PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with the woofer....

Reaper948
05-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Okay, I brought my car into the dealer for the 6,000 mile check up or whatever it is.....

Complained about the woofer rattle...
they said 'subwoofer vibrartes things, turn the sub down then'

whaaaaat?! Im not turning down a thing, it shouldnt be rattling!

Dennis, in his post about the infinity speakers, said that someone removed the package tray and found the cutouts that were still inside

Can I take out the package tray myself and remove all that foam?

Because my dealer doesnt seem to believe anything a 18 year old says.......So i should take things into my own hands...

looking97233
05-04-2003, 11:31 PM
No, you should not do it yourself.

Turn the sub down? How would you do that? There is no seperate control for "sub level"

First call mercury customer service.

My dealer added some deadining materal between the package shelf(steel) and the package shelf(carpeted hardboard) which has worked quite well.

The rattle is caused from the carpeted package shelf bouncing on the steel under it and also against the rear window.

If your cut-out was still in place you would be complaining about a lack of sound from the sub, not rattling from the sub.

If the customer service number dosen't work, ask to talk to the service manager, then the dealership general manager. Tell them that the money from an 18 year old is just the same as the money from a 50 year old. You expect the same service and do not appreciate being blown off. Do not get angry, or yell. Speak in a reasonable voice. That is about all I can say.

RCSignals
05-05-2003, 12:29 AM
good advice Looking.
He might try going to the SM first though

Murader03
05-05-2003, 06:59 AM
"Can I take out the package tray myself and remove all that foam?"

Reaper, you can remove the back seat, both bottom and top. Must remove two nuts that hold seat back in place. Remove seat back and look under the package tray. There should be a cut out over the top of the "sub" that should have been removed during build, a lot weren't. You can simply slide your fingers up along the foam and since it's perfered, it should come right out.

Sounds like your dealer don't have a clue!

LincMercLover
05-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Just reach across the counter and choke his ass! :up:

MAD-3R
05-05-2003, 07:13 AM
Now now. No reason for violance. Just stay on him. When he says "Just turn it down." Look at him with a blanck look, and say "No. Fix the problem." And that should be the only words out of your mouth till it is fixed.

LincMercLover
05-05-2003, 07:17 AM
I like my way better... :rolleyes:

Mark [N4OGL]
05-05-2003, 07:39 AM
I know we've talked a lot about replacing the speakers. Has anybody replaced the subwoofer?

engine23ccvfd
05-05-2003, 08:30 AM
I think I read somewhere someone got an 8'' to fit the factory bracket.....might of been just dreaming while burning the fingers on a crack pipe...

joflewbyu2
05-05-2003, 08:31 AM
rockford fosgate makes a 6.75" sub that fits. www.crutchfield.com has them for $79.

joflewbyu2
05-05-2003, 09:28 AM
oh btw, i don't have this sub myself - i'm still waiting for someone else to be the guinny pig!!

jefferson-mo
05-05-2003, 11:25 AM
I fixed the thing myself....mine still had the cutout but it wasn't muffled at all....but it rattled like crazy......it SHOULD NOT sound like that.......still buzzes a little but I need to do the sound deadener

Dennis Reinhart
05-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Reaper948
Okay, I brought my car into the dealer for the 6,000 mile check up or whatever it is.....

Complained about the woofer rattle...
they said 'subwoofer vibrartes things, turn the sub down then'

whaaaaat?! Im not turning down a thing, it shouldnt be rattling!

Dennis, in his post about the infinity speakers, said that someone removed the package tray and found the cutouts that were still inside

Can I take out the package tray myself and remove all that foam?

Because my dealer doesnt seem to believe anything a 18 year old says.......So i should take things into my own hands...

Just take the car to Circuit City and have them fix it right or talk to the dealer they should pay for it

Reaper948
05-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by looking97233
No, you should not do it yourself.

Turn the sub down? How would you do that? There is no seperate control for "sub level"

Well its the equivalent of turning the bass down on sound system

Reaper948
05-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Murader03
"Can I take out the package tray myself and remove all that foam?"

Reaper, you can remove the back seat, both bottom and top. Must remove two nuts that hold seat back in place. Remove seat back and look under the package tray. There should be a cut out over the top of the "sub" that should have been removed during build, a lot weren't. You can simply slide your fingers up along the foam and since it's perfered, it should come right out.

Sounds like your dealer don't have a clue!
ur right.....
I cant do this work myself from the trunk?!.........I really dont trust myself in ripping out the seats

Murader03
05-06-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Reaper948
ur right.....
I cant do this work myself from the trunk?!.........I really dont trust myself in ripping out the seats

Nah! The bottom of the back seat pops loose from two clips, one on each side. Then you just lift it out. The seat back is held in place by two nuts from the floor. Remoce them, lift the seat back "UP" to take it off the clips, and lift it out. Look under the package tray. Remove the foam from the Sub position it it's there. and then reinstall the seats in reverse. It's a 10 minute job! You don't need to get in the trunk!

LincMercLover
05-06-2003, 07:30 AM
The woofer fix is simple. Take ya 30mins if you're like REALLY anal about being carefull with the car.

TheMoor
01-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Do it yourself see my images about the Sub-woffer replacement it's easy, everybody is doing it, I'll help you.
theMoor.

Team Taxi
01-04-2007, 09:23 AM
If you had a problem with your engine, would they tell you to drive slower?

eric jones
01-04-2007, 09:43 AM
I had the same problem and the dealer told me the same thing. I think sometimes people just think you are as dumb as they are and you will accept anything they say, anyway I pushed the issue and they ordered me a new one and installed it. It did the exact same thing and I was over the 36,000 mi. mark so I took it to my stereo guy and he pulled it out and low and behold, they never removed the foam that covers the woofer cone. It now sounds ten times better but nothing like aftermarket subs. So now I am going to have a custom enclosure built to house the two competition 12" sub woofers powered by two 500.1 amps I bought from Massive Audio ( haven't been able to afford the build yet). The Oasis report I got from Roy L Pita showed that the sub had been replaced before I purchased the car, I figure the previous owner had the same problem

ckadiddle
01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
.................... So now I am going to have a custom enclosure built to house the two competition 12" sub woofers powered by two 500.1 amps I bought from Massive Audio ( haven't been able to afford the build yet). .............
Yikes!!!:eek: Thats a LOT of woofing!:D :D

ctrlraven
01-04-2007, 12:36 PM
I just removed the oem sub inclosure, bought a prefab box for a cheapy 12" sub that I had laying around, swung the amp around and remounted it with wires facing backwards and hooked it up to my sub. It's loud enough to slighty shake my mirrors but not loud to where someone is going to hear it in the next county. It's only temp until I have the funds to get a sounds system that my MM deserves to haul around.

TheMoor
01-05-2007, 02:57 PM
;32215']I know we've talked a lot about replacing the speakers. Has anybody replaced the subwoofer?
Yes! I have replaced the sub woffer with no problem, check my pictures,
theMoor-pictures.
very easy!

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-13-2007, 10:04 PM
You know, I got the annoying piece of foam over the sub from the trunk, I just unscrewed the 4 or so screws holding up the thing, and was able to slide it out. Then a couple months later the whole sub amp assembly came loose and started shaking on bumps. Took it to the dealer and they screwed it back on, as I didnt know/want to take the backseats out to get in there.

The lesson is that the best thing for Marauders, is to get a beefy aftermarket sound system these cars so well deserve.:D

cyclopsram
01-14-2007, 05:04 AM
Push in the front of the bottom lift out... Take off two nuts from the upright rear seat section... note position of seat belts... lift up rear cushion... lift out. lift up rear shelf... go easy... look in remove cutouts...add a little foam cushioning where shelf contacts metal... reverse above and before your coffee is cold... using one wrench and one socket... your job is done... and you don't have to climb into the trunk!! You might even find money for a new coffee under the seat, too!!

Blackened300a
01-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I went and bought a stronger woofer speaker with a bigger magnet. I dropped the enclosure in the trunk which was only 4 nuts and a plug. The New speaker's magnet didnt fit into the enclosure, It was catching one side of the magnet and held it up a 1/2 inch. So I grabbed a heat gun and heated up the area where the magnet hit. Once it got real tacky, I pushed the speaker in til it finally sat flush. This took about 3-4 attempts with the heatgun and pressure on the enclosure.
Once installed and buttoned back up, It sounded 100% better.
The Factory Amp is rather strong and was able to push the speaker fine.

03SILVERSTREAK
01-14-2007, 04:54 PM
;32215']I know we've talked a lot about replacing the speakers. Has anybody replaced the subwoofer?

I have replaced my sub with an 8" sub-woofer made by rockford fosgate and stilled used the factory sub box. PM me if U want pics...:D