PDA

View Full Version : XCal 2 question

2003DOHC
06-08-2006, 04:38 PM
The instructions say to first disconnect the fuel pump and electric fan fuses. Is this necessary?? No one has posted this step before. Thanks.

greggash
06-08-2006, 04:49 PM
I use the Xcal2 often,
I never pull the fuses.

2003DOHC
06-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I use the Xcal2 often,
I never pull the fuses.

Thanks for the quick answer. Any one know why it is listed on the instruction page??

kj31067
06-08-2006, 05:06 PM
i didnt either. i think the instructions are generic and for some ford applications it might count....

jawz101
06-08-2006, 06:52 PM
from SCT forums - it's basically a preventative measure in case your battery drains during a flash. The following posts are all from SCT employees in their forums:

You do not have to pull the fuses every time you flash the vehicle. It is recomended in case your battery is low and cannot maintain proper voltage during the flash. If that happens, and the tuner looses comunication, your car will not start until you charge the battery and reflash the PCM.
We put that as a precaution due to seeing older vehicles with poor batteries and leaky injectors just to cover ourselves.

Many people flash without pulling fuses, and don't have a problem, but if you do have a problem, we did what we could to reccomend you pull the fuses to prevent problems.

Q: I recieved My Xcal2 today. In the instructions it states Disconnect the Fuel pump and fan Fuses....Where are those located exactly and what do they look like?
A: This depends on what model/year vehicle you own. The Fuel pump and fan fuses are usually listed in your owners manual and also inside the fusepanel cover. Pulling the fuses is necessary on all 96-97 vehicles, but may not be necessary in other years (although we do recommend it). We recommend it because it prevents battery drain during flashing, which may cause problems if your battery is low.

2003DOHC
06-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Thank you all for the excellent answers!