PDA

View Full Version : Nitto Extreme 555 reviewed

merc
05-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I just wanted to share my personal experiences with my new set of rear tires. I wanted a highway tire for the road, but also could grip at the track. This weekend I was involved in the Mason Dixon Memorial Day Classic. This was 3 day event that offered some very stiff competition (see attached picutures) and a great opportunity to test traction under various track temperatures. The tire pressure was set to 40 pounds. Below I extracted the information from the time slips.

2.059 60 ft. 83 degrees
2.049 60 ft. 75 degrees
2.029 60 ft 87 degrees
2.052 60 ft 92 degrees
2.043 60 ft N/A
2.079 60 ft N/A
2.070 60 ft N/A

Do the math, that's a 2.0544 adverage 60 ft times.

As you can see these are the consistent times you want in bracket racing. I could pull a lower 60 ft time with drag radials ( 1.8 -1.9) , but sometimes it’s beneficial not to carry a jack, torque wrench, and a extra set of tires. The down side to these tires is they don’t hold up on a Supercharged Marauder when racing. Breadfan was the first to try out my new widen wheels and Nitto tires. He stated that were a tad better then O.E.M’s. On a N/A car they were tons better then the O.E.M tire which averaged between 2.0 and 2.2 60 ft times depending on track prep. Needless to say I am very please with the overall performance and cost. I am sure other members will chime in with their experiences.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/masondixonracing.jpg

Look closely at the picture and you will see I was running against one of the track sponsored cars( Hoffman Automotive)

Tallboy
05-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I regularly 60' at 1.9X or 1.8x on OEM tires at 35 lbs.

I can't remember the last time I had a 60' of 2.00 or higher.

merc
05-30-2006, 06:14 PM
I regularly 60' at 1.9X or 1.8x on OEM tires at 35 lbs.

I can't remember the last time I had a 60' of 2.00 or higher.

You have a power adder. Track condition and altitude are important factors. I was trying to make a baseline comparison using the same track and two different drivers.
Track Elevation 535' at Mason Dixon.

HwyCruiser
05-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Are these the 295 NT555s? I put those on my OEM widened rims and they seem to run pretty good on the street. Much better than the stock width BFGs.

merc
05-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Are these the 295 NT555s? I put those on my OEM widened rims and they seem to run pretty good on the street. Much better than the stock width BFGs. Yep 295/45/18

Tallboy
05-30-2006, 06:28 PM
You have a power adder. Track condition and altitude are important factors. I was trying to make a baseline comparison using the same track and two different drivers.

You are correct on all points, and made an informative post. Thank you.

I was just [once again] trying to convince myself I don't need widened rims and Nittos. :)

merc
05-30-2006, 06:45 PM
It was tough to run in this class. 9 second cars to 18 second cars were entered into trophy class. Reactoin time and 60 ft times were everything. You won and lost by the pedal. I was knockout the competition on the first round Saturday, but returned Sunday to kick some butt.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/Lookingatthegroup.jpg

Brutus
05-31-2006, 05:07 AM
Bootsy Collins huh? Sweet! You been watching some Red Hot Chili Peppers videos??

Breadfan
05-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Nice review. Yes, there wasn't much comparison that I felt running those vs. the BFG drag radials. All in all though, they felt like they'd have more grip than OEMs.

I was able to get a 1.9 60ft on my OEM KDWS's at Capitol that one day. Track seemed a bit stickier though. I only mention that to say my 60ft times on the 555's was lower, but I think that was my fault. I beleive with a good track I could do as well/better than with OEMs on those tires.

Glad to see they are consistent too! I only put two runs on them, one was a decent run the other was pretty bad. I certainly do believe a power adder adds another variable that makes consistency for bracket racing more difficult - about as difficult as adding another variable. :)

In bracket racing consistency is key, if you can get consistent on those street tires as you said it has it's benefits about not having to haul another set of tires and change them at the track.

Thanks for the review!

Smokie
05-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Your 60' times are excellent and extremely consistent, I never had a 60' below 2.15 while N/A, I compared to my N/A 60' at Commerce, GA. which is about 800' altitude and you are doing much better than I did.:)

Your statement about the tires not really holding a S/C MM is true, recently I was at the track and some of my friends with those tires had a very hard time hooking up.

Way to represent.:up:

SergntMac
05-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Nice job, Merc. Well thought out and presented here, congrats!

Am I correct to believe you kept the PSI at 40? Did you try any lower PSI?

Thanks again for the 411.

merc
05-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Nice job, Merc. Well thought out and presented here, congrats!

Am I correct to believe you kept the PSI at 40? Did you try any lower PSI?

Thanks again for the 411.

Yes, 40 PSI was used. The logic behind this decision is simple. I wanted to drive to the track, stage and go. Keeping things simple adds to the enjoyment factor.

Labor day I will return to the same track and try different air pressures but I don't think it will yield any improvements.

ik04
05-31-2006, 09:34 AM
When I raced at Milan during MV3, My NT555 295/45-18s were two days old on my new widened rims. I was getting sub-2.0 second 60s after about four runs...

I was loading the brakes just a tad and opening the throttle just before the light. When I didn't red light, I got some great 60' times. The Nittos almost hooked up too well and since I have 3.55s, the tiny bit of spin at the launch kept my times low.

I used 26-28 psi and drove back to the hotel that way. I keep them at 32-34 for normal street driving.

No power-adders here (yet). Just a Reinhart tune and some good reaction times.....

The Nittos are immune to wet roads and plow right through standing water with no pulling or slipping. They ride slightly rougher, but are quiet and stick like glue in the turns!

I love 'em!:D

Kevin

Jolly Roger
05-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Do you have to use the widened wheels for these tires or will the factory width wheel work OK?:o

Rider90
05-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Do you have to use the widened wheels for these tires or will the factory width wheel work OK?:o
Widened wheels only

merc
05-31-2006, 12:39 PM

I currently use widen wheels, but you could use any wheel with the proper offset and bolt pattern. 18x9.5

Breadfan
05-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I currently use widen wheels, but you could use any wheel with the proper offset and bolt pattern. 18x9.5

I believe most wheels for a 2005 Mustang that are 18x9.5 and have the 50mm offset will work for the rear. You may be able to use 10" wide too, but might cause rubbing with the shock absorber...

merc
05-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I believe most wheels for a 2005 Mustang that are 18x9.5 and have the 50mm offset will work for the rear. You may be able to use 10" wide too, but might cause rubbing with the shock absorber...

The stock 2005 Mustang GT tire is 17x8 the 2006 upgraded wheels are 18x8.5
After market is another story.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/svt/swap/svt_06_mustang_gt_sl_ci3_l.jpg

Fourth Horseman
05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Nice job, Merc and way to represent! You and your car continue to inspire me to save my pennies for upgrades! :up:

AzMarauder
05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
So what tire pressures are folks running in their NITTOs on the street?

Last time I raced I ran 'em at about 38lb. Apparently that is too high?

What torque stand RPM do folks use on a S/C car? I was going with about 1400 RPM. When I tried 1800 RPM the rear tires couldn't hold the car on launch.

merc
06-01-2006, 06:04 PM
So what tire pressures are folks running in their NITTOs on the street?

Last time I raced I ran 'em at about 38lb. Apparently that is too high?

What torque stand RPM do folks use on a S/C car? I was going with about 1400 RPM. When I tried 1800 RPM the rear tires couldn't hold the car on launch.

Nitto Tires advise users to check tire air pressure regularly and maintain the recommended cold-inflation air pressure. Over or under inflation will reduce the tire placard on vehicle for correct inflation. FOR DRAG STRIP: Various air pressures will effect a vehicle's performance at the track. But, Nitto Tires recommends users to maintain cold-inflation air pressure suggested by the vehicle owner's manuel.

That's the party line on the subject, but in reality match your inflation against track temperatures and traction conditions. There is no magic number.