PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Naake rear shocks

merc
06-14-2006, 06:50 PM
The purchase and the delivery of the Naake QA-1 shocks was a silky smooth experience, but the installation was slightly odd. The difference between the lower bushings is vastly different. The O.E.M design uses a one piece threaded tube with rubber bushing and a larger lower support. On the other hand the QA-1 shocks lower support bushing are two piece and don’t fit securely when bolted to the rear end. 24 hours after installation both shock slipped and separated where the polyurethane bushings were compressed by the lower bolt. In order to fix this problem I purchased from True Value Hardware a set of 3/4' brass fittings and steel washers to support the large lower polyurethane bushings. After a couple of weeks of driving this seemed to resolve the problem. I called Mike the technical support person at Naake thinking that I was missing something from the order. He explained that he has only heard of 3 reported problems with lower bushing. Needless to say I was not pleased that I needed to purchase 21 dollars of extra parts to install a set of $370.00 shocks.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/O.E.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/naakeshocks.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/naakewasher.jpg

MENINBLK
06-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Merc,

In your last pic, the outboard bushing appears to be cracked....
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/3/8/naakewasher.jpg
If I were you I'd borrow the tube and bushing form the OEM shocks and call it a day.

merc
06-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Merc,

In your last pic, the outboard bushing appears to be cracked....
If I were you I'd borrow the tube and bushing form the OEM shocks and call it a day.

You have a point. I will take a closer look while I have it on the rack Saturday. Have you used the OEM shock bushing ?, I didn't think it would fit. I also wanted to keep the O.E.M shocks intact incase I need to return the QA-1's back to Naake for service.

GreekGod
06-14-2006, 08:14 PM
No excuse for improper fit.

DEFYANT
06-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Looks great & nice fix to the problem. But after 300+ bucks, I probably would have sent them back too.

How's the performace?

merc
06-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Looks great & nice fix to the problem. But after 300+ bucks, I probably would have sent them back too.

How's the performace?

The shocks are as advertised and better. I tested it on Washington D.C streets and the Theodore Roosevelt bridge under road construction. When adjusted to the lowest setting it rides like a American luxury car. When at the highest settings it will jar your head constantly and provide an extremely harsh ride. After a couple of days I found the correct sleep number. All-in-all this is a highly recommended modification.

CRUZTAKER
06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Was this a unique scenario?

Or is this something everyone has experienced?

We need taffy-put.

merc
06-14-2006, 09:06 PM

We need taffy-put.

Was this a unique senario ?, not according to Mike at Naake. I was hoping that other QA-1 owners would chime in. I e-mailed Juno about his experiences with installation and he wrote “The only issue I had was with adjustment of shock height. I ate up several rubber bushings on the top of the shock. I still have not got it where I want it”. A complete write up with detailed measurements will be sent to Naake concerning my problem.

TooManyFords
06-15-2006, 05:32 AM
I had the same problem with the front coil-overs. The lower section just floated between the lower arm mount points. I'm still trying to decide how to brace it, but your solution looks like the one I will go with.

I didn't have the problem with the rears because I relocated mine and used a different model number.

But, with all that has been said, I have to agree about the ride being 400% better than stock! I too played with my settings and found #1 the ride to take on long trips. I am at #4 all the way around and will find some time this week to tweek again. I'm thinking of going to #3 in the back and #5 in front.

John

shakes_26
06-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I've been running the rear QA1's for soem time now, and well, I had no issues.

I've drag raced several times, I've road raced, drag raced some more, drove it a few hundred miles home and nothing but happiness.

The isntall was simple and I ahd no issues whatsoever. My only concern was why I received two sets of bushings from Naake. Mike @ Naake told me between the 03 and 04's there was some difference in width and they required a little differently sized bushing/ insert tube. Maybe this was your problem? It was several months ago so I dont remember too clearly the exact reasoning.

merc
06-15-2006, 07:44 AM
My only concern was why I received two sets of bushings from Naake. Mike @ Naake told me between the 03 and 04's there was some difference in width and they required a little differently sized bushing/ insert tube. Maybe this was your problem? It was several months ago so I dont remember too clearly the exact reasoning.

I am still investigating the bushing size issue. By design the two metal sleeves with polyurethane bushing alone don't cut it alone, regardless of the size differences. You need additional support to hold these cup styles bushing in place. My concern is in time (maybe years) you will experience excessive wear to upper and lower bushings because of movement, making this a high maintain modification.

shakes_26
06-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Ah I see what you mean now.

My lower bolts which I reused just barely went through they required just slight tapping with a small ball peen hammer and very light force. So again maybe a difference between an early 03 300A and later cars??

If I get a chance and can not go into alzheimers mode, I'll measure the diameter of the bolts, and chekc for play.

I am still investigating the bushing size issue. By design the two metal sleeves with poly bushing alone don't cut it alone, regardless of the size differences. You need additional support to hold these cup styles bushing in place. My concern is in time (maybe years) you will experience excessive wear to upper and lower bushings because of movement, making this a high maintain modification.

MENINBLK
06-15-2006, 09:29 AM
You have a point. I will take a closer look while I have it on the rack Saturday. Have you used the OEM shock bushing ?, I didn't think it would fit. I also wanted to keep the O.E.M shocks intact incase I need to return the QA-1's back to Naake for service.

I haven't had the need to change out the OEM shocks yet.
With all the talk about the differences between this and that,
I think I'm gonna stick with the Mercury shocks.
They list one type for 2003 and another type for 2004.
The difference in the price ? 40 cents
We'd have to ask Ray if they are the same...

GreekGod
06-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Monroe has special Marauder shocks listed.

Marauderman
06-15-2006, 11:50 AM

We need taffy-put.
I agree--We need some TAF input here--I'm thinking his shop has installed these in the past or he has the skinny on this-hope so-cause I'm thinking of getting some --------so what is the real deal..........Tom

merc
06-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Speaking of facts lets take a look at what Naake is selling. On page 79 they are adding the Non-coil-over top stud conversion kit part # SS100SD and on page 78 they also add a shock eyelet. All you need to know is the compressed height and extended height and you can purchase these rear shock from anybody on the internet for less. This is not a Marauder specific shock, but does adapt to our cars. Some other facts to consider is, what’s the warranty? This information was not easily found on Naakes website. So I called to find that it’s 1-year parts and labor from the manufacture QA-1. If you are out of warranty and you have a leak it’s 45 dollars to repair.

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_ms2005_st.pdf

This style of installation offers better support of the bushings, but on the Marauder it's a different story
http://rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/135_0407_qa1_11_z.jpg

SergntMac
06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
I haven't had the need to change out the OEM shocks yet.
With all the talk about the differences between this and that,
I think I'm gonna stick with the Mercury shocks.
They list one type for 2003 and another type for 2004.
The difference in the price ? 40 cents
We'd have to ask Ray if they are the same... I agree. Between owning 3 Marauders, and replacing two sets of shocks (front and rear) I have been very pleased with OEM performance and durability. Of course, everything is measured and viewed in relationship to how the car is used/abused.

Just lately, the KB#1x rear shock are sharting to show their age, after 22K miles. For the cost of parts and labor for the OEM stuff, no problem. Prolly do the "hand me down" with the rears to the #3 MM, which has almost 80K miles now. With the ADDCO sway bars in place front and rear, I like the ride very much.

CRUZTAKER
06-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Comon Tad...we need your old days part of the Marauder family input.

You introduced these to us. You were there from the start. Have you or your compadres at Team Ford had similar issues? And if so, what did you do to remedy them?

Krytin
06-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I have the same problems with both front and rear. Already fixed the rears and the fronts are going to be fixed this morning.
I have been running @ the #5 setting on all four. Will try #6 on the front after the repair.

merc
06-16-2006, 11:54 AM
I have the same problems with both front and rear. Already fixed the rears and the fronts are going to be fixed this morning.
I have been running @ the #5 setting on all four. Will try #6 on the front after the repair.

Could you upload some pictures of your fix. I am always looking for better idea's. The front coil overs are my next mod.

TAF
06-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I'd pick up the phone and call Mike Naake @ 916-771-0109 if any of you are having problems. Mike's a reasonable guy and will work with you to correct any concerns.

And no...I've not personally installed these on a Marauder (we did have Mike send us a set for the '70 Hemi Cuda we did a few weeks ago, and we put those on no problem)....but, I did speak with Scott Levin this morning (after reading this thread and the comments from my big fan "Mr. 420" in C-LEAVE-land)...Scott's put more sets of these on than ANYONE here...and he's NEVER had an issue.

Maybe the wrong bushings were sent by mistake Mark...just call Mike and he'll get you fixed. :up:

magindat
06-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Monroe has special Marauder shocks listed.

DR has 'em. Easy install. I took the time to re-use the factory dust boots.

They ride a little stiffer than stock but not harsh. They are a little more re-assuring than plush. I feel they are the correct 'character' for the car.

Price is right.

Note: Opinions based on daily driver, highway, city and country miles.

merc
06-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I'd pick up the phone and call Mike Naake @ 916-771-0109 if any of you are having problems. Mike's a reasonable guy and will work with you to correct any concerns.

And no...I've not personally installed these on a Marauder (we did have Mike send us a set for the '70 Hemi Cuda we did a few weeks ago, and we put those on no problem)....but, I did speak with Scott Levin this morning (after reading this thread and the comments from my big fan "Mr. 420" in C-LEAVE-land)...Scott's put more sets of these on than ANYONE here...and he's NEVER had an issue.

Maybe the wrong bushings were sent by mistake Mark...just call Mike and he'll get you fixed. :up:

I have talked to Mike several times. Let me be more explicit. The bushing fits the lower shock eyelid, but the supplied 2 piece collar will not support the bushing and it will fail and cause premature wear. Secondly the supplied collar is 2mm long on each side, causing the shock move with weight distribution. Mike directed me to my local hardware store or use parts off my existing shock. I am not the first person with this issue. Naake offers no in-house fix for this problem. No flame my friend, I have my fix.

GreekGod
06-16-2006, 01:53 PM
DR has 'em. Easy install. I took the time to re-use the factory dust boots.

They ride a little stiffer than stock but not harsh. They are a little more re-assuring than plush. I feel they are the correct 'character' for the car.

Price is right.

Note: Opinions based on daily driver, highway, city and country miles.

I'm surprised they are "sportier" than the OEM's! If one prefers simplicity, they sound like a fine choice. I like the idea of a slightly stiffer shock made by a major label that DR endorses.

I don't have the expertise, time or energy to play with adjustments.

Fourth Horseman
06-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't have the expertise, time or energy to play with adjustments.

I think that's what would be nice about the single adjustable version: there's only one setting to play with. Seems it would be a simple matter to make an adjustment then take the car out and test it, rather than having to adjust both bound and rebound individually.

GreekGod
06-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I think that's what would be nice about the single adjustable version: there's only one setting to play with. Seems it would be a simple matter to make an adjustment then take the car out and test it, rather than having to adjust both bound and rebound individually.

I believe that less is more, in many or most situations.

Krytin
06-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Could you upload some pictures of your fix. I am always looking for better idea's. The front coil overs are my next mod.
My rear fix was similar to yours - I cut tube stock to fit over the supplied steel bushings and butt to the outsides of the split rubber/poly bushings and the insides of the shock bracket.
I just finished the fronts - I used 1/2" steel flat washers to shim up the space between the bushings and the lower control arm. Looks a little ghetto but VERY efective at holding the bushings and shock in place and on center in the control arm.

I caught the rears on the install as they were loose and zip tied to the lower shock eyes and the bushings had to be selected from two sizes. I said to myself "these are never gonna stay together!"
The fronts however were aalready installed in the lower eye with the steel bushing in place. It appeared pretty solid so I said "Ah, they must know what they're doing."

Oh well, I AM very happy with the ride and front height adjustability but my knees and back are talking to me about shooting the lock off my wallet and getting a lift already!

David Morton
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I've been on the phone with Mike Naake today and it was about this very problem, mounting hardware. Apparently there's a difference between the 2002-03 and the 2004 lower mounts. It looks to me like the improved stock 2004 setup has rubber bushings that are vulcanized to the tubes and shock using a longer tube so there could be less stress on the rod during travel. This has caused the misfit.

I do not think the stock bushings could be used, let alone gotten off the shock without destroying them.

I've sent him an e-mail with a proposed drawing of a simple improvement not unlike the one you've done. BTW, you've got an engineers mind to come up with that solution, you're a steely-eyed Marauder man, my friend.

More later. Chow.

Tallboy
06-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I've been on the phone with Mike Naake today and it was about this very problem, mounting hardware. Apparently there's a difference between the 2002-03 and the 2004 lower mounts. It looks to me like the improved stock 2004 setup has rubber bushings that are vulcanized to the tubes and shock using a longer tube so there could be less stress on the rod during travel. This has caused the misfit.

I do not think the stock bushings could be used, let alone gotten off the shock without destroying them.

I've sent him an e-mail with a proposed drawing of a simple improvement not unlike the one you've done. BTW, you've got an engineers mind to come up with that solution, you're a steely-eyed Marauder man, my friend.

More later. Chow.

It's not "chow" it's "ciao". It's the "Eye-talyun" version of "aloha".

Heathen. :D

David Morton
06-16-2006, 10:09 PM
It's not "chow" it's "ciao". It's the "Eye-talyun" version of "aloha".

Heathen. :DI was talkin' about "time to eat", you know, chow's a waitin'.

Chou - the chineese version of goodbye.

Gentile. :D

CRUZTAKER
06-17-2006, 07:57 AM
And no...I've not personally installed these on a Marauder

Eww thanks Tad. I was under the impression goober did indeed install these products. And hower much I like to screw with you, I still respect goober's knowledge of cars.;)

merc
06-19-2006, 06:07 PM
The tread ends on the bright side. Naake credited me the cost of the additional mounting hardware. New mounting hardware is being reviewed and hopefully no additional foreseeable problems. :banana:

Fourth Horseman
06-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Good news. I'll definitely be waiting on this upgrade until they get revised mounting for the rear shocks. Thanks for driving this issue, Merc.