car feels like velvet when you run your fingers down the paint. I use all professional grade chemicals to wash the car. You can buy some really strong stuff at www.msitrt.com (http://www.msitrt.com). That is Mark Supply out of Venice Florida. I get my stuff from a local supplier. I use "Turbo-D which is a concentrated all purpose cleaner which I use on everything, wheels, tires, inner fenders, bugs, engine - but I dilute it 10:1. My car wash soap is "Enhance". The tire shine called "prime shine" is that dark blue good smelling stuff that we all know. For my interior plastic and engine bay I use "ultra-shine" which is silicone based and comes in an aerosol spray (like paint). It reaches everywhere and does not need a final wipe. I use Lexol on my leather weekly and clay block the car every month when I wax it with "speedie sealer", a liquid wax-in-suspension clearcoat sealer. All the exterior rubber is dressed with a small paintbrush and silicone-based dressing. Always washed while cool, no brushes, no scrubbers, and NO automatic car washes.

Small world. Mark is a good friend of mine.

blackf0rk
05-29-2006, 07:09 AM
While the car is wet and soapy (do one panel at a time) you rub the clay bar on the surface in circuler motions. The friction will feel like you're sanding the paint off of the car but you're actually doing it a favor. The surface will begin to have 100% contact with the bar and it will remove all the surface contamination like fallout, overspray, and old wax buildup. The bar rubbing will begin to feel like wet ice on wet ice and that is when the preparation is complete. The car has a virgin surface now and is ready for wax.

Many detailers have found that using soap will break up the claybar over time. I didn't believe it at first because it didn't happen to me the first time, but by the third time I used it, the thing was falling apart.

You don't have the use "Clay Lube" for this. You can use Quick Detailer too - they're the same thing. :coolman:

Smokie
05-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Touchless car wash, finish by hand with liquid spray wax.

About 4 times a year I pay a professional to hand wax.

Yes, I am another Fat Old Guy.

Cheeseheadbob
05-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I pay my guy $160.00 every month or so to do a top to bottom, including engine cleaning.:D

So let's hear it guys, how do you make your Marauder shine like new.

jimlam56
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Many detailers have found that using soap will break up the claybar over time. I didn't believe it at first because it didn't happen to me the first time, but by the third time I used it, the thing was falling apart.

You don't have the use "Clay Lube" for this. You can use Quick Detailer too - they're the same thing. :coolman:

I agree, if only I could find quick detailer in bulk.
I go through a bottle or two once a month on all my vehicles.

Vortex
05-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Touchless drive thru car wash!:D

Thats what I do as well. Does a nice job and its cheap.

KillJoy
05-29-2006, 02:56 PM
The Laser TouchLess Car Washes are good in a pinch. The get most of the big stuff off, but miss a lot of the tougher stock on thingies.

I prefer a hand wash, but time....time...time. A wash = 30 Minutes. Wash and Wax = >2 Hours. Clay......add another 2 Hours. Multi-Stage Waxes = 1 Hour per Stage.

KillJoy

carfixer
05-29-2006, 03:03 PM
First thing I do is entice a certain friend over with the promise of cold beer. When he gets there, I allow him to wash and claybar my car. He then applies Four Star swirl remover with his Porter Cable. Next he applies a coat of Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection with the same machine and a new pad. Afterward he gives the final touch of applying Four Star Gloss Enhancer with a fresh microfiber towel. He then applies a light coat of Four Star tire gel to the tires. I forget how the wheels are cleaned. Hey Chuck, how do you do the wheels again? Oops, I think I let the secret out.
If it looks like it’s coming out good and he doesn’t complain too much (yeah right), I may even plug in a fan and point it in his direction. Anyway, that is how my car gets cleaned and all it costs me is a couple of beers and a couple of hours of hanging out in the garage with a good friend. The car comes out better than new.
To tell you the truth, I sometimes invite him over and don’t make him clean the car. :rolleyes:

Cobra25
05-29-2006, 03:32 PM
First thing I do is entice a certain friend over with the promise of cold beer. When he gets there, I allow him to wash and claybar my car. He then applies Four Star swirl remover with his Porter Cable. Next he applies a coat of Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection with the same machine and a new pad. Afterward he gives the final touch of applying Four Star Gloss Enhancer with a fresh microfiber towel. He then applies a light coat of Four Star tire gel to the tires. I forget how the wheels are cleaned. Hey Chuck, how do you do the wheels again? Oops, I think I let the secret out.
If it looks like it’s coming out good and he doesn’t complain too much (yeah right), I may even plug in a fan and point it in his direction. Anyway, that is how my car gets cleaned and all it costs me is a couple of beers and a couple of hours of hanging out in the garage with a good friend. The car comes out better than new.
To tell you the truth, I sometimes invite him over and don’t make him clean the car. :rolleyes: Hay for a couple of beer's :beer: he can come over here too. Hell I'll buy him a case ! :rolleyes: And pay for his Gas too! :banana:

blackf0rk
05-29-2006, 03:40 PM
I agree, if only I could find quick detailer in bulk.
I go through a bottle or two once a month on all my vehicles.

Go to a place that sells automotive finish products and ask for MeGuiar's #34 Final Inspection. That's quick detailer. Shouldn't cost more than 24.99 for a 1gal. All I use for QD

ghost03
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Before getting my car repainted I would take it over to the local car wash and have them run it throught the tunnel until I started hearing some horror stories. After that I started having them do the wash by hand. It came out pretty good but not as good as when you do it yourself. Now that my car is painted I will never let my car go through another tunnel at any carwash ever again Period, end of story. Its a lot of work but as all of you know at the end of the day when that Black, DTR, Silver Birch, Blue beauty is looking sharp, there is no better feeling than knowing you did it yourself. The only problemc I have is that I dont have a garage to be able to wax my car so I have to end up going to a friends house and use his garage unless I sweat my A$$ off and do it out side in the sun quickly but I stay away from the sun/wax as much as I can

blackf0rk
05-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Running your car through a car wash will give your paint instant swirl marks and/or marring. If you go through the touchless laser wash, it isn't as bad, but the chemicals they use are so strong that it makes me shudder. No laser or regular gas station washes for me :)

merc6
05-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I live in an apt in va...no hose and no garage for me :(

Tallboy
05-30-2006, 04:10 PM
To tell you the truth, I sometimes invite him over and don’t make him clean the car.:

Sometimes. Not usually. When I knock on the door, I have to hold the buffer up to the window so he'll let me in. That's ok. I'll be needing some maintenance work on my car soon. You'll be the one doing it [and paying for it], and, if you're really nice, I'll let you buy me lunch. :D

Kennyrauder
04-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Dennis, the great wife of yours might have something to say about that hammock dream. I'll bring a 24 of Labatt Blue from Canada & we will wash our own as we get hammered on those beers from Canada. All the Best from north of 49. Kennyrauder.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-03-2007, 05:19 AM
One thing that bugs me is tire shine. I never use it. Tires are not supposed to be shiny, they are rubber! Plus I have no interest in adding chemicals that will more likely than not degrade the rubber over time.

BigMerc
04-03-2007, 05:40 AM
I will most of the time hold a small stack of U.S.currency in my left hand, while flipping the tops of the bills upward until I reach a $50 bill. Once I identify the bill I will pull it firmly out of the stack and hand it to my mobile deailer who crumples it immediately and places it in his pocket.

40 minutes later the car is done. hope that helps.

sicilianmarquis
04-05-2007, 06:38 PM
hey guys heres a tip, no matterwere i go , dirty or clean, filled or empty, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, park far away, from other people. or part were no body else is gunna park, and if ur doing it in the middle of the day, nobodys gunna try and break into a lone car sitting all by itself in the middle of a parking lot.thats a sitting duck to get caught, and if u do do it at nightime, park right under a lightpost.

David Morton
04-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I have used a brush since I learned long ago that rags, sponges and mitts hold sand and dirt and scour the clearcoat causing the swirls all these guys are having to go rub clay bars on to get out. I have never touched Quicksilver with anything other than a brush until it's already been cleaned of this sand and dirt. When I wash her she gets the brush, I got a nice one at Walmart for $10, looks like a giant size dish brush. After rinse I use the squeegee to run off 85% of the water and then towel off the rest.

The water still beads up like when she was new and there are no swirls of any kind to be seen anywhere. Even at night under the lights the clearcoat is like a polished mirror, with ripples in it of course. Needs to be wet-sanded and buffed.

It's either a brush or touchless car washes for me.

Rider90
04-08-2007, 09:46 PM
I have used a brush since I learned long ago that rags, sponges and mitts hold sand and dirt and scour the clearcoat causing the swirls all these guys are having to go rub clay bars on to get out.
David,

A clay bar does absolutely nothing for swirls, scratches, and surface marring. It is used to capture surface contamination, such as tree sap, industrial fallout, rail dust, other synthetic & enviromental overspray, and any contamination that gets stuck to your vehicle's surface.

David Morton
04-09-2007, 06:32 PM
David,

A clay bar does absolutely nothing for swirls, scratches, and surface marring. It is used to capture surface contamination, such as tree sap, industrial fallout, rail dust, other synthetic & enviromental overspray, and any contamination that gets stuck to your vehicle's surface.

Thanks for the education. I'm not a paint-and-body man. I had assumed the clay bars were filling in those tiny scratches that make all those swirls and starburst rays you see on clearcoat surfaces that have been scoured with sand.

What are the guys doing for that? Buffing them out?

Rider90
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the education. I'm not a paint-and-body man. I had assumed the clay bars were filling in those tiny scratches that make all those swirls and starburst rays you see on clearcoat surfaces that have been scoured with sand.

What are the guys doing for that? Buffing them out?
Yes sir eee

Vortex
04-10-2007, 09:24 PM
I go to the local Chevron, splurge on the $6 delux touchless lazer wash and dry off with a clean towel (as the blowdryer thing never works worth a damn). Then, about twice a year, I use Turtle Quick Wax sprayon wipeoff wax.

David Morton
04-10-2007, 10:40 PM
(deleted by David Morton) MM03MOK doesn't like me to share my experience with you guys, so I won't any more.

Dan19063
04-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Mr. Clean Wow not me