PDA

View Full Version : Black Magic and Turtle Wax better than NXT?

Stock03
06-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Latest Consumer Reports has the best liquid waxes as Black Magic Wet Shine and Turtle Wax Carnuba (84 points each). Meguiar's Gold Class is 6th (68 points) at 50% higher cost, and NXT places 9th (67) and is twice the price. No Zaino tested (maybe not available widely enough?). Turtle Wax is rated really high in paste and spray varieties; Meguiar's comes last in both categories.
Interestingly enough, the bottom 2 (out of 17) liquid waxes are both Turtle Wax products.
I'm sure some of y'all will have some comments.

hbarrett
06-04-2006, 04:41 PM
It all sounds good, but I can tell you that I put Zaino on last August, one coat not two, car is hand washed every week with Meguiar's deep crystal liquid car wash, and no garage. Water still beads, washes clean with little effort and still looks glossy. Will be putting Zaino on again next month for another year. I dont like Carnuba when it gets on glass, smears, and tough to get rid of. Just my two cents. Others may have had a different experience.
Latest Consumer Reports has the best liquid waxes as Black Magic Wet Shine and Turtle Wax Carnuba (84 points each). Meguiar's Gold Class is 6th (68 points) at 50% higher cost, and NXT places 9th (67) and is twice the price. No Zaino tested (maybe not available widely enough?). Turtle Wax is rated really high in paste and spray varieties; Meguiar's comes last in both categories.
Interestingly enough, the bottom 2 (out of 17) liquid waxes are both Turtle Wax products.

MarauderMark
06-04-2006, 04:45 PM
It all sounds good, but I can tell you that I put Zaino on last August, Will be putting Zaino on again next month for another year. .
Wtg Howard:up:

jimlam56
06-04-2006, 04:47 PM
I like Zaino.
Takes a while to apply, but it lasted.
I've tried 'em all, (major brands), this works.
Heard about a supplier in SW FL, and will check them out when my Zaino's gone.:D

hbarrett
06-04-2006, 05:00 PM
I have been waxing my cars since 1967 (am I really that old) with every brand that comes along, and Zaino has been the best yet. A bit extra work, but definitely worth it. I am a Zaino believer!
Wtg Howard:up:

jgc61sr2002
06-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Maguires NXT makes to much dust IMO.
I also like Zaino the best. I appears to last longer.

Agent M79
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I use Zaino. Love it. I have heard good things about NXT so I bought it.

This past Sunday, half of my hood got NXT and the other half, Zaino.

I drive my car every day regardless of weather and I park it outside 100% of the time.

I usually Zaino once in the spring or early summer and once again before the weather gets cruddy. My car is frequenty less than tidy but washes up easy with the Zaino. Also makes the leaf-blower drying method work great.

Application is pretty much the same. When removed, Zaino has always had very minimal 'dusting'. The NXT had a bit more 'dusting' but I've seen much worse.

Visually, I can't tell them apart.

I am going to give it a few days, a few rains, and a wash or two and I think I'll be getting an idea about the durability.

FYI, the remainder of the car is Zaino.

StevenJ
06-04-2006, 09:18 PM
The last wax I used was Meguiars Gold Class because I was fed up with Next Generation. It's hard to get all the wax off after it is applied at it seems as though it can peel off from too much sun. I think it damaged my paint that way. I appearntly may or may have forgetton to take some off on the front bumper and the wax left a huge scratch when I removed it. So I switched to Goldclass. It is soooooooo much better! It's easy to put on and easy to take off. I'm never switching back!

bryanthomas
06-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Hey, Zaino users, how easy is the application and removal?

fastblackmerc
06-05-2006, 06:24 AM
I use Zaino. Love it. FYI, the remainder of the car is Zaino.
And it does look good! :banana2:

DEFYANT
06-05-2006, 06:28 AM
I like the NXT. Goes on easy, comes off easy, looks great and lasts a long time - on my car since it is in the garage and not used daily.

Someday I'll give teh Zaino a shot.

jerrym3
06-05-2006, 06:34 AM
I used Mequiar Gold on my black 94 TBird LX.

OK, but I noticed a lot of spots (similar to oil stains) that I figured came from my trees.

I applied a coat of Turtle Wax liquid carnuba. Spots are gone, and the shine improved over the Mequiars product.

My 64 Galaxie was last painted back in 1978.

Lat summer, I applied the Mequiar product, and saw very little change (28 years is 28 years). Then, I applied the Turtle wax product.

Color definitely got deeper, but there's just so much you can do with a paintjob that old.

I like the TWax product.

KillJoy
06-05-2006, 06:45 AM

Put on a coat of Z2 this weekend. We put it on, and let it set in the sun for about 45 minutes (had an errand to run). Got back, and buffed it out. You could just graze the surface w/ a cloth, no pressure at all, and it would begin to come off. Very nice product.

However, I really like Mother's Carnuba Paste in the Can for the wheels. Goes on thick, and STAYS!

KillJoy

Bobby Clobber
06-05-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm a Zaino zealot,one main reason........... Anything with Carnuba will turn the finish yellow after a while.

As far as spots etc., try the clay bar treatment, it really does work wonders.:beer: :beer:

hbarrett
06-05-2006, 07:40 AM
It's a time consuming process because you must completely clean the surface before you apply Zaino - no surface cleaners like most waxes. I find that it goes on very easily, very sparingly, and is removed easily without too much dust.

duhtroll
06-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I like the NXT also. Two coats on the horizontal surfaces and one coat on the doors, etc. and I'm set for 6 months, and mine is a daily driver in the midwest, in temps from -20 to 100.

Clay bar it first and the NXT makes the black look almost blue - it's that clean.

I've seen Zaino and I don't see a difference. Even if there were a slight difference, it ain't worth the extra money IMO. I get NXT for $14 a bottle, and that bottle lasts me a couple years. It goes on in seconds and I'm finished in about an hour, and that's taking my time.

I like the NXT. Goes on easy, comes off easy, looks great and lasts a long time - on my car since it is in the garage and not used daily.

Someday I'll give teh Zaino a shot.

blackf0rk
06-05-2006, 08:49 AM
NXT can be layered every 24 hours. Also, NXT is really concentrated. You can take a regular sized spray bottle, fill it with distilled/filtered water (if you're picky), and throw in an ounce or two of the NXT. Shake it up and apply it as a spray wax.

That's a detailers secret, don't tell no one :P

hbarrett
06-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Sounds like a great product and maybe I will try it one day. I have had great success with the Zaino and plenty left from last year to use it again this year. Both products sound similarly excellent in performance.
NXT can be layered every 24 hours. Also, NXT is really concentrated. You can take a regular sized spray bottle, fill it with distilled/filtered water (if you're picky), and throw in an ounce or two of the NXT. Shake it up and apply it as a spray wax.

That's a detailers secret, don't tell no one :P

sweetair
06-05-2006, 08:09 PM
funny this thread should be here. My plans tomorrow is a wash and wax. Turtle wax w/ canuba is the choice. I'm sure they are all comprable. She'll be shining in no time............

04MRADR
07-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Just tried the Black Magic Wet Shine on my son's black Accura Legend. As promised the finish looks really great but I nearly broke off my elbows trying to get the swirls and streaks out of it. I removed the wax and found nothing but cloudiness, swirls and streaks and had to take a damp terry cloth and constantly wipe the surface over and over and buff the surface to get rid of the problem. The shine really looked great but a lot of work. I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class on the Marauder since I bought it in August 04 and really can't see any big difference in the two waxes except Meguiars is a hell of a lot easier to use. :cool:

blackf0rk
07-09-2006, 01:21 PM
You only need 1 oz of NXT per car. Just dilute 1 oz in a spray bottle.

TX Harley Guy
07-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Has anyone here tried Turtle Wax Ice? there was a post about it on the Harley truck boards so I tried it, shines great but does streak, make sure you get the detailer spray also, it helps. I applied a coat to the hood, let it sit 5 minutes then applied another coat before removing it, shines as good or better that NXT or Mothers F/X. Its really thin and almost like water, dosent take much and dosent leave a white residue. It worked great on my Shamu truck, Im waiting to see how it last though.

Its worth a try and yes, Im a waxaholic!

davidholland
07-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Where does one obtain this Zaino? And how much will it cost me?
My MM is a daily driven but t the end of the month I'm going to be parking it in a garage every night!

Merc-O-matic
07-10-2006, 08:01 AM
My MM is a daily driven but t the end of the month I'm going to be parking it in a garage every night!

can't really afford $100 for car wax...."Zaino".
stick with NXT for $14.95!

Gotta Love It!:rasta:

jdando
07-10-2006, 09:01 AM

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

jeremy

merc
07-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Has anyone here tried Turtle Wax Ice? there was a post about it on the Harley truck boards so I tried it, shines great but does streak, make sure you get the detailer spray also, it helps. I applied a coat to the hood, let it sit 5 minutes then applied another coat before removing it, shines as good or better that NXT or Mothers F/X. Its really thin and almost like water, dosent take much and dosent leave a white residue. It worked great on my Shamu truck, Im waiting to see how it last though.

Its worth a try and yes, Im a waxaholic!

Ice is quick and easy. My first time using it at a show I got 2 awards. I am now throwing away my collection of caned waxes. :rasta:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/ffwcarhog.jpg

TWEGGS
07-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi All,
I've sold almost every wax over the last 20+ yrs. Meguairs has a new pro wax M-2164 snth wax. It's much like the NXT but better. Only problem it only comes in 64oz. size. I pasted out some 8oz.samples at our Emerald City groups Drive at the XXX back in April or MAy. Anyone have some feedback? I think this is GREAT stuff.
Cheers, Terry

Agent M79
07-11-2006, 04:54 AM
It's a little more than a month later.

Both sides of the hood (1/2 Zaino / 1/2 NXT) are visually identical. They both still bead and shed water in exactly the same way. Dirt comes off one side as easily as the other.

I have a 500 mile drive this weekend to stress it out a little more.

I use Zaino. Love it. I have heard good things about NXT so I bought it.

This past Sunday, half of my hood got NXT and the other half, Zaino.

I drive my car every day regardless of weather and I park it outside 100% of the time.

I usually Zaino once in the spring or early summer and once again before the weather gets cruddy. My car is frequenty less than tidy but washes up easy with the Zaino. Also makes the leaf-blower drying method work great.

Application is pretty much the same. When removed, Zaino has always had very minimal 'dusting'. The NXT had a bit more 'dusting' but I've seen much worse.

Visually, I can't tell them apart.

I am going to give it a few days, a few rains, and a wash or two and I think I'll be getting an idea about the durability.

FYI, the remainder of the car is Zaino.

04MRADR
07-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Like I said last week after I used Black Magic Wet Shine on my son's black Accura Legend as a test, my arms almost fell off trying to buff out the streaks and cloudiness. This was the only negative in the Consumer Reports article. I kept wiping with a wet turkish towel and buffing. I had to admit once I had all the streaks and cloudiness out the shine was really impressive but all the work was too much. I'm stick with Meguiar's Gold Classic. Wouldn't mind trying the Zaino since some guys seem to likt it but I can't find it anywhere in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Vortech347
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
After I got my car back from paint the car has swirl/buffer marks all over the poor thing. I've got Meguires #9 waiting in the garage for me. After that i'm going to do gold class, then NXT. This was recommended by the person that did the car, my buddy who's 03 cobra looks like glass and Meguires.

Personaly I've always used Eagle 1 Wet on my stang and it works AWESOME. I used it on the merc but the stupid mothers spray wash took the wax off!!!

Agent M79
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
It's a little more than a month later.

Both sides of the hood (1/2 Zaino / 1/2 NXT) are visually identical. They both still bead and shed water in exactly the same way. Dirt comes off one side as easily as the other.

I have a 500 mile drive this weekend to stress it out a little more.

Ok. The NXT is gone. Where once upon a time I could not see a difference between the two sides of the hood, now I can. The NXT side no longer beads water and behaves like the car does with no wax on it. The Zaino side still beads very much like day 1.

So okay. This was less than scientific. I didn't strip everything off the car before applying the waxes. But, even the previous Zaino treatment had seemingly wore off before I did this.

If I feel compelled, I will for truely revisit this and level the playing field as best I can. Like strip the entire car of wax with Dawn. Instead of just the hood, I do the entire half with one and the other half with the other. Maybe I could convince a detailer to do the waxing so I don't know which half is which. Document with pictures. Etc.

At this point though, I am willing to say that this conclusion is somewhat better than seat-of-the-pants anecdotal but certainly not scientifically conclusive.

tomd
08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Has anyone tried Turtle Wax "Ice Synthetic Liquid Polish" Yet?

Bigdogjim
08-03-2006, 03:14 PM
One word.Ardex!

jgc61sr2002
08-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Like I said last week after I used Black Magic Wet Shine on my son's black Accura Legend as a test, my arms almost fell off trying to buff out the streaks and cloudiness. This was the only negative in the Consumer Reports article. I kept wiping with a wet turkish towel and buffing. I had to admit once I had all the streaks and cloudiness out the shine was really impressive but all the work was too much. I'm stick with Meguiar's Gold Classic. Wouldn't mind trying the Zaino since some guys seem to likt it but I can't find it anywhere in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Order Zaino on line.

joemama
09-22-2006, 06:00 AM
I have used both and yes, Zaino comes off easier, with minimal dusting. They both leave a great shine but Black Magic leaves a type of 'oily film' that can take a bit of rubbing. I just use McGuiers (sp?) spray on detailer and it takes all the streaks out. Looks great. I am a firm believer in Consumer Reports and they rated Black Magic Wet Shine the best for black cars. Plus it is cheap too...:)