PDA

View Full Version : One quick question.

03MERCMARAUDER
05-05-2003, 05:13 PM
On my MM i see a j shaped pastic piece on the boot running to the throttle body. What is this thing and can it be removed. Also does anyone know where I can find a cold air kit for my MM

BlackHole
05-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 03MERCMARAUDER
On my MM i see a j shaped pastic piece on the boot running to the throttle body. What is this thing and can it be removed. Also does anyone know where I can find a cold air kit for my MM

The dreaded intake silencer most Mach1,03cobras,us and I think GT mustangs have them to pass the LEV standards set by the EPA. Getting rid of mine as soon as a suitable replacement is made.

03MERCMARAUDER
05-05-2003, 05:27 PM
What color is your Lightning ? I have a silver 2002 and I love it. I just got my black 03 Marauder 2 weeks ago and love it but it needs some go fast goodies, but overall its a great car and I love driving it

BlackHole
05-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Silver this is what the front with AAD Cobra hood and 1" Eibach springs in front Has a Borla Cat back and just ordered a JDM flip chip for my 4# lower boost pulley. And its #226 out of 4726 02 Lightnings produced.

03MERCMARAUDER
05-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Nice truck. How much did that hood cost you. It looks really good. To bad i couldnt find a silver MM or I would have gotten one of those to go with my lightning

RF Overlord
05-06-2003, 04:42 AM

Actually, that was THREE questions... :D

1). The "J"-shaped piece is an intake silencer for noise abatement under WOT...

2). Yes, it can be removed, many of us already have...read this thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1074&highlight=silencer).

3). Dennis is working on a CAI kit as we speak...I don't believe there are any for the MM yet; due to the flipped upper intake orientation, the ones for the Mustang won't fit...

BlackHole
05-06-2003, 06:28 AM
I think $499 to $599 don't exactly know or can not find recipt.
www.americanautodesigns.com these people are the makers of the hood.

LincMercLover
05-06-2003, 07:18 AM
03MERC,

See FAQ

cyled
05-06-2003, 09:21 AM

Here is a picture....

Before
Silencer Before (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=104)

After
Silencer After (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php?photo=105)

LML used Duct Tape on the inside and left the Silencer. It does make a difference in sound....

RF Overlord
05-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by cyled
LML used Duct Tape on the inside and left the Silencer.

Oooooh...duct tape on the INSIDE? I would be concerned with the tape deteriorating, from heat or whatever, and being pulled into the throttle body on the next WOT... :(

LincMercLover
05-06-2003, 11:14 AM
I didn't use your run of the mill duct tape. My stuff was thick, heavy duty tape that has like three times the amount of "threads" that normal duct tape has. It's also like 4-5" wide, so the outter edges are over the actual hole and being held by the hose/clamp. I've taken it out now that I hit 5000 miles to check on it, and it looks just like the day I put it in. No worries here! Plus I plan to get a cold air here soon.