PDA

View Full Version : Drag Radial comparison?

Breadfan
06-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Are there any sites that have comparisons or reviews of drag radials to see how they stack up to each other? Or do we here have some opinions?

I'm curious how the compounds on the different DR's stack up on the track.

There's three main choices for us, Nittos, BF Goodrich, and Micket Thompson DR's. How do they compare to each other?

How do the different compounds stack up to a 4200lb car? Does tread patterm make much of a difference?

BillyGman
06-19-2006, 02:35 AM
All that I can offer you is what I've heard.....people say that Nitto DR's don't offer as much traction as the M/T ones or the BFG ones do, but they last a little longer. One guy who I work with who I beat in a street race who had the Nitto DR's on his Camaro like I have on my Marauder told me that his car hooked-up better with the BFG DR's than it did with the Nittos.

I think that the Nittos are the only ones that offer us Marauder owners the maximum size that can be fit on our cars though. In fact, I think that the M/T DR's aren't even available in 18" sizes at all. So i guess it's a matter of considering what options you have.

FordNut
06-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Yep, size matters...

The 'stangs have all three available. For drag racing the Mickey Thompsons are generally rated best, followed by the BF Goodrich. The Nittos are ok but they have to get a lot of heat before they stick good (big burnout). For street use the Nittos are the only ones you would consider driving on in the rain. The Mickey Thompsons will wreck you for sure and the BF Goodrich may be ok in light rain if you're very careful. All this is just what I've pulled from many comments, no scientific tests were performed.

merc
06-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Are you puttiing your new tires on 16 inch steel rims ?

SergntMac
06-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Zack has pulled a 1.6x 60 foot time on BFGs, I've pulled a 1.8x. Not scientific, but hope it helps.

BTW, the BFGs are 295/35-18, a size that will disrupt the ABS and traction control systems and throw an alarm. But, you're only using them at the track, so, it's no big deal.

MarauderTJA
06-19-2006, 07:25 AM
I spoke directly with a tech from MT. He stated that they will have the street drag radial in a 305 X 45 X 18 available by August for our cars. From what I have heard these are the best tires yet for hooking up at the track for a street drag radial. A friend of mine switched from the Nitto DR to the MT's for his Firebird and dropped 2 tenths with his 60 foot.

fast Ed
06-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Hey guys

Just FYI, M & H is offering some drag radials now, in limited 15", 16", and 17" sizes:

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

Some of the 16" and 17" ones are about 28" tall, which may be useful for MM owners, depending on their powertrain combo and gearing. I got a pair of the 275-50-17 to use on my T-Bird SC, but haven't been out yet this season to try them. M & H has a pretty good reputation for drag tires, FWIW.

Goodyear and Dunlop are offering some drag radials this year as well. The Goodyears are more traditional sizes, and the Dunlops are lower profile, larger rim diameter rubber.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/pdf/2006_price_book/dot_drag.pdf

Haven't heard anything about them yet.

Hoosier is also in the drag radial market now too. The 03 - 04 Cobra guys seem to like them, from what I've read on ModularFords.com.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/Drtire.htm

cheers
Ed N.

Rick-n-Miami
06-19-2006, 07:37 AM
When was the last time you spoke with MT? I heard someone mention that the tire might already be out. I've looked around, but haven't seen it yet.

I spoke directly with a tech from MT. He stated that they will have the street drag radial in a 305 X 45 X 18 available by August for our cars. From what I have heard these are the best tires yet for hooking up at the track for a street drag radial. A friend of mine switched from the Nitto DR to the MT's for his Firebird and dropped 2 tenths with his 60 foot.

Breadfan
06-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Are you puttiing your new tires on 16 inch steel rims ?
Yes, I am.

And that's the tough part, I know the manufacturers have different sizes, and we might be dealing with sidewall differences along with width when comparing steelies or OEM 18" wheels with the widened OEM wheels.

So I was kinda thinking compound vs compound if possible, something I don't expect there to be a clear answer on.

Mainly I'm trying to decide if I want to go with the BFG or MT DR's, size is 255/55/16

Thanks for all the responses thusfar!

But all things being equal, of the big three, which ones perform better at the same size, width.

MarauderTJA
06-19-2006, 08:09 AM
When was the last time you spoke with MT? I heard someone mention that the tire might already be out. I've looked around, but haven't seen it yet.

A couple of ads stated that they are available (Race Pages). I called my contact at MT about this and he stated is was an error on the ad. He said they will be available before September 1st. I hope so.

MarauderTJA
06-19-2006, 08:11 AM
But all things being equal, of the big three, which ones perform better at the same size, width.

Everything I have heard from credible sources, the MT's hook up the best.

Rick-n-Miami
06-19-2006, 08:16 AM
I really hope so. These will be an integral part of my traction solution :)

A couple of ads stated that they are available (Race Pages). I called my contact at MT about this and he stated is was an error on the ad. He said they will be available before September 1st. I hope so.

BillyGman
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
My Marauder turns consistent 1.6 second 60' times with the P305/45/18 Nitto DR's, but since i have 4.56 gears in the rear and a 3,000 RPM stall speed, along with a roots supercharger, I can't help but wonder if the Mickey Thompson DR's will allow me a 1.5 second 60'.

MarauderTJA
06-19-2006, 08:54 AM
I really hope so. These will be an integral part of my traction solution :)

Me too:D. I have had some traction issues as well.

MarauderTJA
06-19-2006, 09:00 AM
[quote=BillyGman]My Marauder turns consistent 1.6 second 60' times with the P305/45/18 Nitto DR's, but since i have 4.56 gears in the rear and a 3,000 RPM stall speed, along with a roots supercharger, I can't help but wonder if the Mickey Thompson DR's will allow me a 1.5 second 60'.[/quote

They probably will get you there Billy. My best with the Nitto's has been a 1.7 sixty foot. I have 4.10's and a 3000 stall converter as well with the Procharger. I have good low end, but our problem in Florida is the heat and track temps. I would love to take the car to New England dragway (years ago, my old home track) in the fall with some nice cool temps.

juno
06-19-2006, 09:10 AM
The M&H look pretty interesting, especially the 325-45-17's.

Hey guys

Just FYI, M & H is offering some drag radials now, in limited 15", 16", and 17" sizes:

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=70&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

Some of the 16" and 17" ones are about 28" tall, which may be useful for MM owners, depending on their powertrain combo and gearing. I got a pair of the 275-50-17 to use on my T-Bird SC, but haven't been out yet this season to try them. M & H has a pretty good reputation for drag tires, FWIW.

Goodyear and Dunlop are offering some drag radials this year as well. The Goodyears are more traditional sizes, and the Dunlops are lower profile, larger rim diameter rubber.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/pdf/2006_price_book/dot_drag.pdf

Haven't heard anything about them yet.

Hoosier is also in the drag radial market now too. The 03 - 04 Cobra guys seem to like them, from what I've read on ModularFords.com.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/Drtire.htm

cheers
Ed N.

Glenn
06-19-2006, 07:29 PM
One thing I noticed since getting my Nitto DRs last week is the extreme stickiness of the tire. The DRs pick up every stone on the ground including paper, everything that is not nailed down on the street ends up on the tire. If I pick up too many stones I can hear them fling off and hit the inner tire well. I believe from what I have seen since last week that these tires are more for the track. Of course they did help with my 1.768 - 60' times and a 12.77. Comments??

Glenn

Perhaps, I over did it on my burn outs at Atlanta.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/9/5/BurnoutatAtl.jpg

MikesMerc
06-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Everyone has already covered this, but I'll ad my 2 cents anyway.

The MTs will get you the best hook at the track. The BFGs are close. That said i would NEVER drive either of them on the street...ever. One unexpected rain cloud and you're toast.

The Nittos come in 3rd on hook, but they are actually fairly decent on the street. I've been through rain just fine a number of times (of course extreme caution is a must in those situations).

So, it comes down to intended use. If you plan on track use, go with the MTs. If you want an all around tire, I'd get the nittos.

Glenn
06-19-2006, 08:28 PM
My concern was with how the Nittos pick-up every stone on the road and if this was normal with other users?

Glenn

BillyGman
06-19-2006, 10:22 PM
My concern was with how the Nittos pick-up every stone on the road and if this was normal with other users?

GlennYou'll get that especially right after doing a burnout, vecause drag radials have a different rubber compound, which responds more to temperature extremes than standard radials do. that means that they will grip better in 70+ degree temperatures, but they will also grip a lot less in temperatures that are under 60 degrees too. And by the same token, once you do a burnout with them to heat them up, they will be like fly paper for the next few minutes, and will pick-up every little stone and pebble that you drive over. That's just how they are, and that's why they grip better.

Breadfan
06-20-2006, 06:06 AM
Well thanks guys, I think I'll give the MT DR's a shot.

MarauderTJA
06-20-2006, 06:20 AM
One thing I noticed since getting my Nitto DRs last week is the extreme stickiness of the tire. The DRs pick up every stone on the ground including paper, everything that is not nailed down on the street ends up on the tire. If I pick up too many stones I can hear them fling off and hit the inner tire well. I believe from what I have seen since last week that these tires are more for the track. Of course they did help with my 1.768 - 60' times and a 12.77. Comments??

Glenn

Perhaps, I over did it on my burn outs at Atlanta.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/9/9/5/BurnoutatAtl.jpg

My Nitto's hooked really well when they were new. And your right, they pick up everything, including the rubber seriously sticking to the rear quarter panels. A real pain to clean. I have to admit, I may have over used them and now they are toast. The last burnout was at Orlando at FFW Spring Break Shootout. I put on a burnout show there. That's when I killed them for drag racing. Even now with the same tires on the car, plenty of tread and I have had not had any problems with them on the street in the rain or on dry pavement. But I am going to wait until the new MT's come out and try them this fall. Drag racing for the most part is over here in Florida for the summer unless we get some cool weather:confused: .

TooManyFords
06-20-2006, 12:09 PM

I know for a FACT that Mickey Thompson 29x18x18's are out... Talk about hooking up!
:D

John

merc
06-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I know for a FACT that Mickey Thompson 29x18x18's are out... Talk about hooking up!
:D

John

Who sells them ?

MarauderTJA
06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Mickey Thompson 29x18x18's are out... :D

John

What size? Street drag radials? I need 305 X 45 X 18's