PDA

View Full Version : Find your lollipop?

Pat
06-15-2006, 03:23 AM
Has anyone who dropped their transmission pan for a fluid change find a "lollypop" laying in the pan?

If you use the flush and gush method then you won't find your lollypop.

I'm sorry, I couldn't sleep last nite and while surfing the net came across this little tidbit on fordforums.com

Where's my meds.

RF Overlord
06-15-2006, 04:08 AM
The lollipop, also called the "baby rattle", is actually a dust seal that is displaced when the factory initially inserts the dipstick. When the pan is removed for the first time, people find it floating aimlessly about and immediately panic, thinking some vital part has become dislodged. Not to worry...

tbore007
06-15-2006, 06:54 AM
I found Mine!

Tallboy
06-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Mine wasn't there when we dropped the pan.

Maybe I should have Carfixer drop the pan again...might as well change the filter while we're there. :D

Rider90
06-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Mine was there the first time...I was like WTF did I do...

jdando
09-02-2006, 04:27 PM
Found my lollipop today!:baby:

Thanks again to MM.net so I did not freak out and think I have parts falling out of my tranny.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/1/0/2/closeupoflollipop.jpg

jeremy

Black_Noise
09-02-2006, 08:32 PM
i found mine when i was doing my trans temp guage install, i couldnt figure out where it went and some checking on the old internet says its a factory plug used on initial fluid fill, i was glad cause i wanted to get done and test the new guage

ShelbyMotorspts
09-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Yup these type of plugs have been in use for many years and on different makes not just Ford.

I've always wondered why they don't have some words cast into it like "OK to discard" or "remove on initial service" or something like that but I guess the manufacturer thinks that only a service tech would find it and they already know to toss it.

Steve

ntrudr
09-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm glad I was reading the crownvic site before I drained the tranny and put a new filter on the 99 CV I just traded for the MM. Without the site, I wouldn't have known about the plug and I'm sure it would have freaked me out. I only wish the 04 MM had the torque converter drain (It doesn't, does it?) like the 99 CV did. I only wish I wouldn't have spent the money for the 13 qts of merc V, but didn't plan on getting rid of so soon.

ShelbyMotorspts
09-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I only wish the 04 MM had the torque converter drain (It doesn't, does it?) like the 99 CV did.

Wow I haven't seen a torque convertor drain plug since the 1970's vintage cars.

Was your 99 CV a PI version?

Steve

Drock96Marquis
09-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow I haven't seen a torque convertor drain plug since the 1970's vintage cars.

Was your 99 CV a PI version?

Steve

All panther platform cars had a T/C drain up until the beginning of the 02 model year or late 2001, depending on model.

ShelbyMotorspts
09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
All panther platform cars had a T/C drain up until the beginning of the 02 model year or late 2001, depending on model.

Wow I thought tc drain plugs were gone forever. Even vehicles that I have owned that needed them like the Buick GN and Dodge Truck didn't have them.

Did all Ford vehicles have them or did Ford put them on the Panther vehicles because most were going to end up as taxi's or police/fire vehicles?

Steve

ntrudr
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
My 99 was not a PI, so I guess Drock96marquis is correct. I just hate that all of the shops want to just flush the tranny now and not replace the tranny filter. It would seem to me that backflushing the filter would put the contaminants from it back into the tiny orifices of the tranny??? I guess the amount of money they charge for the amount of work is a much better profit margin?? The TC drain was great though!

RF Overlord
09-05-2006, 03:46 AM
It would seem to me that backflushing the filter would put the contaminants from it back into the tiny orifices of the tranny??? That's another urban myth. Fluid exchange machines do NOT "backflush" anything. The fluid goes around in the normal direction under the control of the transmission's own pump. Modern machines such as the "T-Tech" (http://www.cloreautomotive.com/knowledgeResources/842-400-002.pdf) are a perfectly safe and acceptable method of replacing the fluid. According the the Big Red Book, the filter is not required to be replaced unless the transmission has needed an actual repair.

stryker
09-10-2006, 05:30 AM
That crappy ¿lollipop? is necesary or it can be dropped in the near trash can in the neighborhood.

STRYKER.

jdando
09-10-2006, 07:42 AM
That crappy ¿lollipop? is necesary or it can be dropped in the near trash can in the neighborhood.

STRYKER.

It can be dropped in the trash. I still have mine shall I mail it to you?:rolleyes:

su amigo, jeremy

stryker
09-12-2006, 07:24 PM
It can be dropped in the trash. I still have mine shall I mail it to you?:rolleyes:

su amigo, jeremy:nono: !Don't! you know what you can mail that ¿Lollipop? to some of the MF's in the nest of crows (CVN).

STRYKER.

Bradley G
09-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Why pick on CVN?
Did they give you the boot?
:nono: !Don't! you know what you can mail that ¿Lollipop? to some of the MF's in the nest of crows (CVN).

STRYKER.

ROADWARRIORSVT
09-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Manwhile,..back on topic,...

Thanks for posting this tidbit of info. I'm almost ready to change my tranny fluid. I'm sure I would have freaked seeing this in the pan!! Good info.