PDA

View Full Version : Who likes to drive fast?

Bruce R.
06-19-2006, 06:37 AM
I was at the Safford LM event this last weekend and met a few of you folks, and saw the amount of time and effort that you put into those Marauders to make them look good... Very impressive. :)
I belong to the local section of the Mercedes Benz Club of America, and I was wondering if any of you would be interested in joining "us" at some of our driving events.
We have an autocross event once a month in Winchester, Va. If you don't know what that is, it's a relatively slow, timed course (WELL under 60 mph) on a parking lot , that tests the skills of the driver in what might be considered a city driving environment. We have a class for every car that attends, so you will not be running against Ferrari's but something that the SCCA thinks is the equal. There is only one car on the course at a time, so your only concern is tagging a traffic cone or two.....:D Those marks come off with a little car wax, I know a lot about that part...:rolleyes:
Coming up on July 29 & 30, 2006 we are going to be up at Summit Point Raceway (Shenandoah Circuit). This is a 2.2 mile road course with lots of turns, and a couple of straights that will let you open the throttle for more the one or two seconds at a time. If you have never done anything like this before, NO PROBLEM, we have instructors that will go with you. To be honest, the instructors will go with you all anyway, our insurance, as well as the tracks will not allow "newbie's" on the track without an instructor to at least verify that you will not hurt yourself. You will not be coerced into driving any faster then you want, and you will be advised to drive a little more conservatively if you're overdriving the course. We do the same for everyone. This is termed a "High Performance Driving Course" and is designed to allow everyone to learn what they and their car can do and have fun while they're doing it.
For more details, and directions I have included our web address:
http://www.gws-mbca.org/events.html

We have all kinds of cars out on the track and at our autocrosses, you will not be, and do not have to feel out of place. We have Mercedes sedans at both events that make Marauders look like light weights. We're in it for the fun of it...:beer:

Hotrauder
06-19-2006, 06:51 AM
That is great offer. Sorry I am to far away. the CAM guys and gals are in for a treat. Dennis:D

RoyLPita
06-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Welcome aboard. Thanx for the info but I am further away than Dennis is.

DEFYANT
06-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Welcome to the Machine!

That sounds like an awsome event. I would love to attend one of these! I missed Sebring last April.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Any Kenny Brown Marauders? :poke: ? You guys would tear this up!

Badger
06-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Very interesting. Sounds like what I was talkin' with Charlie about the other day or so.

Haggis
06-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Sounds like fun, will have to check my schedule. Will be keeping my eye on this thread.

Breadfan
06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Sounds like fun, I have no suspension mods and my oem tires are about at the end of their life so I'm not really into much until I get some tires atleast.

The even at Summit Point, is this like the NASA heads up stuff?

That can make for a fun weekend! :)

Cheeseheadbob
06-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Bruce, it was great meeting you and your co-pilot. Thanks for posting. I think you will get lots of interest with this invitation. I also will be watching this thread closely to see how things develop. I understand you flexed the Mercedes muscle with one of our guys on Rt. 198 :burnout: Thanks again for the invite. Bob.

jimlam56
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
That is great offer. Sorry I am to far away. the CAM guys and gals are in for a treat. Dennis:D

I agree Dennis.
Hope Defyant sees this, he would get hooked like we did at Sebring.

merc6
06-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I was supose to go to vir last weekend with my mazda guys but decided to stay up here. I would be intrested but have to check my schedule.

Bruce R.
06-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Bruce, it was great meeting you and your co-pilot. Thanks for posting. I think you will get lots of interest with this invitation. I also will be watching this thread closely to see how things develop. I understand you flexed the Mercedes muscle with one of our guys on Rt. 198 :burnout: Thanks again for the invite. Bob.
We played a little on 198 and a little more on New Hampshire Ave :burnout: his Marauder is quite hairy for a non blown car, plus I have about 1,000 lbs on you guys :o :), so the result was a given, but he gets an A+ for effort.
Guys, don't wait for this thread to develop, the available slots for non Mercedes cars close up pretty fast (it is after all an MBCA event) and the Shanandoah Circuit is a new one for us. It's only a few months old! so there will be some interest from our folks, as well as others that know about the event. Don't wait too long, don't forget your car will have to be inspected by a competent mechanic and signed off on the sheets provided on the web site. These are not big deal inspections (they look at brakes, throttle linkage, and anything else that might loosen or fail), but they must be done. Tires don't need to be REAL good, your going to wear the hell out of them anyway.
Contact Joe Wosney on the web site, or me if you have questions. Joe knows a lot more then I do he's been running these things for quite some time now.
I hope to see some American Iron up there besides Corvettes, and an occasional Firebird/Camaro (sp?). We sometimes have an exotic show up Lamborgeni, Ferrari, or Mini Cooper 'S'...................
If nothing else come on out and watch, we'll do it again next year and you'll have an idea of what to expect. It's to late for Virginia International Raceway, we did that earlier this year, and that is one heck of a track, I managed 150 on their two straights, we may do that again next year. Monitor our site.....:)

REpson
06-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Guys and Ladies,

I just moved here from Michigan and I was wondering where can I find a Sunoco Gas Station that sells 94% Octane? Back in Michigan I always fill my 04 MM up w/ this gas and never had any issues.

Since I moved here, I have to add an octane booster.

Bluerauder
06-24-2006, 05:26 AM
Guys and Ladies,

I just moved here from Michigan and I was wondering where can I find a Sunoco Gas Station that sells 94% Octane? Back in Michigan I always fill my 04 MM up w/ this gas and never had any issues.

Since I moved here, I have to add an octane booster.
Sorry Robert ..... I think 93 is the best you are gonna be able to do in the MD, DC, VA area. I use Sunoco 93 almost exclusively ... :D

MyTMerc
06-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Our local Sunoco stopped selling 94 last year. I use their 93 in the Marauder, Vette, Trans Am, Mark VIII and the trash hauler (old Chevy P/U). Come to think of it, I need my own pump. Definately more garage space!