PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots, how to remove?

sailsmen
06-17-2006, 06:19 PM
:depress: I have a large number of water spots etched on the hood, roof and trunk lid.

I have tried clay bar, vinegar, Blue Coral scratch remover, Kit scratch remover and Zaino paint cleaner.

They are only visible under flourescent at an angle.

Any sugesstions other than wet sanding?

Marauderjack
06-18-2006, 04:20 AM
CLR.....The stuff that removes Calcium...Lime...Rust may do the trick unless you actually have Acid Rain "Etch" marks....Then wet sanding may be the order of the day!!:(

Good Luck!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

blackf0rk
06-18-2006, 05:54 AM
Uh. I would NOT put CLR on your car's finish.

It's hard to say, but I think you're seeing acid rain etching. Can you provide pictures? You may be able to get them buffed out. Wetsanding would be my absolute LAST option in this case.

sspmustang
06-18-2006, 03:56 PM
I agree, avoid the CLR. In the past claybar with McGuire's Quick Detailer has done the trick for me, but it is an arduous job.
If you have the same problem on your glass, this stuff is the ONLY thing I have found that will work..and it works very well!!
--Mike

http://www.glass-restorer.com/

STLR FN
06-18-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree, avoid the CLR. In the past claybar with McGuire's Quick Detailer has done the trick for me, but it is an arduous job.
If you have the same problem on your glass, this stuff is the ONLY thing I have found that will work..and it works very well!!
--Mike

http://www.glass-restorer.com/ I have used Bon-Ami and #0000 steel wool on glass with no problems.

sailsmen
10-27-2007, 05:11 AM
I am detailing the Marauder and have the same water spots.

It's on the w/s but only outside the wiper sweep so it must be acid rain.

I remember in the 80's when clear coats were popular several products came out to remove acid rain.

The water spots are etched into the clear.

Anyone have any suggestions other than wet sand or machine buff?

I have never machined buffed the Marauder. Is there a buffer machine tech for idiots.

I have never wet sanded a car, is there a tech for idiots?

Thanks.

Blackened300a
10-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Head to your local body shop supply store and pick up a small bottle of "Chroma 1500" Then head over to sears and pick up the vibrating buffer machine with the terry towel cloth pads. Just apply the chroma to the pad and take your time going over the paint. This compound is extremely light and will not fade the paint or require any other steps. It will turn white and dry like a wax, once dry then wipe it off with a microfiber towel. Im almost positive that it will do the trick. I had water spots and massive swirl marks in my car, A local body shop told me about this stuff and how to do it. Anyone who has seen my car's paint up close would agree how clean it is. When completed, grab your favorite wax and go over the entire car.

OneBADLsE
10-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Head to your local body shop supply store and pick up a small bottle of "Chroma 1500" Then head over to sears and pick up the vibrating buffer machine with the terry towel cloth pads. Just apply the chroma to the pad and take your time going over the paint. This compound is extremely light and will not fade the paint or require any other steps. It will turn white and dry like a wax, once dry then wipe it off with a microfiber towel. Im almost positive that it will do the trick. I had water spots and massive swirl marks in my car, A local body shop told me about this stuff and how to do it. Anyone who has seen my car's paint up close would agree how clean it is. When completed, grab your favorite wax and go over the entire car.

+1. His car doesnt even look like it has Ford paint! It's almost impossible to see swirls on his car

sailsmen
02-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Dropped the wife's Honda Pilot off at the detailers.

Asked about the acid rain on the MM. He said they give cars an acid bath to remove.

HE showed me a spray bottle. They spray on one section at a time wipe then wipe off w/ a damp cloth. Painted surfaces and windows.

Anyone heard of this?

Local Boy
02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I have removed bad water spots on the MM by buffing with a very mild compound (3M makes one that is "clear coat safe")

Which ever brand you get...Make sure it's "Clear Coat Safe"

Then glaze/sealer/wax, and you should be good...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

Glenn
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I have had the same acid rain marks in my MM and have tried everything including a professional high speed buffer and heavy compound. If the marks are bad like mine then the only way to remove them is by wet sanding.

Glenn

sailsmen
02-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Being a daily driver I am trying to avoid anything that might reduce the thickness of the paint.

I am resigned to the fact that I might have to live with it until she becomes a weekend car.

MarauderMark
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
McGuire's Quick Detailer has done the trick for me, but it is an arduous job.

This werked fer me as well.

BigCars4Ever
02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I am detailing the Marauder and have the same water spots.

It's on the w/s but only outside the wiper sweep so it must be acid rain.

I remember in the 80's when clear coats were popular several products came out to remove acid rain.

The water spots are etched into the clear.

Anyone have any suggestions other than wet sand or machine buff?

I have never machined buffed the Marauder. Is there a buffer machine tech for idiots.

I have never wet sanded a car, is there a tech for idiots?

Thanks.
Do not wet sand your car. Even with 2000 grit wet sand paper I went to the primer in just 5 or 6 light strokes. I could'nt believe how thin the clear and color are on these cars! Your best bet is a Porter cable dual action polisher and some light compound. Even with that the etched in water spots on my car are still visible. I'm leary of polishing any more of the clear after what happened to the door. Now I have to repaint the door.

wchain
02-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I know a Local Ford Dealer Acid washes all their new cars to remove rail dust, stains, spots etc. before delivery

sailsmen
02-04-2008, 07:35 PM
% info. Thanks Wes.

When she next needs a detail I will consider the acid bath.

KillJoy
02-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Look HERE (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/)

KillJoy

Go Mifuni
02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Look HERE (http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/)

KillJoy

Nice site.
Check this guy out. http://www.miracledetail.co.uk/auto-detailing-home.html

jimlam56
02-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Oxcalic acid will remove acid rain spots.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Which ever brand you get...Make sure it's "Clear Coat Safe"

About the only compound you can still buy that is NOT clear coat safe is the old red cake rubbing compound. "Clear coat safe" is a marketing buzz word. Everything has been clear coat safe for the past 20 years, especially anything you'd buy from a detailing or paint shop.

eric jones
02-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Start with the least intrusive method which would be a vinegar and water solution (3 parts 1 part vinegar) If that doesn't do it, go to a clay bar (mild) and that should do it. If that doesn't work go up to a more aggresive clay bar. Last resort is color sand, but do not do this if you don't have the experience. 3M has a three step process called Perfect-It, IMHO this is the best!

Lowndex
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Out of several articles from a web search, this sounds the best:
http://www.mobileworks.com/acid_rain_auto_paint_protectio n.html

sailsmen
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks, I learned alot and will have a detailer give the MM a chemical bath.

magindat
03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks, I learned alot and will have a detailer give the MM a chemical bath.

I gave mine a chemical bath and a wax just before the SSM picnic. Big difference!!!

davidholland
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
I used the above mentioned porter cable with Menzurna compound and followed that with Blackfire wax and the waterspots are gone even under flourescent light! I would not wet sand!

sailsmen
03-04-2008, 07:40 AM
How do you give it a chemical bath?

Is it something best left to professionals?

magindat
03-04-2008, 09:16 AM
How do you give it a chemical bath?

Is it something best left to professionals?

No, It's easy. But I'm not gonna talk about it here, cuz I don't wanna hear it. PM me.

knine
03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I bought one of these, works great for preventing spots http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/37244.do

.....I know about spots.